• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

I believe some superheroes shouldn't change their race (Superman,Batman Wolverine,Captain America,Wonder Woman) mainly because they'll so iconic that it would anger a lot of fans or non-fans.

But I think some characters could do well changing that person's race.

Kingpin was played by Michael Clarke Duncan and I thought he did a good job.

Perry White will be played by Lawrence Fishburne.

There's the rumor that Jimmy Olson will be Jenny Olson in Man of Steel (no confirmation on that yet)

Why not use Miles Morales as Spider-Man in future movies?

I won't have minded John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern

Would having a black actor play Johnny Storm good?

Maybe,it could make the character more interesting or fun.

But we don't know yet.

So,I don't mind seeing a different take on a character just as long as the change makes sense.

Why does changing the established race of a 50 year old character make sense?

Why does it not make sense if the right actor comes along? (shrug)

Indeed.

I believe some superheroes shouldn't change their race (Superman,Batman Wolverine,Captain America,Wonder Woman) mainly because they'll so iconic that it would anger a lot of fans or non-fans.

There's the rumor that Jimmy Olson will be Jenny Olson in Man of Steel (no confirmation on that yet)

But we don't know yet.

So,I don't mind seeing a different take on a character just as long as the change makes sense.

So you're ok with a white guy, probably Chris Evans, playing Luke Cage?

Back on the old Byrne Ward on AOL the argument against that by some of the dimmer bulbs was that Cage's "blackness" was an intrinsic part of the character.

But we don't know yet.

It would be tough swapping out the background of Luke Cage to maintain that look and feel that is necessary to deliver the way this character does.

But if an Oriental Spider-Man actor can make the character shine, and still maintain the backstory and general direction of the comics, why not?

It's a case-by-case basis that these decisions would be made. I would hope someone doesn't go off the deep end and just change character races to experiment.

But we don't know yet.

See the bolded above.

Anything else is just jumping through hoops to make a square peg fit into a round hole.

So if a change makes sense, but the character is more modern in origin, then it is okay to change out their race? That seems like a challenging rule to follow if someone can make Captain Marvel or other less common cinema-experienced characters finally appear in movies.

But we don't know yet.

Back on the old Byrne Ward on AOL the argument against that by some of the dimmer bulbs was that Cage's "blackness" was an intrinsic part of the character.

So the whiteness of being white Sue's white brother isn't an intrinsic part of the character?

But we don't know yet.

It would be tough swapping out the background of Luke Cage to maintain that look and feel that is necessary to deliver the way this character does.

But if an Oriental Spider-Man actor can make the character shine, and still maintain the backstory and general direction of the comics, why not?

It's a case-by-case basis that these decisions would be made. I would hope someone doesn't go off the deep end and just change character races to experiment.

Wow....just.....wow

I would hope someone doesn't go off the deep end and just change character races to experiment.

I thought you didn't care. Now you do?

Hey, Meryl Streep is a great actor...why not have her be Reed Richards?

See how ridiculous it is?

Peace,

Chip

No, let's get back to your other statement that was wrong, Mister Peace.

:baiting:

You said Colossus was shorter than Wolverine, yet this was incorrect. Now you want to swap out the gender of a character as another approach when race was your main concern.

For those who are having problems:

Its not the issue that Torchy could be played by a black guy, its the issue of changing the FF for the sake of it.

Thats it. Nothing else.

Blade was awesome. You want Ron Jeremy to play him?

I would hope someone doesn't go off the deep end and just change character races to experiment.

I thought you didn't care. Now you do?

If someone is just swapping out character races without the right direction and story, you bet I care. But if someone can make the creative delivery work, of course I am not against it.

You said Colossus was shorter than Wolverine, yet this was incorrect. Now you want to swap out the gender of a character as another approach when race was your main concern.

No, accuracy to the source material was my main concern. That's been lost since the 2nd post of the thread.

Fine, then. You want to pick nits? I'll amend my statement...Colossus should be a LOT taller than Wolverine...not 6 inches.

Peace,

Chip

But we don't know yet.

So the whiteness of being white Sue's white brother isn't an intrinsic part of the character?

There's the rub obviously. White as the default setting is OK to change, because being a white American doesn't have anything instrinsic to it. ( sarcasm, if I wasn't being too obvious ).

I like Chris Evans, but I wouldn't want to see him play Cage..because he'd be miscast as that character.

No, accuracy to the source material was my main concern. That's been lost since the 2nd post of the thread.

Fine, then. You want to pick nits? I'll amend my statement...Colossus should be a LOT taller than Wolverine...not 6 inches.

Peace,

Chip

There ya go, then. So he was taller by quite a bit.

I feel like we have had this discussion before. These heroes are fictional characters. As someone just mentioned if a good actor, regardless of color, can bring our heroes to life in a way that works why wouldn't we be happy?

(thumbs u That about sums it up.

I loved Sam jackson as Fury in The Avengers - we don;t need no stinkin' white Nick Fury.

There ya go, then. So he was taller by quite a bit.

Given your sig, I'm surprised you're giving me beef about this thread.

Peace,

Chip

It was to make Logan laugh because all he could talk about for a little while was Wolverine being 5'4" tall (he's 5'3") and Hugh Jackman being 6'2" tall. So we had some fun with that "concern".

I'm not trying to give you beef because a difference in belief. You were mistaken on the movie actor characteristics by quite a bit. Now if Wolverine was the tallest character in the movie, and it didn't make sense, I would have a problem with this.

Pax