• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can we make Comics General a better place for those here and new members?

1,807 posts in this topic

Discuss hm

Kill the Locked thread points game.

Amen to that! :applause:

But I think the mods see it as a form of camaraderie. Unfortunately, they don't realize it is for all the wrong reasons.

Won't solve any of the issues. There will still be the same thread derailments, the same n00b hazing, the same everything. The only difference will be the lack of points.

Anyone who thinks this will make CG a kinder, gentler place is fooling themselves

Well, it would cut down on the stuff that appears to deliberately get threads locked which is considerable IMHO.

All the game did was quantify what has always happened here. Threads started by controversial posters, silly threads, and threads that devolve into politics, religion and other flashpoint topics have always derailed and gotten locked or poofed. Is the game stupid, absolutely. But it has nothing to do with the fact that CG is and always has been a hot mess. The game quantifies CG madness, but doesn't create it. It probably exacerbates it, at times.

It will most likely be gone soon, if for no other reason than to shut people up and stop the LTPC button humping. Chances are some other rough beast will slouch toward Bethlehem to be born soon thereafter.

+1

The madness, flaming, fighting and button humping all came first, and the "game" was created as a commentary on how out of hand things can get. It didn't create any of the above.

It's the equivalent of a gaper's delay driving past a 10-car pile up. The guy who's driving past when the tow truck shows up gets the points. He didn't create the accident, he didn't cause the mayhem, he was just there when the clean up crew arrived.

People who blame a game for the vast majority of the navel-gazing, preening jagoffery that goes on in these forums on a daily basis around here are the same people that can't see how creating a thread about every last pustule on their posterior might also be fomenting the j-hole-anization of the forums and NOT a means to up the peace up in this piece.

Personally, I think that you're all losers.

As it should be. :foryou:

That avatar you're using is mighty fine....I was thinking about organizing a week where we all "Greggy-Up" and change our avatars and tell everyone to suck it. hm

You going to any shows before WW Chicago?

People who blame a game for the vast majority of the navel-gazing, preening jagoffery that goes on in these forums on a daily basis around here are the same people that can't see how creating a thread about every last pustule on their posterior might also be fomenting the j-hole-anization of the forums and NOT a means to up the peace up in this piece.

Must be a coincidence.

I don't mind the LTPC game...it was a cute idea and the inventor's intentions were good.

it was bothering me a few weeks ago, but that was because there was other stuff going on here. Silliness is fine, joking around is what makes the place fun...but

there were too many mean postings. Postings making fun of how people dressed at shows, about what other people collect and how inferior it was..and really mean postings about a few people who are just different. Postings about how stupid eBay people were.

If someone doesn't own what you do, where is it written that makes you a superior person? How do you even KNOW that they can't afford what you do? Maybe they just like what they collect?

Where did all that happen?

My life keeps avoiding me.

It must know something I don't.

This

-slut

Plus one.

Unplug, slym. You quit life, not the other way around.

:foryou:

I still don't get it.

And who said the word "quit?"

-slym

Nevermind.

Carry on.

Discuss hm

Kill the Locked thread points game.

Amen to that! :applause:

But I think the mods see it as a form of camaraderie. Unfortunately, they don't realize it is for all the wrong reasons.

Won't solve any of the issues. There will still be the same thread derailments, the same n00b hazing, the same everything. The only difference will be the lack of points.

Anyone who thinks this will make CG a kinder, gentler place is fooling themselves

Well, it would cut down on the stuff that appears to deliberately get threads locked which is considerable IMHO.

These threads that get locked have been locked because of fighting or nastiness not because anyone has ever came in and said anything regarding points.

PIP got one locked once because he posted some risque pics. Posting those pics happens all the time. The mods now delete them so you can't cite that as an example and they weren't anything that was "rewarded" by the LTPC. No thread has ever been locked because of memes. No thread has ever been locked because it has gone off topic and turned into joke fest 2000 or chat central.

Boscos says it is for the wrong reasons. What reasons? You, and others, say people deliberately try to get threads locked? Where?

The LTPC is not the problem. People co-existing on the internet is the problem. I don't like Rupp. Rupp doesn't like me. Yay. We have that part figured out. There shouldn't be a problem should there?

Rupp, Boscos, Mikenyc, you seem to think the LTPC is the problem. You present that as fact when it isn't. I will still post like the goober that I am and poke fun at those that take this place waaaaayyy to seriously. So that doesn't solve what the real issue is and that is that people can't get along.

Either way, have fun storming the castle.

Must be a coincidence.

1qm61.jpg

If the LTPC gets shut down, I will personally create and host a web page keeping track of the same points.

Why? What is its purpose and significance to you?

It's a post to reiterate Sean's earlier point. The LTPC isn't making CG worse. I'd argue that CG is only "worse" than some false perception of what CG used to be. It's never been daisies and sunshine around here.

That doesn't really answer why its continuation is so crucial to you. Which is the point I was seeking an understanding of.

It's not crucial to me. You're missing the point. My post was to highlight the fact that the LTPC doesn't cause grief here. I was saying that I will continue the LTPC if needed on another site. That way people can see that it is an effect, not a cause of grief in CG.

If the LTPC gets shut down, I will personally create and host a web page keeping track of the same points.

Why? What is its purpose and significance to you?

It's a post to reiterate Sean's earlier point. The LTPC isn't making CG worse. I'd argue that CG is only "worse" than some false perception of what CG used to be. It's never been daisies and sunshine around here.

That doesn't really answer why its continuation is so crucial to you. Which is the point I was seeking an understanding of.

It's not crucial to me. You're missing the point. My post was to highlight the fact that the LTPC doesn't cause grief here. I was saying that I will continue the LTPC if needed on another site. That way people can see that it is an effect, not a cause of grief in CG.

You are right.

Lock down the LTPC and see absolutely nothing change. I like it.

Boscos says it is for the wrong reasons. What reasons? You, and others, say people deliberately try to get threads locked? Where?

You weren't at the last meeting?

CG needs hugs from Nate.

Even my hugs are not enough to save the hot mess that is CG.

Perhaps if we combined the power of our hugs.

And now you are completely off topic.

And this thread had absolutely nothing to do with comics to begin with.

And it has memes.

And jokes.

Destined to become locked as well because someone will take something, anything, personally.

Whoa.

You weren't at the last meeting?

I am the leader. I don't go to the meetings. That is why I have minions.

I think the LTPC exacerbates what to me is the downside of Comics General. A lot of people are just posting stuff and escalating it to the point where it gets locked.

It's not a big deal to me, there isn't much in CG that appeals to me these days. It's all just my opinion and I'm not expecting to foment change here.