• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Holy Grail is up!!! Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 oww

376 posts in this topic

I just don't see how.. I won't pay that much... even if I had the loot... unless I had a TON of loot... my exotic male dancing career has not earned me enough... I do a comic relief act before the studs come out... you know... pee wee Herman dance with a bag on my head...quite a site...but it won't get me a Hulk 181 9.8 anytime soon frown.gif

I just don't see how.. I won't pay that much... even if I had the loot... unless I had a TON of loot...but it won't get me a Hulk 181 9.8 anytime so

I think the Buddhists have it right...desire (and ignorance, though that does not apply here) IS the cause of all suffering!!! Though all of us hard-core collectors suffer from varying obsessions and pathologies, it's important to keep in perspective that life is for LIVING and not just the relentless pursuit of buying, holding and selling plastic-covered funny books!!

Now, don't you feel better already? grin.gif

Just waxing philosophical,

Gene

For anyone that's interested... here's my current Hulk 181 CGC 9.6 White which I brought back home briefly to scan before returning it to its safe haven.

The slab has many surface scratches which makes the spine look like there's light stresses... but there's not. There's only one non-color breaking, micro-crack on the edge not visible from the front. A solid 9.6 with only VERY minor/microscopic upper left & right corner wear keeping it from the elusive 9.8. The color of the scan is a bit deeper than the original (on my monitor). I used auto scanning software and used a (+10) contrast to lighten it up... and a slight "sharpen" in photoshop to best capture the "real look" of the book.

115797-Hulk181CGC9.6W(sm).jpg.63718d5f4cb1f657b540202ae33023f7.jpg

dooooh... not meant as a tease, sorry... (there's plenty of 9.6's out there),

Its just a beautiful piece worthy of admiration... the owner is irrelevant. I could not manage to attach the big scan which would have been nicer.

Here's cruel though... I recall you are (were?) a big What If? fan... I finally obtained a What If #1 9.8 White... no staple related damage (by some miracle) on the front or back and one of the nicest spines I've seen on that book . I've been looking hard for that one... IC out bid me on the other 2 way back. That's a book that continues to be tough in 9.8. Less than 150 copies have been officially graded last time I checked BUT I know that many more went in for pre-screening.

"Prescreening" rejects are obviously not accounted for in the census. That can give a misleading total (like in this case) as to how many copies were actually sent in looking for HG. The source I bought this from submitted (50) unread, properly stored copies and had them prescreened for 9.6 or better. I wonder how many others sent in decent size lots of this book (and others)? It would be an interesting (but not a efficient use of time I know) to add "prescreen reject" numbers to the census somehow.. so we can get a true idea how many "high hopes" copies were really sent in looking for HG. That can drastically change the speculative landscape on a particular book and give a more accurate read on just how difficult the book is in grade.

No problems here! I like to see beautiful books!

I still collect What If? and have the full run...just sold ALL the duplicates that I had. I was trying to put together two NM runs for submission to CGC and my brain finally woke up and wanted to know why! wink.gif Better to just work on one great high grade run than to split my resources. I tend to over do things with my collections. wink.gif

The WI 9.8 sounds like a dream! I need to get my raw run into CGC to be graded so we can compare notes! wink.gif