• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bidding on taped books?

125 posts in this topic

So upon a re-grade, what does this book get?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Ddetective%2B27%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=932964

Would hate to be the holder waiting outside the Sarasota office... :sick:

It is automatically less than 2.5 can we all agree on that?

I would guess it has to go to 1.5 right...if its graded on the assumption there is no tape and the cover is therefore detached?

Sounds right to me.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Ddetective%2B27%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=932964

I would guess it has to go to 1.5 right...if its graded on the assumption there is no tape and the cover is therefore detached?

Sounds right to me.

So painful on so many levels....

Sounds right to me.

So painful on so many levels....

Had to happen. Never should have been graded 2.5 to begin with.

Yes 1.5.. I believe before the tape was applied, it was a 1.5. Sold on Heritage years back in the $85k range.

This book features the most reprehensible use of tape that I've yet witnessed. Whoever applied the stitch-up had serious stones, and not in a good way.

Probably safe to assume that if there is a book out there that will never be sent in for regrading, this book is it. Of course, if the owner accidentally drops the slab and one of the posts breaks .... he should definitely not come around here for sympathy! :D

The book is in a coffin that will never be broken out. I think the owner will be keeping it for years to come or sell it for a loss, or to someone uneducated if cgc's new guidelines.

Yes 1.5.. I believe before the tape was applied, it was a 1.5. Sold on Heritage years back in the $85k range.

Do you have a link?

Sold for $83,650 in 2009...

137859.jpg.4d327641b7a2edadf809455dc8711867.jpg

It depends on the notes, with that much tape it isn't likely this was done recently. It looks a lot nicer the the grade so hard to say without notes or a back scan but I don't see that grade changing.

James G

I'd love to know who submitted the book.
it's not a secret...been discussed many times on this board, and happend before most started to really realize the "tape " issue

4 years ago, I saw a 1.0 action 1, get the covers taped back and it got a cgc 2.5 ...

I saw the tec in heritage, and thought, "with a little tape, this is at least a 2.5...mind you, this was back before I was thinking things through, and I have obviously changed my stance on tape in the past 4 years, but at the time, I took advantage of the loophole!

however, the piece of tape is so thin (dont think "butchered", think surgeon precision), it could easily be removed and not damage or affect the book at all...it would drop back down to the 1.5 it previously was, and the value from what I sold it for 4 years ago, would still be much higher than today!

so, not really a loss for anyone at this point

would I do it again today, absolutely not (as evidenced by my submitting multiple books with detached and split covers over the past few years)... but 4 years ago, it didn't seem like such a "big deal" as it is today..

Do you have a link?

Sold for $83,650 in 2009...

it had better eye appeal than a 1.5 for sure before "surgery"

Can anyone tell me is there any safe way to remove a price tag on a bronze book cover?

hot air hair blow dryer might work

typical you will have glue residue left behind.

yep but should lift sticker off