• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie: Iron Man 3

427 posts in this topic

This Grantland piece sums up my feelings on IM3 nicely.

I like Black. I do.

He's just...so....much ever so moreso.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9234692/the-twisted-career-hollywood-bad-boy-shane-black

This actually bums me out a little bit - because I had no idea of the pedigree of the screenwriter for IM3. Shane Black wrote several Lethal Weapons, The Last Boy Scout, Last Action Hero (which tanked, but had crazy action) and probably the greatest female-lead action movie ever: The Long Kiss Goodnight - he definitely was not firing on all cylinders for IM3.

IM3 was a fine film, with OK dialogue and fun to watch - but not really the same level as the other films mentioned above. I can definitely see the reasoning behind some of the logic and continuity problems very clearly now that I understand who the screenwriter is.

The Mandarin was a let down. Breathing fire, really? Slicing up iron man suits like butter? Super henchmen are bullet-proof but Hansen is not? Genetic enhancements also enhance your looks?

I just can't get past the above things. The movie felt a little rushed, but overall still a good ol' popcorn flick :)

Movie mistake: Tony's beat up face switches sides from when he breaks out of the zip-ties and when he and war machine are on the boat.

Jerome

Why would Hansen be bullet proof? She didn't take Extremis.

Ah, ok then. I must've remembered wrong.

Jerome

I like Black. I do.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9234692/the-twisted-career-hollywood-bad-boy-shane-black

This actually bums me out a little bit - because I had no idea of the pedigree of the screenwriter for IM3. Shane Black wrote several Lethal Weapons, The Last Boy Scout, Last Action Hero (which tanked, but had crazy action) and probably the greatest female-lead action movie ever: The Long Kiss Goodnight - he definitely was not firing on all cylinders for IM3.

IM3 was a fine film, with OK dialogue and fun to watch - but not really the same level as the other films mentioned above. I can definitely see the reasoning behind some of the logic and continuity problems very clearly now that I understand who the screenwriter is.

You're more down on IM3 than I am, but I'm with you.

It just feels like he invoked much more of his personality into the film than he should have.

KKBB and TLBS are amazing movies.

$242 million worldwide before the American release

$175 million in the US on opening weekend

:applause:

-slym

True. And I'm glad when comic book movies make a lot of money, because it increases the chance they will continue to make more.

Avatar and those Johnny Depp Pirate movies made a ton of money too. Doesn't make them great films though. IM 3 was an ok movie, not a great one in my view

Also, as echoed by many, there were to many moments I was wondering why either the Avengers didn't come help (an easy fix - just throw in a nugget that explains how they are busy elsewhere) and even more so, why he didn't call his suits to come help him earlier.

Weren't the suits buried under rubble. At some point Jarvis tells him the crane cleared the debris. I assumed that let him know he could open that door to the sub-basement and release the suits.

Yes. It was pretty clear, at least, to me.

Yes that was clear to anybody who was paying attention and could understand the complicated plot.

Iron Man 3

Saw it this weekend,

Went in thinking it was going to be horrible because I wasn't "feeling" the Mandarin from the trailers.

Plot holes a' plenty.

HATED what they did to Mandarin.

After I thought about it for a while, I started to LOVE what they did to Mandarin.

Still, it's Mandarin, so I should hate what they did to him and I feel like I'm being unfaithful. :facepalm:

Better than Iron Man 2.

Maybe better than Iron Man 1, but I'll have to watch it a few more times to decide.

Two thumbs up. It was a fun movie, even with all the holes in the story.

I may have even enjoyed it more than the Avengers.

Iron Man 3

Saw it this weekend,

Went in thinking it was going to be horrible because I wasn't "feeling" the Mandarin from the trailers.

Plot holes a' plenty.

After I thought about it for a while, I started to LOVE what they did to Mandarin.

Still, it's Mandarin, so I should hate what they did to him and I feel like I'm being unfaithful. :facepalm:

Better than Iron Man 2.

Maybe better than Iron Man 1, but I'll have to watch it a few more times to decide.

Better than Iron Man 1?

WOW do we ever disagree here.

IM 3 has the most ridiculous fight I have ever seen in a modern day super hero movie which was the end when we had Tony fall into so many different suits I lost count.

Iron Man 3

Saw it this weekend,

Plot holes a' plenty.

Better than Iron Man 2.

Better than Iron Man 1?

IM 3 has the most ridiculous fight I have ever seen in a modern day super hero movie which was the end when we had Tony fall into so many different suits I lost count.

Yeah, it stretched the imagination at times, but I still enjoyed it.

Had there been a decent villain in #1, it would have been untouchable.

Iron Man 3

Saw it this weekend,

Plot holes a' plenty.

Better than Iron Man 2.

Better than Iron Man 1?

Yeah, it stretched the imagination at times, but I still enjoyed it.

See that is what I loved about the first movie. The villain was extremely well written, the villain was Tony's own technology used in ways he did not anticipate. Stane was just the catalyst. Very well done.

I like Black. I do.

I hear that. But odds are it's not really completely 'his'.

On a movie like this I doubt any director is on their own. The outside influences from the studio, even small ones can alter the perception of a movie, and sometimes even make an established director walk away from the project.

Obviously Black, as someone not as established yet as he'd like, wasn't going to do that on this film, but it'll be interesting to see, as he makes a fortune off of this, how it all goes down on a future IM project.

Even the biggest of the bad boys can get smart enough as they get older to pander a bit to a studio handing them a golden egg.

+1

Yea Iron Monger is dumb. When I re-watch the first film, I stop right about the time that the scene where he's running from the two F-15s is over.

See that is what I loved about the first movie. The villain was extremely well written, the villain was Tony's own technology used in ways he did not anticipate. Stane was just the catalyst. Very well done.

While I agree, something about the fight itself left me cold. And although I usually love Jeff Bridges to the point of being a fan, I didn't like him in this film.

Double thumbs down. Even my fellow boardie buddy who saw it with me disliked it., and he pretty much LOVES all of these movies.

A silly mess.

(I though I was watching IRON MAN vs. IRON FIST the last 10 minutes of the movie)

+1

Yea Iron Monger is dumb. When I re-watch the first film, I stop right about the time that the scene where he's running from the two F-15s is over.

Couldn't disagree more. Love Iron Monger. Jeff Bridges gave a great performance. Now Whiplash on the other hand ...