• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Holy Grail is up!!! Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 oww

376 posts in this topic

I'm oblivious to the pricing, but I would pay market (whatever that may be for some pages). I might have to settle for some less exciting ones if they are more expensive than I think... I know the "last page" of 180 is out of the question if the owner would even sell it... but there has to be a Hulk/Wendigo page from 180 that is attainable... can you help? smile.gif

One dealer under the eBay orig. comic art category was selling about 10 different Trimpe Hulk pgs over the last month. Think there was 1 with Wendigo in it from that time period. U may have just missed out. Sorry, no Trimpe Wolverine/Hulk art last week. frown.gif

Saw that actually... I planned on bidding on the 162 page with the small Wendigo on a cliff and the one with Hulk ripping up the tree. I was overspent at that moment and had to let it pass... they went in the $200's

Keep me in mind for any 180-181-182 pages shocked.gif

Personally, I agree with the people saying it is better to split the books into three seperate sales, but I have run into a situation myself that shows the other side. I have a Wolverine (mini series) #1 in 9.8. I have had a few people show interest but only one guy willing to put up the money for it. He is holding off, however, because he wants a set of 1-4 in the same grade. If I had 2-4 in 9.8, I might have been able to make a big package deal, but I just have the #1. That is becoming more of an issue with collectors now...making runs in the same grade. And alot of them are way too lazy to go looking for the pieces individually. I could always buy 2-4 in 9.8 shape, but I refuse to pay the money on modern stuff knowing that 5 years from now there are likely to be thousands of 9.8 copies of those issues (I didn't buy my 9.8, I sent in a copy I bought for 5 bucks about 10 years ago.. I thought it was a 9.6 because of page color/quality, but I ain't arguing!)

I realize the logic of breaking them up is sound in most cases, but as I mentioned, sometimes a "Concept Auction" or "Related Run" auction creates extra appeal and brings a premium above the individual values. The collectors that always intended to have all the items in the lot are excited to see the books all grouped and a chance to get them all at once, especially if they are not overly common. I believe they can be consumed more with "winning the auction and obtaining all the books" than in "getting a deal". As a result, a premium has a damn good shot.

As you brought up... laziness can be a factor as getting them all with a minimal investment of time outweighs the premium paid. Time's more valuable to some.

As far as the Wolverine Limited Series... a great example. Until recently (last year or so) it was much more difficult to find issue #4... so completing 9.8 and even 9.6 sets were much more difficult. One seller in particular was the main factor as he (microcapper ) pumped in close to a case of each issue of 1-3 in 9.4 to 9.8 grades. He forgot to buy #4 he says. Anyway, eventually numbers/supply caught up a bit and it's easier to find ALL the issues (including #4) individually now, but still no cake walk, especially if you are a page quality freak. White pagers seemed to be in lower supply for quite a while... better percentages now though. I only recently found #2 & #4 in 9.8 White to complete my 9.8W set. When I did so, I sold my 9.6 White set for over the individual values they had been selling for. A premium again if you find the right person.

I can still see same grade/same pq sets selling for more than individual avg values. The risk/time involved of searching for them individually, finding the right PQ, extra shipping, likelihood 1 o r 2 will go higher than you want to pay if you want to complete the set, etc.

There may not be a ton of examples of this working, but those are a couple that have.

I think a ASM 129, 134, 135 & GS SM 4 could do well together too at the right time. JMHO

off topic is OK... I like it when conversations drift into other areas naturally. Who cares as long as the convo is interesting.

The answer is "no". I really wanted it for a week or two but realized that I was in part consumed with upgrading and had not really considered the book and price enough compared to my sweet very nicely centered/wraped 9.4. After hearing your evaluation, I re-looked at the scans and decided it was not worth it as the VB 9.6 had a miswrap. Even though it's straight, which I can tolerate more than angled miswraps, knowing as we do how often this book is not centered well, I decided to stick with my 9.4 W for now.

I believe one of G-man's friends bought it.

Wow.. not that my life is dependent on my stars... but after having (3) almost the entire time on the forum... I was just knocked down to 2. I don't understand the "stealth hate" thing? I'm not aware of anyone that's annoyed enough with me, or that I've had unkind words with to want to knock me... very odd... I'd prefer that someone PM me if they have a problem important and compelling enough to secretly rate me a "1"... whatever.

Don't feel bad, it happened to me too. My stars were at 3 and very early on someone knocked it down to 2. It's been there ever since. Oh well.....

i think some hater rated everybody one star today, i too fell down to 2 stars. i did see the CGC 9.8 with hitman using the BIN. im holding off on all books after 1975. there must be thousands of NM books after that year. i mean, remember wolverine LS? CGC NM/MINT 9.8 prices were in the $300's when CGC first came into play, now your lucky to get $150. im going to buy all my want list books after 1975, in 3 years when there will be thousands of NM copies in the census. blush.gifshocked.gif

I hear you...but 9.8's still can't be overly common on every book. .. PLUS I just want it.

Considering just how many Wolverine Limited's that have been graded current pricing does not suck. EVERYTHING was higher in the beginning, as are almost all "first time" high graders...then they level out as we find out how deep demand and how plentifuly supply is.

btw... I'm givenya' 5 as a buffer for the next "hater"