• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

The only reason the FF were all white back then was rascism.

No one was accepting a Black Heroe then .

I have a feeling if Stan could get away with it Someone on team would have been black

I have a feeling if Stan could get away with it Someone on team would have been white black

Good point!

I have a feeling if Stan could get away with it Someone on team would have been white black

Good point!

Thanks for catching typo

It's a stupid change. For better or worse, the characters are what they are. When they were created, America was a different place. So be it.

The Nick Fury example is a poor one, imho, because that was something that can be at least attributable to the comics as Fury in the Ultimate universe was specifically modeled after SLJ.

It's stunt casting. Would you think it odd if a Sherlock Holmes movie came out with Homes as an Asian? Or a Russian? What if Tarzan was black? How about making Huck Finn latino?

All of those are possible, but they're takes on the original character. It's an alternate universe.

If they make Johnny Storm black, they might as well show them gaining their powers from being hit by lightning or make them mutants. No need for anything at that point to adhere to canon.

Thinking this way doesn't make someone a *&(ing racist. It's repugnant to make that presumption imho

Good point!

Thanks for catching typo

I knew where you were going with the statement.

:foryou:

It's a stupid change. For better or worse, the characters are what they are. When they were created, America was a different place. So be it.

The Nick Fury example is a poor one, imho, because that was something that can be at least attributable to the comics as Fury in the Ultimate universe was specifically modeled after SLJ.

It's stunt casting. Would you think it odd if a Sherlock Holmes movie came out with Homes as an Asian? Or a Russian? What if Tarzan was black? How about making Huck Finn latino?

All of those are possible, but they're takes on the original character. It's an alternate universe.

If they make Johnny Storm black, they might as well show them gaining their powers from being hit by lightning or make them mutants. No need for anything at that point to adhere to canon.

Thinking this way doesn't make someone a *&(ing racist. It's repugnant to make that presumption imho

Watch Elementary on CBS

Watson is an Asian Woman..

Great Show

I don't understand this example at all. If Johnny Storm was black in the Ultimate universe, you'd be okay with the casting? Or if he was 'specifically modeled' after a certain actor?

I'm a little concerned they're changing things just to change things, but the previous FF movies were terrible. Maybe it's time to mix it up. :wishluck:

Watch Elementary on CBS

Great Show

I like that casting of Watson.

Watch Elementary on CBS

Great Show

It's also an example of my point, as it's an Alternate Universe take on Sherlock Holmes. It's modern-day. Hell, Watson isn't even British. Does Holmes at least use cocaine or is the only connection the name and the fact that he's like, really smart and stuff?

I have a feeling if Stan could get away with it Someone on team would have been black

The only reason they are making all these characters black these days is run away political correctness.

otherwise why not make the torch mexican, and mr fantastic chinese, the thing can be a pacific islander, etc.....

It's only one race they are switching things too.

When they start mixing it up across the whole ethnic spectrum, than fine.

Until then it stinks of political correctness

I think for some comic fans, they really want to see on the big screen the characters they've lived for so long. And to varying degrees, they prefer that depiction to be be as true as possible to the the source material.

If ff was my favorite and I'd read every issue since the sixties, I think I'd prefer a movie that was creative AND true to the source material. I don't think that makes me a racist.

I don't personally feel that way, but I don't think it's wrong to feel that way

I don't understand this example at all. If Johnny Storm was black in the Ultimate universe, you'd be okay with the casting? Or if he was 'specifically modeled' after a certain actor?

I'm a little concerned they're changing things just to change things, but the previous FF movies were terrible. Maybe it's time to mix it up. :wishluck:

I wouldn't care one way or the other, as the chance of me seeing the movie regardless is somewhere south of zero.

But yeah, there would at least be some canonical reference to the books, rather than just grabbing any four actors and calling them the FF

Watch Elementary on CBS

Great Show

It's also an example of my point, as it's an Alternate Universe take on Sherlock Holmes. It's modern-day. Hell, Watson isn't even British. Does Holmes at least use cocaine or is the only connection the name and the fact that he's like, really smart and stuff?

He had a drug problem and Watson helps him kick it.

But some Holmes Fans were pissed.

Cant change anything, Its been that way for 100 years dammnit

Same issues I see here

Just the fact that they are even thinking about doing this pretty much guarantees this movie will be a pile of dung. Marvel/Disney needs to do whatever it can to get the rights back to it's flagship title.

The infinity gauntlet story would be so much better with Silver Surfer/Reed Richards involved.

I think for some comic fans, they really want to see on the big screen the characters they've lived for so long. And to varying degrees, they prefer that depiction to be be as true as possible to the the source material.

Hence my (and others') disdain of Hugh Jackman as a tall, pretty Wolverine.

Thank you.

-slym

I wouldn't care one way or the other, as the chance of me seeing the movie regardless is somewhere south of zero.

But yeah, there would at least be some canonical reference to the books, rather than just grabbing any four actors and calling them the FF

I agree. The screenwriter doesn't need any more hurdles in writing this movie.

I just don't really care if Sue and Johnny Storm are black / African American. If you start at the origin with four people going into space, their race is more or less irrelevant.

Maybe it's a cash grab by the studio. Or maybe they found a great actor. Who knows.

I dunno, I kinda dig Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. At first I was "Fury-ous" at their decision to change up the character like that.....now he's grown on me.

So Flame-on Fantastic Fo'

Hence my (and others') disdain of Hugh Jackman as a tall, pretty Wolverine.

Thank you.

-slym

I like Jackman as an actor, he was miscast in that role. Just as Nic Cage would've been miscast if he had actually gotten to play Superman.

Could Denzel Washington play Mr. Fantastic and be very good in the role? Probably, he's a terific actor. Would he be miscast? Yes.

[font:Book Antiqua]+ 1[/font]

(thumbs u :golfclap: