• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can we make Comics General a better place for those here and new members?

1,807 posts in this topic

More birthday threads

Of just board members, or do you want favorite celebrities, historic figures and cherished postal workers?

Yes

Your wish is our command.

http://www.famousbirthdays.com/

jackson-latoya-image.jpg

LaToya appreciates you thinking of her.

(:

1qaeq.jpg

meme stolen from Lovitz

Was it really? :taptaptap:

:facepalm::foryou:

Discuss hm

Kill the Locked thread points game.

Discuss hm

Amen to that! :applause:

But I think the mods see it as a form of camaraderie. Unfortunately, they don't realize it is for all the wrong reasons.

More birthday threads

Of just board members, or do you want favorite celebrities, historic figures and cherished postal workers?

Yes

Your wish is our command.

http://www.famousbirthdays.com/

jackson-latoya-image.jpg

LaToya appreciates you thinking of her.

(:

1qaeq.jpg

meme stolen from Lovitz

Was it really? :taptaptap:

:facepalm::foryou:

lol

Discuss hm

But I think the mods see it as a form of camaraderie. Unfortunately, they don't realize it is for all the wrong reasons.

Won't solve any of the issues. There will still be the same thread derailments, the same n00b hazing, the same everything. The only difference will be the lack of points.

Anyone who thinks this will make CG a kinder, gentler place is fooling themselves

Discuss hm

Won't solve any of the issues. There will still be the same thread derailments, the same n00b hazing, the same everything. The only difference will be the lack of points.

Anyone who thinks this will make CG a kinder, gentler place is fooling themselves

Well, it would cut down on the stuff that appears to deliberately get threads locked which is considerable IMHO.

Discuss hm

Doing nothing is fooling yourself, though. That's the concern here. And I am not saying the end of the forum is coming if action is not taken.

But the double-standard (e.g. don't tell people what to think - but then we will shut down your thread for points because we don't like what you post) in no way serves the purpose of building community.

This forum has raised well over $180,000 to help fellow forumites because of strong community spirit. Why allow something so divisive as the locked threads point challenge to disrupt that sense of community?

This forum has raised well over $180,000 to help fellow forumites because of strong community spirit. Why allow something so divisive as the locked threads point challenge to disrupt that sense of community?

It doesn't disrupt the sense of community. We still come together when needed to help people.

I swear some people want this place to be all kumbaya all the time. Life, and internet message boards, aren't like that.

The one concession I will make is that it is absolutely true that sometimes the n00bs get an unfair hazing. That is unfortunate. However, sometimes the n00b deserves the hazing so it's a matter of degrees.

It doesn't disrupt the sense of community. We still come together when needed to help people.

I swear some people want this place to be all kumbaya all the time. Life, and internet message boards, aren't like that.

The one concession I will make is that it is absolutely true that sometimes the n00bs get an unfair hazing. That is unfortunate. However, sometimes the n00b deserves the hazing so it's a matter of degrees.

Kumbaya-ish = No

Less arguing for the sake of arguing, calling people "neeb/noob/neub", calling someone's idea stupid because it differs from yours, disrupting a thread for LTC points = Yes

I'll admit, I've gotten into nasty debates that later on I wish I hadn't. Would others admit that? I'm not so sure, because they are too busy calling people "noobs", posting what are sensible rules and then doing the opposite and all the other BS that goes on as part of an internet community that has at times gotten off point.

By the way, I get called a noob by some of the older forumites. I don't get all butthurt by it. (shrug)

Not saying you do Nick. Just sayin'

lol

Me neither. Dicex can still call me a NOOB all day long, and it makes me laugh.

:cloud9:

Just for someone really new, they may not realize it is all in good fun, and meant to make them laugh at the jokes. At least I like to think that is the intent.

Discuss hm

Well, it would cut down on the stuff that appears to deliberately get threads locked which is considerable IMHO.

All the game did was quantify what has always happened here. Threads started by controversial posters, silly threads, and threads that devolve into politics, religion and other flashpoint topics have always derailed and gotten locked or poofed. Is the game stupid, absolutely. But it has nothing to do with the fact that CG is and always has been a hot mess. The game quantifies CG madness, but doesn't create it. It probably exacerbates it, at times.

It will most likely be gone soon, if for no other reason than to shut people up and stop the LTPC button humping. Chances are some other rough beast will slouch toward Bethlehem to be born soon thereafter.

This was a much better place when it was ruled by the old guard. At least it was more entertaining. The new top dogs were much better as underlings
This.

Who is "the old guard?"

Who are "the new top dogs?"

-slym

This was a much better place when it was ruled by the old guard. At least it was more entertaining. The new top dogs were much better as underlings
This.
That.

Chances are some other rough beast will slouch toward Bethlehem to be born soon thereafter.

:o

This.

I do wish some of the older posters would come back/post more.

And if anyone thinks that I consider myself some kind of "top dog" ??? that's the biggest pile of dogpoopy I've ever heard of. lol:screwy:

I come here to gab, mess around and yes, talk about comics. Though, I usually do that in the sub forums. I enjoy the "locker room" atmosphere of CG. It's kind of like the lobby where everyone mills around until their movie begins.