• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pep Comics #22

35 posts in this topic

I have a lead on what i consider to be one of the most important comic books of all time, Pep Comics #22

I am driving up to look at it next week, but my scout has told me that it is missing the cover, but otherwise in decent shape for a 72 year old book.

My question is......if i can talk the dude into selling it, what is it worth?

This book NEVER seems to come on the market and when it does the prices are way out of whack when compared to guide.

The last one I remember selling was a few years ago for something like $8500, but it had a cover and was in good condition

There are a few other GA books at this location i am looking at as well, but this is the one I am really losing sleep over.

A 1.5 SA PLOD sold for $7,768 last November. Assuming most people would prefer even a 1.5 PLOD to a coverless copy, that price might be the ceiling. Unless the 1.5 was really ugly and the coverless copy is otherwise in nice shape.

Why not?

I had a fantasy cover made up for Pep 22 with Archie on it. I was hoping to find an interior to match it to, but $5K plus is too much for that bit of fun.

Can you post the fantasy cover? Sounds fun!

I have a lead on what i consider to be one of the most important comic books of all time, Pep Comics #22

I am driving up to look at it next week, but my scout has told me that it is missing the cover, but otherwise in decent shape for a 72 year old book.

My question is......if i can talk the dude into selling it, what is it worth?

This book NEVER seems to come on the market and when it does the prices are way out of whack when compared to guide.

The last one I remember selling was a few years ago for something like $8500, but it had a cover and was in good condition

There are a few other GA books at this location i am looking at as well, but this is the one I am really losing sleep over.

A Pep #22 did sell in 2006 for $8500 it was a cgc 2.0 Universal.

It was the same copy that sold on Ha.com in July of 2012 for $28,640. This book now has the make offer to owner option listed next to it on Ha.com with a minimum offer of over $37,000. A coverless copy in my opinion is easily worth 5k and potentially quite a bit more.

IIRC abotu 3 or 4 years ago there were 2 or 3 coverless Pep 22's up for sale (or maybe bought and resold) and one was on the boards I think. Anyway, it was right around the beginning of the Archie explosion in prices and these went for right around $4000 - so you can consider that a floor. $5000 seems to be about right.

Ed

Why not?

I had a fantasy cover made up for Pep 22 with Archie on it. I was hoping to find an interior to match it to, but $5K plus is too much for that bit of fun.

Front cover:

WLcNHGl.jpg

Inside back cover:

vv7YalW.jpg

Well I did it!

I am now the proud owner of one of the true grails in our hobby, albeit sans cover.

The guy didn't know what he actually had, as it was a leftover from an estate sale where he went in and just bought everything that was left at the end of the sale.

Thanks to my buddy at Hughes auctions for scouting this for me.

We sat and talked for about an hour as I looked through some of his collections. I swear this guy should be on American pickers.

He asked me what i would give him for it as he knew it was worth some money, but he said he was only looking for $500 for it since he thought it was worthless without the cover.

I showed him my copy of OSPG and we talked a bit more and we settled on an amount that will go undisclosed but that we were both happy with and was far less than some of the numbers being tossed around in this thread.

I am in the middle of packing but when my scanner resurfaces I will post some pics. I would say it is in good shape considering its age. Pages are still supple and a nice cream color.

A couple of dogears and some spine roll, but I would put it well into the VG and even FN category.

Why not?

Front cover:

WLcNHGl.jpg

Inside back cover:

vv7YalW.jpg

Splash page for Pep 25. Nice job.

5330480640_8842878ff5_z.jpg

A Pep #22 did sell in 2006 for $8500 it was a cgc 2.0 Universal.

It was the same copy that sold on Ha.com in July of 2012 for $28,640.

that's a 56% annual ROI, 6 years in a row -- now I REALLY like this book :devil:

Any comments on this extensively restored copy of Pep #22?

[font:Fixedsys]This copy of Pep #22 was removed from a bound volume,

had the first couple of pages replaced from another copy of the same book

and it still gets a CGC apparent grade of 8.0?

It's the first appearance of Archie, but seriously, $45,000?

the "CGC gift grades" just keep on coming.[/font]

Pep #22 on ebay

I think this copy has only some spine work done (and maybe flattening and cleaning). Seller makes a point about relatively minor alterations. (shrug)

The price does seem high but I thought Pep 22 was a hot book.

Any comments on this extensively restored copy of Pep #22?

[font:Fixedsys]This copy of Pep #22 was removed from a bound volume,

had the first couple of pages replaced from another copy of the same book

and it still gets a CGC apparent grade of 8.0?

It's the first appearance of Archie, but seriously, $45,000?

the "CGC gift grades" just keep on coming.[/font]

Pep #22 on ebay

It's in a purple label. With Extensive (P). So I don't see how this is a gift grade. If it looks like an 8.0, then apparent 8.0 is the correct restored grade.

(shrug)

[font:Fixedsys]Bound volumes generally trim the comics down to a smaller size.

it may only be 1/8 or 1/4", but it this book wasn't slabbed,

you'd notice that it's lightly smaller than an unrestored copy.

Also, if it only needed leafcasting and CT to recreate a spine,

why wasn't it graded as a slight or moderate restoration?

[/font]

I don't think it was trimmed or it would have been noted on the label.