• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Holy Grail is up!!! Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 oww

376 posts in this topic

The potential buyer has to also consider "what may happen later if he doesn't get them all when he had the chance... the could go up in price too". There's a sense of urgency added to the mix. ... and "no" I think listing them all at the same time, or virtually the same time, could create extra stress for the potential buyer as trying to stay on top of 3 books ending roughly the same time could be problematic.

I would buy this argument IF the books were listed by different sellers (thus adding numerous costs and various risks such as fraud, multiple packages sent in the mail, etc. to the equation), but a single seller listing all 3 books near-simultaneously would allow any "gotta have it now" buyers to replicate the set with virtually the same amount of ease AS WELL AS attracting buyers who may not have been interested in all the components of the set.

I find it hard to believe that, if the books had been listed separately, it would just have been "drpainfree" and "foxycra" setting the final prices. I'm sure there would've been much more interest in EVERY book, especially the #181. Plenty of people want that Hulk 181 but could care less about the 180 or 182 (not everyone is a Hulk/Wolverine trilogy completist!) And people who already have the 181 could have just said "WTF" and bid huge amounts for the 180 and/or the 182 individually, without having to fork over the huge $$$ for the 181.

If each of the books in 9.6 sells at lower prices separately in the coming weeks, it will prove nothing - VB had the perfect set-up this week and this week only. There was a single, reputable seller with ALL the books available for sale simultaneously, a market whipped into a frenzy by the 9.8 #181, and most importantly, two bidders willing to shatter all existing price records. The removal of the last factor alone (with "foxycra" now presumably satiated) will render any future price comparisons utterly meaningless. I expect the price on all three books to fall from the implied levels the set sold at this week as a result of this, at least in the short-term.

So, while VB did realize a fat/phat price for his books, I still believe that he did so *in spite of* the way the books were listed, not *because of*. I still believe that is the lesson to be taken away from this auction.

OK, Bru...I've said my peace! You can have the last word if you want it! grin.gif

Gene

Maybe, maybe not... this exchange is getting tiresome and is moot.... especially since you informed me of the theory long ago... prior to my 9.4 trilogy listing which ended very favorably. I'm not sure why you wanted to bring it up to me again knowing that I disagreed with it... at least concerning the "trilogy". I'm sure there are few exceptions that disprove the theory or enjoy success, but it can/has happened.

Anyway, 3 successes in a row are in the books... your speculation, valid as it may sound, and may have been, is unfulfilled and unproveable unless another 9.6 shows up soon and sells much higher...

so... "word" grin.gif

Really no white pages and miswraped just a couple of strict graders that were calling it a 9.8. Id settle for the 9.6 white page centered one any day.Seeing is beleiving and my eyes dont lie.

DAVIDKING623

at $19K Hell no!!.. but at $4k, 2 years ago.. YES!! that's what has me depressed.

I do have a near-perfectly centered 9.6 White safely stored off-premisis now. The color is good, but not as deep as others I've seen... so I am still keeping my eyes open for another to compare it against since I'll never have a 9.8 now. I was going to buy VB's but that one is not really comparable to mine after looking at the hi res scans... Oh well... I'll be thrilled if I can just find the 180 9.8 (if it's worthy). I think the guy that said he has it is full of it as Darth suggested. He also said he had a 182 9.8, but the census still says (1) and I have it.

My search continues... Anyone have a tip? I'll pay up for that puppy.

I also want an AA11 9.6, MTU 1 9.6, M 2 in 1 9.6... finder's fees paid if an acquisition is made from a lead.

I don't know, the census isn't always accurate. He probably doesn't have the book but you really can't completely base that decision on the census. I still have the only 9.8 of ASM 126 and it still hasn't shown up.

Brian

I know.. and its just my gut... I never exposed him and directly said as much because I just can't rely 100% on a system that I can't validate it's accuracy. He claimed to have it over 8 months ago though and the copy I have did not come from him.

I know there may be some problems with the census. I recall there were (6) DD 158's in 9.8 a while back and then it dropped to (5) some months ago... it recently went back up to (6).. an new one I assume. For the drop to occur though it would have to mean someone cracked out a 9.8 hoping for a 9.9 and got a 9.6 or lower... or there was an error.

I also know a very reputable dealer who claims to own a DD 168 in 9.8 for over a year now... yet there are none in the census? I'm awaiting a scan.

How long have you had your 126 and through how many updates has it went unposted?

I tried to find a scan of the 9.9 but I cant seem to get one. Im leaving it up to the Bronze One (you) to find a scan. Who knows who the Anon insufficiently_thoughtful_person was but he thinks Ideal Collectables still has it. Bruce, Bruce youre our man, if you cant get us the scan then NOone can! grin.gif

I emailed Tony, they no longer have a scan. He relayed the request to the owner (apparently not IC?)...

Aloha Bruce!

I asked the owner and he said he's just too busy to get the book because it's locked up. He's a very busy and private person and he'll be flying out this weekend and doesn't have the time. I've handled the book in the past and just for your info it's perfectly centered and the cover has a beautiful red, not too light and not too dark.

Best Regards,

Anthony T. Yamada, President

Ideal Collectables