• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comic Book Day!

74 posts in this topic

Putting new content into the TWD FCBD issue was asking for trouble - I am glad they avoided it.

Of course, I am sure we will soon see that issue in eBay for a (relatively) exorbant price anyway.

Just MHO.

-slym

Actually I believe one of the short stories is new in the WD FCBD issue.

This is what I heard as well.

My small-corner-of-the-strip-mall LCS was veritably empty compared to the "big" stores here in town. However, they DID bring out a lot of variants and older stuff to display up high or behind the counter, and any book was 20% off, while any hardcover was 50% off. I got the hardcover X-Men Legacy trade for Divided He Stands, and then I picked these up today as well:

fcbd_wins_zps3218314d.jpg

Putting new content into the TWD FCBD issue was asking for trouble - I am glad they avoided it.

Of course, I am sure we will soon see that issue in eBay for a (relatively) exorbant price anyway.

Just MHO.

-slym

Actually I believe one of the short stories is new in the WD FCBD issue.

This is what I heard as well.

It is new from what I could tell. I've read everything else in the book but that. It was odd there wasn't a credits page. I was going to check if it was printed somewhere I'd never seen by chance.

From the FCBD site:

This special Walking Dead issue contains a new Tyrese short story, who made his television debut in The Walking Dead Season 3! It also reprints short stories featuring Michonne, The Governor and Morgan. This special issue is a must-have for Walking Dead fans--none of these stories will be reprinted in the trade paperbacks!

I didn't think it would be so crazy. I figured long lines, sure but holy moly it was crazy. I went to one place and waited in line for 30 minutes but the line moved 5 feet so I figured I would go to another place, the line was so much longer but it did move quicker. Good sales. There was also this...

943637_10201231051481072_234194349_n.jpg

Went to my local comic store today and the line was around the block!

Got the freebie issue of Infinity #1 (with Dr. Strange on the cover in one of the shards of glass in front of Thanos) BUT they didn't have the Infinity promo t-shirt.

If anyone on the boards happened to get one (or two) of those in XL, please PM me if you want to sell it!

Sad... :facepalm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-FREE-COMIC-BOOK-DAY-WALKING-DEAD-IMAGE-COMICS-/390590440191?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5af10122ff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-FCBD-Free-Comic-Book-Day-2013-Image-Kirkman-Adlard-NM-One-Shot-Z-/310656391739?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4854905a3b (sold quite a few at that price already!)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-Superman-Special-Edition-2013-FCBD-Free-Comic-Book-Day-DC-Image-/130902241523?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e7a61b0f3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WALKING-DEAD-1-FCBD-PRE-SALE-NEAR-MINTS-CGC-READY-7-19-27-IMAGE-WILL-SHIP-ON-DAY-/121103019507?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1c324d6df3

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Dead-1-FCBD-Special-CGC-It-Kirkman-Image-AMC-NM-FREE-S-H-FREE-COMIC-DAY-/171026693499?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27d1fc3d7b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WALKING-DEAD-FCBD-EDITION-RARE-MICHONNE-ORIGIN-GOVERNOR-TWD-ROBERT-KIRKMAN-/230975699777?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item35c7397b41 ("rare" - I'd laugh if it wasn't so pitiful)

*sigh*

-slym

I was actually wondering about this sort of thing. My LCS (packed) was giving 5 free per customer but didn't look like a lot of hoarding was going on. I figured I'd see some of these up on ebay soon. In a related note I was sniping some back issues today from an ASM 3 for $5 bin my LCS had and came across a copy of (last years?) Amazing Spider-Man Free Comic Book Day comic with a $3 pricetag on it. Since it was in the 3 for $5 bin it counted but something seemed wrong to me about it being sold (and asking $3 at one time). As if to highlight the question in my head "Is it right for them to be selling this?" a statement on the cover in BOLD BLACK CAPS reads: NOT FOR RESALE. (tsk)

I inquired about this up front to the clerk pointing out the obvious and simply asking if I could substitute it for one of the 5 free comics I was allowed to take. In a very assertive tone he declared (and I'm paraphrasing here) "No I will not be letting you have it for free because it WAS a FCBD issue from a prior year especially since you won't expect to find it being sold in many places." and if I wanted it I would have to buy it. :sumo: It kind of irked me but I'm not going to argue over $1.66 for a comic that should have been free. The fact of the matter is it is an object that I want and it helped to complete a 3 for $5 sale so in a free market economy I should have to pay a price for something that another has and is not giving away. I briefly thought of saying "no thanks" but that would have just been on principle and hardly taking a stand for justice on something more worthy and would have cost me more in effort and time to find it. meh In the end, my LCS clerk did apply my subscription discount and even let me take home an extra FCBD comic book, the latter which he certainly didn't have to do.

Wondering what your thoughts on this matter and on the overall resale of FCBD comics. I'd expect this from an individual collector but I thought the LCS's were bound by distributors/publishers to not resell their FCBD comics. Does anyone know if this is something an LCS should definitely not be doing or should be allowed to do with extra stock left after FCBD in order to compete fairly against the rest of the leeches on ebay? Or might that encourage the LCS's to hold back FCBD stock they anticipate being able to resell at a higher profit preventing customers from obtaining a free comic once the available stock runs out. hm

Too bad my LCS stamps all their books......such . They had boxful of WD left but nothing else lol. No one grabbed them. I ignored the freebies since I went digging for some deals but ended up leaving with two long boxes for some comics I brought this morning at an estate sale.

Great FCBD. My wife got a sketch from Chris Moreno. He asked what she wanted and she said to do whatever he wanted. He laughed and said a lot of things could happen with that

c84575581958db4b2572b749458370c8_zps1ab6fb1e.jpg

Whilce Portacio was there. We asked for a Green Arrow and he mistakenly did Hawkeye. It's so nice I don't even care

f5173da17cb8ff8465c5fc4fb34fcaba_zpsf87cfdf4.jpg

And finally a Portacio Archangel

03eb95c4c36757b4fa954a34d5791b99_zpse521ea31.jpg

nWSv3sF.jpg

In summation of loadstone's post: what are your feelings on a LCS selling FCBD issues when they are designated "not for resale?"

-slym

I know one of our LCS only gives out 1 book per person on FCBD in order to make sure everyone that comes in gets a book if they want one. Then a couple days later if anything is left over, he lets anyone take as many copies as they want just to get rid of them. If nobody wants them I believe they wind up going in the dollar boxes. My take on that is he tried to give them away and if you would rather pay a $1 next year oh well, whatever.