• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

In this case - you are.

I have no issue with the OP being disappointed that Torchy is going to be played by a Black actor.

Honestly, the criticism here is the change to a 50 yr old story for the sake of it, especially as his sibling is also in the story and by default will have to be played by a black actress.

I'd be just as pizzed if they cast aJapanese actor.

The Fantastic Four are an all-white group - nothing racist here - thats the story.

To change it for changes sake, smacks of desperation to grab some hype, even at this early stage.

I'd be just as pizzed if Luke Cage was played by Cochran from 'Survivor' - theres nothing racist here - move along, nothing to see, and please, put the pitchforks back where you found them.

Thank you. This is exactly my point. If they're changing something like this, this early in the development of the movie...it's a train wreck. It's the same thing as a Galactus Cloud.

I can't believe the amount of people here that are supposedly comic book fans...that care about these characters...that are okay with major changes to things we've loved and followed for decades.

It's just weird to me that most would be on-board with any changes to these properties. If they're going to change things, do something new and leave something alone that's lasted for decades as it is.

Peace,

Chip

I'm okay with an Oriental Spider-Man, an African-American Captain America, an Indian Hulk or an Arab Iron Man. As long as the movies deliver, and do all they can to make the stories follow something of the original material, then the right decisions have been made.

Sounds like a Village People reboot. hm

If in the end we are all posting on here "WOW THAT MOVIE ROCKED", I'm all for it. To be close-minded and assume everything must be 1950s-1960s caucasian would be a shame.

Especially if there are actors that can really make these roles stand out.

fat-spiderman-dancing.gif

I said "stand out", not fall over.

lol

I'm okay with an Oriental Spider-Man, an African-American Captain America, an Indian Hulk or an Arab Iron Man. As long as the movies deliver, and do all they can to make the stories follow something of the original material, then the right decisions have been made.

Sounds like a Village People reboot. hm

If in the end we are all posting on here "WOW THAT MOVIE ROCKED", I'm all for it. To be close-minded and assume everything must be 1950s-1960s caucasian would be a shame.

Especially if there are actors that can really make these roles stand out.

fat-spiderman-dancing.gif

I said "stand out", not fall over.

lol

lol

Alicia was played by an African-American and no one said a thing (I think). No one complained that she wasn't really blind either.

I'm still surprised that Lt. Dan had legs in real life. (He wasn't that famous prior to the Forrest Gump movie...)

If Johnny and his sister are both African-American, it shouldn't be a problem in my mind.

If they meet up with the InHumans, that'd be a multi-racial cast as well.

Serious question. Would it have been ridiculous if Tom Cruise had been cast as Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story? Of course it would, because Bruce was Chinese.

And no, it doesn't matter that one is based on fact ( Dragon was about as factual as a Saturday morning cartoon ).

Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, California and his parents were from Hong Kong, so he's Cantonese. He speaks Cantonese and not Mandarin.

Jason Scott Lee (no relation) who played him in the movie Dragon is of Chinese-Hawaiian descent which is close enough I guess. He was born in LA.

Now, David Carradine is another matter...

Dragon is one of my favorite all-time movies.

As far as a black human torch. Actually he sounds like the perfect character to change. I'm all for it as long as they can do it right for once.

Speaking of "minority" characters. There really are not that many at all.

Black Panther, Luke Cage, Cloak, the falcon are about all I can think of, and they are all black. I can't even think of any other ethnicities besides white.

If you're a comicbook fan on these boards I'm not surprised ;) If one is a fan of Bruce Lee the person, I don't see how they can like Dragon. For a person who led a VERY interesting life, H'Wood certainly took quite a few liberties in the telling of his story.

In this case - you are.

I have no issue with the OP being disappointed that Torchy is going to be played by a Black actor.

Honestly, the criticism here is the change to a 50 yr old story for the sake of it, especially as his sibling is also in the story and by default will have to be played by a black actress.

The Fantastic Four are an all-white group - nothing racist here - thats the story.

To change it for changes sake, smacks of desperation to grab some hype, even at this early stage.

I'd be just as pizzed if Luke Cage was played by Cochran from 'Survivor' - theres nothing racist here - move along, nothing to see, and please, put the pitchforks back where you found them.

Thank you. This is exactly my point. If they're changing something like this, this early in the development of the movie...it's a train wreck. It's the same thing as a Galactus Cloud.

I can't believe the amount of people here that are supposedly comic book fans...that care about these characters...that are okay with major changes to things we've loved and followed for decades.

It's just weird to me that most would be on-board with any changes to these properties. If they're going to change things, do something new and leave something alone that's lasted for decades as it is.

Peace,

Chip

The bolded is what flabbergasts me more than anything.

He could be an adopted brother of Sue Storm.

That isn't really the Fantastic Four then is it?

As long as Sue Storm is the right height this movie will rock.

:baiting:

...by casting a black Human Torch.

Honestly, just let the rights go back to Marvel...PLEASE.

The day after they announce Mark Millar being hired to oversee the Marvel properties at Fox they announce this mess. Ridiculous. He's doing a bang-up job right outta the gate! doh!

The FF is my favorite comic of all time, and they keep screwing it up film-wise.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

not-sure-if-racist-or-joking.jpg[/url]

Why does it have to be either / or? I was against MCD playing the Kingpin and I'm againt Jamie Foxx playing Electro...just like I would be against it if Bruce Willis had been cast as Shaft.

Because skin color is such a trivial difference. If you insist on skin color matching then you should insist on hair, eye color, height, width and shoe size. What really matters is acting ability, plot and the ability for those two things to come together.

But if the human torch being black ruins it for you, that is fine. But it is still a negative distinction based on race. And hence racist.

So I'm a racist because I prefer fidelity to the characters that have existed for 50 years?

Wow

I think so. I could be wrong.

In this case - you are.

Read my other posts. The fidelity argument has been dismissed. You can only insist of racial fidelity if you also insist on other trivial attributes like height also being the same as the comics. If you dont you are selectively promoting fidelity and your real problem is that he is black.

Read my other posts. The fidelity argument has been dismissed. You can only insist of racial fidelity if you also insist on other trivial attributes like height also being the same as the comics. If you dont you are selectively promoting fidelity and your real problem is that he is black.

That's my whole point...they need to remain faithful to the comic. I also have problems with Wolverine being taller than most of the other X-Men, including Colossus.

I don't have a problem with an actor being black. However, you want one on a super-hero team in a movie? Do something new...DON'T use the Fantastic Four.

Peace,

Chip

That's my whole point...they need to remain faithful to the comic. I also have problems with Wolverine being taller than most of the other X-Men, including Colossus.

I don't have a problem with an actor being black. However, you want one on a super-hero team in a movie? Do something new...DON'T use the Fantastic Four.

Peace,

Chip

Colossus was 6'8" in the movie to Hugh Jackman's 6'2" height. How was Wolverine taller?

In this case - you are.

Peace,

Chip

The bolded is what flabbergasts me more than anything.

For the record I have no problem with Nick Fury being Black or the new Daredevil being Hispanic. These guys are solo characters. If they do a good job fine. But the FF is a family. Johnny Storm, Sue Storm (Richards after the wedding), Reed Richards. Man, by altering the race of one member you have to change the whole ethos of the story for all four characters.

And certain characters have certain established backgrounds. Doctor Doom is a eastern European gypsy, should they make him a pigmy from Africa? Captain America is a blond haired blue eyed all-American boy from the 1940s, should they make him a punk rocker form the 1980s? Spider-man is a New Yorker, should he be from Cleveland now? The Mandarin is Chinese, should he be Jewish? (You'll never see me coming... for your foreskin!) And the Hulk is green! (well sometimes grey, and now-a-days red too, OK bad example.)

I believe some superheroes shouldn't change their race (Superman,Batman Wolverine,Captain America,Wonder Woman) mainly because they'll so iconic that it would anger a lot of fans or non-fans.

But I think some characters could do well changing that person's race.

Kingpin was played by Michael Clarke Duncan and I thought he did a good job.

Perry White will be played by Lawrence Fishburne.

There's the rumor that Jimmy Olson will be Jenny Olson in Man of Steel (no confirmation on that yet)

Why not use Miles Morales as Spider-Man in future movies?

I won't have minded John Stewart instead of Hal Jordan as Green Lantern

Would having a black actor play Johnny Storm good?

Maybe,it could make the character more interesting or fun.

But we don't know yet.

So,I don't mind seeing a different take on a character just as long as the change makes sense.

Peace,

Chip

Colossus was 6'8" in the movie to Hugh Jackman's 6'2" height. How was Wolverine taller?

lol

I believe some superheroes shouldn't change their race (Superman,Batman Wolverine,Captain America,Wonder Woman) mainly because they'll so iconic that it would anger a lot of fans or non-fans.

There's the rumor that Jimmy Olson will be Jenny Olson in Man of Steel (no confirmation on that yet)

But we don't know yet.

So,I don't mind seeing a different take on a character just as long as the change makes sense.

Why does changing the established race of a 50 year old character make sense?

Peace,

Chip

lol

See, you have these guys all confused over height.

Next thing you know, we'll be hearing how Hugh Jackman is dwarfing Galactus.

(:

But we don't know yet.

Why does it not make sense if the right actor comes along? (shrug)

He could be an adopted brother of Sue Storm.

That isn't really the Fantastic Four then is it?

As long as Sue Storm is the right height this movie will rock.

:baiting:

...by casting a black Human Torch.

Honestly, just let the rights go back to Marvel...PLEASE.

The day after they announce Mark Millar being hired to oversee the Marvel properties at Fox they announce this mess. Ridiculous. He's doing a bang-up job right outta the gate! doh!

The FF is my favorite comic of all time, and they keep screwing it up film-wise.

Mo-rons.

Peace,

Chip

not-sure-if-racist-or-joking.jpg[/url]

Why does it have to be either / or? I was against MCD playing the Kingpin and I'm againt Jamie Foxx playing Electro...just like I would be against it if Bruce Willis had been cast as Shaft.

Because skin color is such a trivial difference. If you insist on skin color matching then you should insist on hair, eye color, height, width and shoe size. What really matters is acting ability, plot and the ability for those two things to come together.

But if the human torch being black ruins it for you, that is fine. But it is still a negative distinction based on race. And hence racist.

So I'm a racist because I prefer fidelity to the characters that have existed for 50 years?

Wow

I think so. I could be wrong.

In this case - you are.

Nobody said that. I don't expect you to have followed my thoughts on comicbook movies for the last 4 years on the boards. But ask people who have paid attention and you'll see that I do insist on "trivial" attributes.

But we don't know yet.

So you're ok with a white guy, probably Chris Evans, playing Luke Cage?

But we don't know yet.

See the bolded above.

Anything else is just jumping through hoops to make a square peg fit into a round hole.