• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another example of how ridiculous this CVA ia

20 posts in this topic

There is a Captain America 15 up for auction on CLINK. Now this is a nice book, but the printing registration is off. I know CGC considers this a printing defect and doesn't downgrade, but for eye appeal????

Here is the copy with the CVA label. Again, a nice book which any Cap/Timely collector should be proud to own, but exceptional eye appeal ????

cap_15_bad.jpg

Another copy from Heritage archive to show what the registration should look like.

cap_15_good.jpg

Disclaimer, none of the comics shown are owned by the poster and the poster will not be bidding on the book in the CLINK auction

It seems like CVA only puts stickers on clink books. Does this organization really have any clout in the hobby? Do these people actually earn a living? I'm skeptical. I haven't heard of a single independent collector who uses this service.

It's a joke, it's been a joke since they introduced it, and it will forever be a joke.

As if slabbing didn't accelerate price appreciation enough, the crack, press, and resub crowd came along. Now they want to try and milk the collector further by attempting to validate this obvious money grab. Shame on CLink for giving this sham credibility.

It's a joke, it's been a joke since they introduced it, and it will forever be a joke.

As if slabbing didn't accelerate price appreciation enough, the crack, press, and resub crowd came along. Now they want to try and milk the collector further by attempting to validate this obvious money grab. Shame on CLink for giving this sham credibility.

Tellin' it like it is .... BAM! :sumo:

I gotta say the CVA thing has definitely limited my Clink bidding since it started. I'm usually looking for Pedigrees and would always just hit the Pedigree/special collection link to see what they had. Now when you do that, it gives you page after page after page after page of these ridiculous CVA exceptional books. I gotta wade thru 10 pages of those to find 1 or 2 Pedigree books. I dont even bother anymore really and just look for Pedigrees elsewhere.

Does anyone know if they are 100% exclusive with Clink? I dont think i've seen them anywhere else.

So, if I send a book to CVA to be "certified", do I get my money back if the book does not have "exceptional eye appeal" and, therefore, does not qualify for a fancy CVA sticker? I doubt it, which is another why CVA is a joke.

It seems like CVA only puts stickers on clink books.

CVA is run by a previous employee of CLink.

You do the math.

lol never knew that Nick, that just says it all.

It seems like CVA only puts stickers on clink books.

CVA is run by a previous employee of CLink.

You do the math.

I got 11...

How did you come up with 11 ? I got 32.

My 11 got stickered, so it looks good enough to be a 32.

I gotta say the CVA thing has definitely limited my Clink bidding since it started. I'm usually looking for Pedigrees and would always just hit the Pedigree/special collection link to see what they had. Now when you do that, it gives you page after page after page after page of these ridiculous CVA exceptional books. I gotta wade thru 10 pages of those to find 1 or 2 Pedigree books. I dont even bother anymore really and just look for Pedigrees elsewhere.

Does anyone know if they are 100% exclusive with Clink? I dont think i've seen them anywhere else.

It's not exclusive to CLink.

However, one of the founders, Tomis Erb, used to work for CLink. At present, CLink is offering the service free to consignors.

It seems like CVA only puts stickers on clink books. Does this organization really have any clout in the hobby? Do these people actually earn a living? I'm skeptical. I haven't heard of a single independent collector who uses this service.

In my opinion CVA is much like what CAC is for coins. Unfortunately, whereas CAC is widely accepted, CVA needs more work in convincing the comic collecting hobby of its benefits; based on what I have been reading on these forums. I am sure my fellow coin collectors will agree that there are a lot of over graded coins on the market. That being said, how does one verify expectionalism on a three dimensional object encased in plastic? With a coin it is easy, but with a comic book (as the original examples in this thread prove); it is much more difficult.

In conclusion, I do think a service like this could work in the comic collecting hobby. The question (again in my opinion) is will comic collectors eventually accept it and how should it be marketed?

A good start would be not putting stickers on miswrapped books or books that CLEARLY don't have exceptional eye appeal. Putting stickers on books most collectors find an eyesore makes it look like a money grab and not a legitimate service.