• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bidding on taped books?

125 posts in this topic

In my mind, the label grade on any pre-announcement slabbed book with tape is now invalidated. It would be silly not to bid with that in mind.

Absolutely. If you get a cracked slab when it ships, it will come back two grades lower from CGC on a reholder.

I never considered that. This announcement precludes you from sending the book back to CGC for any reason. Ouch.

unless it is postmarked by today.

In my mind, the label grade on any pre-announcement slabbed book with tape is now invalidated. It would be silly not to bid with that in mind.

I don't think that's quite right....it depends on what the tape is doing. If it's clear that the book has been applied to the cover to keep it from getting a detached grade, then yes, I agree. But if it was applied 30 years by a kid for preventative reasons (and also not on the cover), that's a different story.

I'm talking about tape that in CGC's mind "improved" the grade, regardless of whether it was applied by a dealer last month or a kid in 1942.

Granted...but I think in most cases, those "improvements" were done by dealers, not kids.

I don't know that it's all that relevant who did it. CGC isn't trying to gauge intent.

tape applied in 1940s is much more appealing than 2013 tape lol. Although, I prefer neither.
i would think just the opposite. Tape applied in 1940 has already done 70 years of additional damage when compared to tape recently applied. From an intent standpoint I get what you are saying but from a comics' perspective that doesn't jive
perhaps the intent and love of the book is more important to me, although I can appreciate the financial gain. Regardless, the tape is bad for the paper long term. But short term profit > love of the book for some :/

Hopefully this will put an end to needlessly taping books to bump the grade. Although I am sure dealers of ungraded books will not care what CGC says or does, and still price a book with a taped spine as a 3.0 rather than a 1.0.

Tape applied in 1940 has already done 70 years of additional damage when compared to tape recently applied. From an intent standpoint I get what you are saying but from a comics' perspective that doesn't jive

Is this really true, however? I don't know, so am just asking. I see this posted a lot, but I would assume tape-glue, like any other chemical, has a certain effective shelf-life, then at some point becomes essentially inert. If I had to guess (without looking it up, assuming there is even a study for such a thing) I would bet that most tape damage (old tape) is done in the first 10 years, much like most paper aging occurs in that time period.

I would think that after 30 or 50 or 70 years, it would no longer be possible for the tape to cause any further damage beyond what has already happened.

Also... I assume modern Scotch tape is radically different from 1940s Scotch tape. I remember taping things as a kid (60s) and within a couple of years you could see significant aging. But in modern times, I've had papers or reference books I taped 10 years ago still show no significant deterioration. (shrug)

Absolutely. If you get a cracked slab when it ships, it will come back two grades lower from CGC on a reholder.

only if cracked to the point of needing to be regraded (ie visible damage to comic). If it just a reholdering, then current grade is used like it is now

Let's see a show of hands! (Raises own hand)

How many of you have bought comics that were taped back when, and what you have left is a strip of totally unsticky cellophane and some browned up paper?

I've had a fair number of 40's and 50's books that end up that way. Sadly, the browned paper appears to me to be much more brittle than the surrounding areas.

So a question. What happens to books in 3.0 holders that have the notation: tape on entire spine?

Will these books be traded at 3.0 levels or 1.0 levels?

I'd like CGC to put books with true non-harmful archival tape in blue holders. Sure, downgrade it for the tape (i.e. grade it as if the tape weren't there) but it's really not restored with archival, removable tape is it? (shrug)

I'd like CGC to put books with true non-harmful archival tape in blue holders. Sure, downgrade it for the tape (i.e. grade it as if the tape weren't there) but it's really not restored with archival, removable tape is it? (shrug)

I agree.

I agree.

perhaps that will be their next adjustment.

I agree.

perhaps that will be their next adjustment.

I suggested that to Paul...he seemed receptive, but who knows what the final say-so will be.

So a question. What happens to books in 3.0 holders that have the notation: tape on entire spine?

Maybe we can get a volunteer and see what the new grade is now.. Anyone? :devil:

I agree.

I agree as well.. The type of tape that was used should be notated on the label and downgraded accordingly whether scotch tape or archival tape as a blue label.

Maybe we can get a volunteer and see what the new grade is now.. Anyone? :devil:

Bueller?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Hopefully this will put an end to needlessly taping books to bump the grade. Although I am sure dealers of ungraded books will not care what CGC says or does, and still price a book with a taped spine as a 3.0 rather than a 1.0.

My guess is that you would still be able to get close to a 3.0 price because there will be many people who are unaware of the change in CGC's policy. The more important the book, of course, the more likely it is that most bidders would be aware of the change and lower their bids accordingly.

I avoid tape like the plague with one exception. I bought a Batman 1 with tape down the entire spine but I planned on having it removed before I bought it (which I did).
here's one less bidder :)

How did the bat 1 turn out? :)

unless there is across the board resistance folks own the books at whatever they paid per change and my guess is they won't lower price to post change

My guess is that you would still be able to get close to a 3.0 price because there will be many people who are unaware of the change in CGC's policy.

Very interesting point I think that the changes in prices could be more gradual and less noticeable as the policy announcements take time to spread throughout the comic community, which is good for the stability of the hobby :)

Tom