• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

He could be an adopted brother of Sue Storm.

That isn't really the Fantastic Four then is it?

As long as Sue Storm is the right height this movie will rock.

:baiting:

:eyeroll:

There will never, ever, be an FF film done right. Ever never. :P

The first two were aimed exclusively at children. I just don't see how they could refit the franchise for a more mature audience.

Be true to the characters and stories, just like with the successful Marvel films; I think it could be done, but am not holding my breath.

The best stuff from that era was written to the understanding of children, but layered enough so that adults could enjoy it as well. If they do that and play it straight I don't see why it couldn't be successful (shrug)

It seems to be a hard trick to pull off, judging by the first two installments. Certain films (The Invincibles, for example) prove that it can be done.

:eyeroll:

lol

You actually responded to that?

I feel like we have had this discussion before. These heroes are fictional characters. As someone just mentioned if a good actor, regardless of color, can bring our heroes to life in a way that works why wouldn't we be happy?

I imagine if Leonardo DiCaprio were cast as the Black Panther people wouldn't be thrilled.

This is a stupid argument. It does matter and there's no good reason to change it.

Okay then. I suppose you have your opinion there, that is fine. My opinion is not stupid though.

Alicia was played by an African-American and no one said a thing (I think). No one complained that she wasn't really blind either.

I'm still surprised that Lt. Dan had legs in real life. (He wasn't that famous prior to the Forrest Gump movie...)

If Johnny and his sister are both African-American, it shouldn't be a problem in my mind.

If they meet up with the InHumans, that'd be a multi-racial cast as well.

The first two were aimed exclusively at children. I just don't see how they could refit the franchise for a more mature audience.

Be true to the characters and stories, just like with the successful Marvel films; I think it could be done, but am not holding my breath.

The best stuff from that era was written to the understanding of children, but layered enough so that adults could enjoy it as well. If they do that and play it straight I don't see why it couldn't be successful (shrug)

It seems to be a hard trick to pull off, judging by the first two installments. Certain films (The Invincibles, for example) prove that it can be done.

I can't even comment on the first two films. There were bits that were OK, but once Galactus the Cloud showed up I washed my hands of it lol

I feel like we have had this discussion before. These heroes are fictional characters. As someone just mentioned if a good actor, regardless of color, can bring our heroes to life in a way that works why wouldn't we be happy?

I imagine if Leonardo DiCaprio were cast as the Black Panther people wouldn't be thrilled.

This is a stupid argument. It does matter and there's no good reason to change it.

Okay then. I suppose you have your opinion there, that is fine. My opinion is not stupid though.

:facepalm: and doh!

and for good measure :eyeroll:

That's not very polite.

He's just saying his take is different from yours. Why is it stupid?

I can't even comment on the first two films. There were bits that were OK, but once Galactus the Cloud showed up I washed my hands of it lol

It's a shame that the filmmakers didn't attempt to ape the comic version of Galactus and went for the lazy cop-out, but it was no surprise given the lightweight tone of the movies.

...by casting a black Human Torch.

Honestly, just let the rights go back to Marvel...PLEASE.

The day after they announce Mark Millar being hired to oversee the Marvel properties at Fox they announce this mess. Ridiculous. He's doing a bang-up job right outta the gate! doh!

The FF is my favorite comic of all time, and they keep screwing it up film-wise.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

not-sure-if-racist-or-joking.jpg[/url]

Why does it have to be either / or? I was against MCD playing the Kingpin and I'm againt Jamie Foxx playing Electro...just like I would be against it if Bruce Willis had been cast as Shaft.

Because skin color is such a trivial difference. If you insist on skin color matching then you should insist on hair, eye color, height, width and shoe size. What really matters is acting ability, plot and the ability for those two things to come together.

But if the human torch being black ruins it for you, that is fine. But it is still a negative distinction based on race. And hence racist.

yeah the Galactus cloud was just silly :eyeroll:

Alicia was played by an African-American and no one said a thing (I think). No one complained that she wasn't really blind either.

I'm still surprised that Lt. Dan had legs in real life. (He wasn't that famous prior to the Forrest Gump movie...)

If Johnny and his sister are both African-American, it shouldn't be a problem in my mind.

Serious question. Would it have been ridiculous if Tom Cruise had been cast as Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story? Of course it would, because Bruce was Chinese.

And no, it doesn't matter that one is based on fact ( Dragon was about as factual as a Saturday morning cartoon ).

That's not very polite.

I wasn't calling him stupid, I was calling the argument stupid. If they're going to take the characters this far off center, why not just create something totally new like the Incredibles?

yeah the Galactus cloud was just silly :eyeroll:

I don't think I've happened across one person that felt this was a wise choice.

And what a character to make irrelevant at a critical part of the FF-Silver Surfer story. What a shame!

The day after they announce Mark Millar being hired to oversee the Marvel properties at Fox they announce this mess. Ridiculous. He's doing a bang-up job right outta the gate! doh!

The FF is my favorite comic of all time, and they keep screwing it up film-wise.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Why does it have to be either / or? I was against MCD playing the Kingpin and I'm againt Jamie Foxx playing Electro...just like I would be against it if Bruce Willis had been cast as Shaft.

Because skin color is such a trivial difference. If you insist on skin color matching then you should insist on hair, eye color, height, width and shoe size. What really matters is acting ability, plot and the ability for those two things to come together.

But if the human torch being black ruins it for you, that is fine. But it is still a negative distinction based on race. And hence racist.

So I'm a racist because I prefer fidelity to the characters that have existed for 50 years?

Wow

Serious question. Would it have been ridiculous if Tom Cruise had been cast as Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story? Of course it would, because Bruce was Chinese.

And no, it doesn't matter that one is based on fact ( Dragon was about as factual as a Saturday morning cartoon ).

That would be fine.

Marlon Brando played a Japanese man in The Tea House of the August Moon.

You just had Hugo weaving play a mixed Chinese/Caucasian in Cloud atlas.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

So I'm a racist because I prefer fidelity to the characters that have existed for 50 years?

Wow

Shush, you racist. :sumo:

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

Wow

I think so. I could be wrong.

That's not very polite.

I wasn't calling him stupid, I was calling the argument stupid. If they're going to take the characters this far off center, why not just create something totally new like the Incredibles?

Trying to modernize and make socially updated material that had a caucasian bias may not be a bad thing, and if anything make the movies more relevant to reality.

Stick too closely to old material and it may limit the audience that otherwise this would appeal to. But maybe I am wrong.