• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Holy Grail is up!!! Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 oww

376 posts in this topic

That is an interesting response......

I would think that high res scans would be requested like mad on a 15-20k book.

The images that ideal hosts are not quite big enough for me when it comes to 5 figure bidding.

Although I must say they are tremendous sellers, with fast shipping and friendly service. One of the only dealers I have sent books to on approval.

Keep us posted Bruce and thanks for the effort, I am very curious to see if my suspicions are correct. I genuinely hope they are not, for everybody's sake.

But maybe a few super high dollar books getting damaged BECAUSE of the cgc well design will get some changes done.

Wedges ....we need wedges!!

There's that negativity coming thru again, Mouse. Just finishing with Mcgowan60 and now you want to go after Comicinvester? Oh yeah, and did you run across my earlier question? After being so hard on Mcgowan's 1 out of 90 negatives, I asked how many you had. Still waiting for an answer, "oh perfect one."

uh ohh... I get the feeling this thread is about to take a detour. I sense a mouse vs. ninanina battle. Hope it's a short one or they take it elsewhere...

We'll see if the seller will oblige or not. Tony agreed to pass on the request... that's all he can do. I still can't see it clearly. It looks like the top edge may be obscuring our view of what's really there. It's worth asking though.

Since you've undoubtedly expressed your concerns to CGC by now on this matter directly... what response have you received from them? Have you sent them the scans of books you claim were damaged? I'm curious as to what CGC has to say???

ninanina........who is comicinvestor and where and how is he involved in this conversation. I don't know who that is or even where I mentioned him.

Bruce had said that "the owner of the book is a regular vistor to these boards". I just thought it was unusual that after a thread was started wondering how high this book could go......then all of a sudden......an anonymous seller who reads these boards puts the book up with a reserve far greater than most of the individuals on these boards thought it should or would be. I happen to think that the combined minds on this board would have a pretty fair idea of what this book might be worth. And it seems that the book is allready beyond that point.

That makes me think the book has a stupid reserve on it and is just being tested to see what the market is like for it with no real intention of selling......unless it's for a stupid high amount.

And I don't have a single negative on my eBay record......how about you? But you certainly don't have to believe me because I'm not going to reveal my eBay identity in here. Not after I've seen how some of you behave with that kind of information. If you trust everyone in here, why don't you post your real name....full address..... and phone number?........but don't expect me to do the same. tongue.gif

Sorry ninanina.......I'm certainly not wanting to take this thread down the wrong path either........so allow me to apologize to you.

I was just making an observation based on how high this book is going without the reserve being met.........no accusing anyone of any wrongdoing........but I hate to see a book being waved in front of collectors faces if it's not truly for sale.

If that's not the case for this book.......then that's great and I hope a true collector gets it (wish it could be you Bruce......I know you want it.) wink.gif

LMAO.......it does look like Majorkhaos placed a bid on the book though.

Dude, like I would misspell my own screen name??!?!?

flamingassmonky(38) - Jan-27-03 18:05:21 PST

"monky" indeed! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now to wait for the tools to correct me about my OWN name...

Thanks guys... I appreciate you're agreeing to handle your disagreement with one another in a more respectful manner.

Generally speaking... I get the feeling if some board members were not so intent on "winning arguments" they would find more common ground and would be much more civil. It seems that the lack of common courtesy, misunderstandings, comments taken out of context, the desire not to be embarrassed and lose an exchange... really detours many worthwhile discussions. I know its human nature to want to hold your own, but downplaying some borderline comments that may not be an attack or outright "dis" once in awhile... would probably diffuse much of the bickering that goes on here. That's my only gripe with the boards. We really should be speaking to one another the way we would if we were at the same table eating wings and having a beer.

I know many like the entertaining nature of some of the arguments, myself included to a point, but too much personal "in-fighting" gets old.

It's OK to be wrong or have someone make a better point... happens to me quite a bit, but I'm happy to learn the right answer or hear a pov I had not considered.

Giving people credit for a good thought/points should supersede the need to argue a point further when all you are doing is trying to "win" and your position has proven to be weak.

I'm fortunate enough (so far) not to have been attacked on these boards in a personal way and I think it has something to do with the fact that I try to consider what the person may have been trying to say even if it came across harshly, cutting a little initial slack in that regard, and not retaliating prematurely. If you treat most with respect you'll receive it. smirk.gif

Sorry for the "Soap Box" message.crazy.gif

Thanks again...

You're appear to be quite knowledgeable on these bronze books Bruce. What are your initial impression on it considering how high it's gone without the reserve being met?

Do you think it's for sale for an attainable price.......or do you think the price might be in the stratosphere to see how high the bidding might go........and if it does sell......then the price is so high that the owner won't mind parting with one of his babies?

Bruce, if you are feeling left out regarding not being attacked personally, it could be arranged! wink.gif

Now that the book is out of your range, aren't you happy that you didn't do some stupid in haste and sold your Hulk beauties? Including the Hulk 141! mad.gif

Dude, like I would misspell my own screen name??!?!?

flamingassmonky(38) - Jan-27-03 18:05:21 PST

"monky" indeed! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Have you ever tried to spell correctly with your butt on fire?........I'm sure it's not an easy task......even for you. smile.gif

But I am a little curious who that eBayer is to be bidding on a book of this caliber with a screen name like that. crazy.gif

And I would have to agree with others opinions in here as well Bruce. I personally would rather have a well centered "white" paged cgc 9.6 copy than that one. Eye appeal is pretty important to me on this book since I like the cover so much. smile.gif

Especially given the insane price this one is allready at without hitting the reserve.........$16,950. shocked.gif

I would've passed long before it hit 10k. I just don't think paying for .2 of a difference is worth an additional 10-15k. I'll say it again, I really think some people are just paying for the label at this stage.

Brian

It's higher than I ever thought it would go... I have my doubts, as others have pointed out in this thread, that the book is really available... unless a stupid number is bid. I also have to wonder if the reserve is known by some (unintentionally). I don't think IC is up to anything, but who knows what the seller's motives are. I don't think testing the market is wrong...but to people that are genuinely interested in acquiring the book its hard to be happy about being teased...if that's what's up.

They had it on their website for a bit and then took it down. I'd assume it's not for sale also..I think they're enjoying the "limelight" of having the book. I could've sworn they wanted 20k for this at one point...

Brian

Ahhhhh Greg. I was waiting for you to bring up the 141... but I know you're only bustin' stones... I saw you mention in an anti-Gman thread that you felt comfortable and/or happy selling me that book without trying to gouge me because you knew I valued it tremendously (which I do) and would only give it up if an upgrade was available or if it was to attain one of my "Holy Grails" (not verbatim, but close).

I know you would not begrudge me selling that book if I needed it to finance a Hulk 181 9.8. Aside from that or a 180 9.8...it would take a 9.8 141 or several large angry super-villains to rip that gem from my grasp... and you know it grin.gif

Plus.. in the spirit of fairness... have no doubt that I would offer it back to you at cost before exploring a better deal smirk.gif