• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four reboot is already screwed up...

1,093 posts in this topic

If you start at the origin with four people going into space, their race is more or less irrelevant.

No. No. No. No. No. I don't know about the rest of you, but I want to see the characters I've read for the past 50+ years on the screen!!! If they changed his flame to green, it would bother me just as much.

If you start at the origin with four people going into space, their race is more or less irrelevant.

No. No. No. No. No. I don't know about the rest of you, but I want to see the characters I've read for the past 50+ years on the screen!!! If they changed his flame to green, it would bother me just as much.

I was thinking of saying the same thing.

If they made Ben Grimm purple, or gave the storms black hair, and made Reed a blonde.

What if they cast a female to play Ben Grimm?

Why couldn't he have been a girl?

I'm sure Reed wouldn't have minded sharing his college dorm room with a chick.

:whistle:

I'm sure Reed wouldn't have minded sharing his college dorm room with a chick.

:whistle:

He may have learned to stretch parts of his anatomy before the accident. hm

Only if she is a 44H hot Asian. I always pictured The Thing as that.

Maybe I'm confusing this with another character.

Quotes were messed up here before I quoted...

@ whomever said "If you start at the origin with four people going into space, their race is more or less irrelevant."

This is all wrong.

Most super heroes were loners.

Superman Batman Hulk Spidey Daredevil you name them.

What made the FF special was that they were family (biological mostly) before they became superheros.

They were not just four random people who went to space.

The only reason the FF were all white back then was rascism.

No one was accepting a Black Heroe then .

I have a feeling if Stan could get away with it Someone on team would have been black

This. The problem with fidelity to the source material is if you are going to be totally true to the source material only then will it make sense. If you place the Fantastic Four in the early sixties it actually makes sense that the four people are all white. In the early sixties the inherent racism meant that the four astronauts/highly successful business people were all in fact white. If you had random people being mutated it actually makes sense that the private school you create for mutants only ever gets white students. If you put the team in the modern times the likelihood that all four astronauts (or all of the Avengers/X-Men) were white are very slim. If you update the story to be in the modern times and want it to be realistic some changes will have to be made.

The only reason the FF were all white back then was rascism.

No one was accepting a Black Heroe then .

I have a feeling if Stan could get away with it Someone on team would have been black

This. The problem with fidelity to the source material is if you are going to be totally true to the source material only then will it make sense. If you place the Fantastic Four in the early sixties it actually makes sense that the four people are all white. In the early sixties the inherent racism meant that the four astronauts/highly successful business people were all in fact white. If you had random people being mutated it actually makes sense that the private school you create for mutants only ever gets white students. If you put the team in the modern times the likelihood that all four astronauts (or all of the Avengers/X-Men) were white are very slim. If you update the story to be in the modern times and want it to be realistic some changes will have to be made.

Fantastic Four: First Class. The black guy could be killed first in it

Putting aside the awful image posted by someone earlier - has anyone actually thought about the potential outcry when a Black guy goes up in flames?

But the FF is a family. Johnny Storm, Sue Storm (Richards after the wedding), Reed Richards. Man, by altering the race of one member you have to change the whole ethos of the story for all four characters.

Okay. Make them all black then.

I have a bit of a hard time taking most of this criticism very seriously considering the Human Torch was originally an android named Jim. The only reason Johnny Storm even exists is because Stan and Jack decided to revamp and re-conceptualize the character in order to make him more interesting to and in touch with modern audiences. If they need to do the same again, then I say go for it.

I see people here using the fact that nothing has changed for the character in 50 years as a reason not to change him. But to me, it seems like a really darn good reason to change him. 50 years of stagnation is enough.

Putting aside the awful image posted by someone earlier - has anyone actually thought about the potential outcry when a Black guy goes up in flames?

Aside from people obsessed about race, no one is going to be upset over a non-caucasian Human Torch.

Thanks for proving my point.

But the FF is a family. Johnny Storm, Sue Storm (Richards after the wedding), Reed Richards. Man, by altering the race of one member you have to change the whole ethos of the story for all four characters.

Okay. Make them all black then.

I have a bit of a hard time taking most of this criticism very seriously considering the Human Torch was originally an android named Jim. The only reason Johnny Storm even exists is because Stan and Jack decided to revamp and re-conceptualize the character in order to make him more interesting to and in touch with modern audiences. If they need to do the same again, then I say go for it.

I see people here using the fact that nothing has changed for the character in 50 years as a reason not to change him. But to me, it seems like a really darn good reason to change him. 50 years of stagnation is enough.

Not too insulting to all the creators who've worked on those characters over the years. Good job (thumbs u

Aside from people obsessed about race, no one is going to be upset over a non-caucasian Human Torch.

Thanks for proving my point.

Most of the movie going audience won't care because they don't have intimate knowledge of the characters. I expect that and can accept that. Much harder to do the same for alleged fans of the characters.

Alicia was played by an African-American and no one said a thing (I think). No one complained that she wasn't really blind either.

I'm still surprised that Lt. Dan had legs in real life. (He wasn't that famous prior to the Forrest Gump movie...)

If Johnny and his sister are both African-American, it shouldn't be a problem in my mind.

If they meet up with the InHumans, that'd be a multi-racial cast as well.

Serious question. Would it have been ridiculous if Tom Cruise had been cast as Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story? Of course it would, because Bruce was Chinese.

And no, it doesn't matter that one is based on fact ( Dragon was about as factual as a Saturday morning cartoon ).

Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, California and his parents were from Hong Kong, so he's Cantonese. He speaks Cantonese and not Mandarin.

Jason Scott Lee (no relation) who played him in the movie Dragon is of Chinese-Hawaiian descent which is close enough I guess. He was born in LA.

Now, David Carradine is another matter...

Dragon is one of my favorite all-time movies.

As far as a black human torch. Actually he sounds like the perfect character to change. I'm all for it as long as they can do it right for once.

Speaking of "minority" characters. There really are not that many at all.

Black Panther, Luke Cage, Cloak, the falcon are about all I can think of, and they are all black. I can't even think of any other ethnicities besides white.

If you're a comicbook fan on these boards I'm not surprised ;) If one is a fan of Bruce Lee the person, I don't see how they can like Dragon. For a person who led a VERY interesting life, H'Wood certainly took quite a few liberties in the telling of his story.

I don't know what you mean about the quip of me being a comic book fan and liking the dragon movie. I like the movie because it has a great soundtrack, solid acting, killer fight scenes, I like Jason Scott Lee and I knew the director.

Sure, they took a few liberties in making the film, all for the sake of drama, but it is based on Bruce's wife's biography on him. You show me a biography film that is 100 percent true to the facts and timeline, and I'll show you a 7-hour long lifetime special.