• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bidding on taped books?

125 posts in this topic

I get that they are reassessing books that are resubmits, but what about a straight reholder request?
get reholdered same grade and serial #

So than, how do you'all experts, now, look/grade and evaulate price, and such,with the Sup 1, in the Clink auction,

Graded 1.8 blue, with note of "Moderate amount of tape on interior"

Curious BB

I'd certainly buy the grader's notes to see if they're more specific about the location of the tape. Hard to tell from the scan, but it looks like the cover is still attached at the top staple, so the tape may not be present to reattach the cover. It may be there to seal that 3-4 inch tear in the middle left of the cover, and/or it may be reattaching that large piece at the top of the cover. The change in policy might not affect this book at all.

Hey guys,

Are collectors going to factor in the changes that CGC made with regards to non functional tape in the amount they are willing to bid on comics with tape?

I know most buyers factor defects such as this already in the amount they are willing to bid but will it be even more so since the new rule introduction coming?

Tom

To me, it all depends on the book. Specifically, the dollar amount, the scarcity of the book, and the amount of tape used, and whether or not the tape significantly improved the grade. I just picked up a Tec 37 with tape on it and paid fairly aggressively, because it wasn't a lot of money and I didn't know how long it would take me to find another copy in a similar grade range.

I was planning on bidding fairly aggressively on the Superman 1 in the Clink auction. Now with this new policy, and knowing what that book looked like before, I don't plan on bidding at all. As a collector I still want the book. As an investor, in light of the new policy, I can't imagine spending five figures on any book where tape helped raised the grade.

In many cases I'll still buy a book if it has a piece of tape on the centerfold or some old tape that has already been factored into the grade etc. And I'll still buy taped books graded after 5/3/2013. But to answer someone else's question in the thread I can't justify paying 3.0 money for a book that if re-graded today would be a 1.0. Those are books I will probably avoid buying in the future unless they are priced accordingly.

Now what if CGC had a policy where they will regrade the book for free, AND pay you the difference of the drop in grade?

Just because Comiclink gives away tons of money when they screw something up, don't think that too many others will.

In coin grading, the major player is PCGS. They have a warranty that if a coin DOWNGRADES on resubmission, they PAY the value difference. This is a real world company I am comparing CGC to. Sure even PCGS's standards change, but they stand behind that warranty.

http://www.pcgs.com/guarantee.html

Now what if CGC had a policy where they will regrade the book for free, AND pay you the difference of the drop in grade?

Just because Comiclink gives away tons of money when they screw something up, don't think that too many others will.

In coin grading, the major player is PCGS. They have a warranty that if a coin DOWNGRADES on resubmission, they PAY the value difference. This is a real world company I am comparing CGC to. Sure even PCGS's standards change, but they stand behind that warranty.

http://www.pcgs.com/guarantee.html

really not fair to compare coins to comics. The fragile nature of comics vs coins would, to me, preclude any such guarantee that a comic grading company could make.

I think books with tape will be looked at case by case. There are some that were recently taped just to bump the grade and I think these books will take a hit. But this will not impact all books with tape. my tec 28 has a 3 inch piece of tape at the bottom of the spine. I don't like it but it seals a split and has been there for ever. If I upgrade great but I certainly am not going to dump it just because of this change.

James G

I'd rather have the tape and have it professionally removed. However if it was an easy to find book, I would exhaust all searches before buying one with tape. Also if the tape has broken down the paper to a point where it's see through, I would pass altogether.

I'd take tape over brittleness.

Wait a while and you'll have both.

under proper storage conditions no book will brittle in our lifetime

hm

If answer A) is tape, and answer B) is Slightly Brittle PQ, on would only deduce on a standardized test question that answer C) would be Both A&B and answer D) would be NONE of the above!!!

I pick D...first and last answer!!!!

JK my man...that is actually a good question (thumbs u My personal answer would be the slightly brittle pages even before the tape thing came out because i think slightly means it does not affect the whole book...once again I am no pro by a LOOOOONG shot, but this was my understanding...

Another point is I think a lot of collectors and dealers alike always shy'd away from that particular PQ designation, but then again some people probably did the same for the eye soar that is book length tape jobs!!

I think you are going to get people answering on both sides of the fence here but that is just IMHO!! Good question!!!

here is a great example of one smalltime collector who didnt mind either because he really loved the book and got it for the right price!!!! Sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad in order to afford your favorite funnies!!!!

8619951633_8de031d6bf_b.jpg

IMG_3635 by gino2paulus2, on Flickr

I'd take tape over brittleness.

Wait a while and you'll have both.

under proper storage conditions no book will brittle in our lifetime

Agreed - I meant the paper under the tape, which in my experience ends up stiff and yellow on old books.