• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Re-Attached tape" means nothing to the top GA books??

27 posts in this topic

With the Sup 1 on Clink at 51,510.00 (4 hours left), and the Tec 35 on HA that sold for 7200.00 with juice, both have the dreaded "tape" stank to them, maybe doesn't mean a thing with the top 20 GA books,

What your take?

It wouldn't say it means nothing. Even before CGC changed its policies, it meant something. I would guess those books would have had noticeably higher prices without the tape, but with scarce books people are going to bid, tape or no tape.

If the GA market cools off and books start to come down in price, I would guess that taped books are headed for a bigger fall.

The 35 went for FMV, tape or no tape. Some folks may not care much as long as they like the appeal. The 1.8 Supe 1 I called $55k-$60k if the tape doesn't bother the two squirrels fighting for that nut in the end. It's possible the tape on the inside FC if the supe is not being used to attach the cover..?

All valid points,

Since many of us don't have pix of before and after on books, in question,

I assume overall eye appeal, mixed with a "top 20 GA book to have" could be the factor where tape or no tape, may not mean a thing,

Unless at some point if the GA market moves down, taped books would presume, take the biggest hit, first?

The lower the grade, the larger the bidding pool, the less tape will bother someone. It's always been that way.

Sorry you couldn't get the books you wanted for cheap, Bunky!

:baiting:

All valid points,

I assume overall eye appeal, mixed with a "top 20 GA book to have" could be the factor where tape or no tape, may not mean a thing,

Unless at some point if the GA market moves down, taped books would presume, take the biggest hit, first?

yah and Supe 1 is arguably the hottest GA key right now. An expected Hollywood success next month will boost all supe/action titles a bit I think. Having any copy of Supe 1 is viable :)

It's going to take some time for the hobby to catch up with Cgc's new ruling.
expected price resistance will follow. We are already seeing it with some documentated "tape jobs". In the end, the market will correct itself a bit and the "cream of the crop" GA books will still continue its upward trend over time.

All valid points,

yah and Supe 1 is arguably the hottest GA key right now. An expected Hollywood success next month will boost all supe/action titles a bit I think. Having any copy of Supe 1 is viable :)

There's one ending tonight. :whistle:

expected price resistance will follow. We are already seeing it with some documentated "tape jobs". In the end, the market will correct itself a bit and the "cream of the crop" GA books will still continue its upward trend over time.

Dang documentated books! Is that a Gatsby word? :)

Dang documentated books! Is that a Gatsby word? :)

I don't believe so ole sport lol

There's no way a superman #1 would sell ultra cheap. Even the ugliest copies with tape fetch alot. It will sell maybe for a little less. But don't get your hopes up on the price dramatically dropping. It's too much in demand and scare.

There's no way a UNRESTORED superman #1 would sell ultra cheap. Even the ugliest copies with tape fetch alot. It will sell maybe for a little less. But don't get your hopes up on the price dramatically dropping. It's too much in demand and scare.

Fixed it for you. Unrestored copies are not nearly as scarce and have not appreciated nearly at the same rate as their counterparts.

What is the new stance on tape. I own one big book (in the top 15 books and has a detached piece from the back cover and many years ago I had used the ask CGC if I should attach the piece back to the cover and how they would deal with it. Or should I send the detached part. They never responded to me so I never got it certified.

So what is the new stance? Are they treating archival tape and tape as the same? It sounds like they are grading lower from some posts I have seen like a big conflict of interest since they own a restoration company now? Did I loose tens of thousands of dollars because of this?

What is the new stance on tape. I own one big book (in the top 15 books and has a detached piece from the back cover and many years ago I had used the ask CGC if I should attach the piece back to the cover and how they would deal with it. Or should I send the detached part. They never responded to me so I never got it certified.

So what is the new stance? Are they treating archival tape and tape as the same? It sounds like they are grading lower from some posts I have seen like a big conflict of interest since they own a restoration company now? Did I loose tens of thousands of dollars because of this?

Here's the thread - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6654100

There is a nice looking tec 36 in comicconnect as a 3.0. The cover has a full split taped up. Would be a 1.8 or 2.0 now. I have no interest, although even before the policy change my interest would be limited as i dont like tape.

James G

Judging by many current eBay examples, looks like Mark Wilson's response to CGC's new stance on tape is to keep taping up books, then sub them to PGX, who seem remarkably forgiving of tape. What a shame.