• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Holy Grail is up!!! Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 oww

376 posts in this topic

Hi David,

If I was extreeeeeeeemely wealthy... I would not be stopped to acquire it, assuming I liked it. I have to figure its awesome.

I don't know the PQ of the 9.9... I could not obtain the scan from the owner... close to the vest I guess.

Are you guys out of your minds?

Too many other potential 9.8, 9.9 or even 10.0 copies of this very plentiful book to be even thinking in the $50K range. Posters were saying a few months ago that there would not be anymore high-grade copies coming out when the FIRST 9.8 appeared in the marketplace. Well, guess what!!! makepoint.gif

If you are planning to spend $50K, a much better buy would be a low grade copy of a really key book such as Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27.

Hey Lou,

Things don't always make sense, neither do the actions of wealthy/obsessed collectors.

I have to believe someone would pay $40-$50K for the 9.9. I'll agree and say IF another 9.9 surfaced that would diminsh the "best copy" appeal it currently has... but until that day, if it ever comes... I bet I'm not too far off. Not everyone collects with a logic/investment POV either. I personally would rather have the 9.9 181 than the equivalent valued/graded Action #1... that book does not mean as much to me personally... I have a connection with the books from the era I grew up reading. Might sound insane, but having an Action #1 would not do it for me. If I had enough money to buy both and the Action seemed to have a healthy upside for what I paid...OK, for investment.... but I don't live in that world frown.gif unless I hit the lottery 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

a 10.0?... doubt we'll ever see it.

Hi David,

If I was extreeeeeeeemely wealthy... I would not be stopped to acquire it, assuming I liked it. I have to figure its awesome.

I don't know the PQ of the 9.9... I could not obtain the scan from the owner... close to the vest I guess.

Page quality is white. Saw it at the Ideal Collectibles table in San Diego in 2001! Centering was nice but can't recall if it was perfect.

I was busy wondering how one of the two 9.9 Iron Man 1s that they had for sale had a crooked miswrap while the other was perfectly centered. Both had white pages so it makes you wanna 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you guys out of your minds?

Too many other potential 9.8, 9.9 or even 10.0 copies of this very plentiful book to be even thinking in the $50K range. Posters were saying a few months ago that there would not be anymore high-grade copies coming out when the FIRST 9.8 appeared in the marketplace. Well, guess what!!! makepoint.gif

If you are planning to spend $50K, a much better buy would be a low grade copy of a really key book such as Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27.

Hey Lou,

Things don't always make sense, neither do the actions of wealthy/obsessed collectors.

I have to believe someone would pay $40-$50K for the 9.9. I'll agree and say IF another 9.9 surfaced that would diminsh the "best copy" appeal it currently has... but until that day, if it ever comes... I bet I'm not too far off. Not everyone collects with a logic/investment POV either. I personally would rather have the 9.9 181 than the equivalent valued/graded Action #1... that book does not mean as much to me personally... I have a connection with the books from the era I grew up reading. Might sound insane, but having an Action #1 would not do it for me. If I had enough money to buy both and the Action seemed to have a healthy upside for what I paid...OK, for investment.... but I don't live in that world frown.gif unless I hit the lottery 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

a 10.0?... doubt we'll ever see it.

Hi Lou I am with Bronzebruce in this. My best freind bought this off the rack and I read it second after him that day and loved it! If I really had money to throw acquiring that 9.9 hulk 181 there would be no investment factor used in my pursuit to own it.Action 1 is a really neat book but to be given a choice of the 2 Hulk 181 CGC 9.9 white pages,rocks my world.

Davidking623

.... but to be given a choice of the 2 Hulk 181 CGC 9.9 white pages,rocks my world.

Davidking623

thats great...but the catch is "2 copies"

Are you willing to gamble that thats all there will ever be???

Do you feel lucky?

do ya?

That's really not what they're trying to say I believe.. I believe they're saying that given the choice between the 2, they'd pick Hulk 181 9.9.. regardless if more copies show up just b/c they like the book more and it has more pertinance to their collecting. Rarity is only one factor in deciding to purchase a book.

Brian

No question here's a small list of books I'd rather take than the Hulk 181 in 9.9:

Action 1

Action 2

Action 7

Detective 1

Detective 27

Detective 29

Batman 1

Superman 1

Marvel Comics 1

Marvel Mystery 7

Suspense 3 (Yes EVEN this one)

X-men 1

Amazing Fantasy 15

Hulk 1

FF 1

FF 5 and change

Spider-man 1

All Story 1912 (1st Tarzan) and change

to each his own gentlemen... no one's choice is right... its just what floats your boat.

I'd rather have coffee ice cream over vanilla, you might not

I'd rather date Liz Hurley over Pam Anderson, you might not

I'd rather eat Lobster over King Crab... 893blahblah.gif

to each his own gentlemen... no one's choice is right... its just what floats your boat.

I'd rather eat Liz Hurley over Pam Anderson, you might not... 893blahblah.gif

Man... you never know what's gonna pop up on the boards!!! 893whatthe.gif

Bruce, you kill me!

Man... you never know what's gonna pop up on the boards!!! 893whatthe.gif

Bruce, you kill me!

DOOOOOOOHHH!!

Damn... I transposed those last two 893whatthe.gifshocked.gif893whatthe.gifshocked.gif... I think I have SDS "sporadic dyslexia syndrome"... how embarrasing!

I'm editing 893censored-thumb.gif the prevoius post now boo.gif

I guess it may have been a "Freudian Slip"... I'll admit, I always wanted to date a lobster.

sorry.gif

I agree with the coffee ice cream. HagenDas is the best(sp??).

I'd also rather eeaa...uh...., date Liz Hurley also.

I guess Hulk 181 just doesn't mean as much cause I've seen/had so many.

However I'm sure I've had none above 9.6

Bruce......that is.....without a doubt.......the funniest damn typo I've read on these boards yet. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Funny, and true! I'd also much rather eat Liz Hurley than Pamela Anderson ANY day. grin.gif Hate those huge, unnaturally round silicon breasteses!