• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

Obviously this one hasn't arrived yet, but Heritage charged my credit card so this sucker's on its way!

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=15062&Lot_No=17448

Hardly the greatest cover in the run, but I'm a sucker for Story comics in highgrade. I find them to be one of toughest pre-code publishers to find in HG...even tougher than Ajax IMO. Anybody else notice this as well?

I purchased this a few years ago. I am not sure about the rarity of the book, even in low grade. Would someone please tell me what they know about this pre-code horror book. It is a genre I don't collect, but it had a great cover so I bought it. EerieComics22.jpggossip.gif

That is a very nice Eerie #2. Looks like Wally Wood cover to me. Published by Avon, which had overall very nice covers and some darned good stories. Avon published Eerie as a one-shot in 1947. It is considered to be the first all-horror comic. The title began again with a different #1 in 1951 and ran for 17 issues. Your #2 is from this run. Avon had another continuing pre-code horror series, Witchcraft, which ran from issue #1 through #6 (1952 - 1953)

Avon is well know for a series of one-shots covering a few genres. Their pre-code 1-shots were City Of The Living Dead, Diary Of Horror; Night Of Mystery, Phantom Witch Doctor and The Dead Who Walk. I consider Avon's pre-code output, while small in comparison to many other publishers, to be of a very high quality. They are amoung my favorites of the pre-codes.

Hope this is of interest.

I posted this a few weeks ago when I won the auction, and also posted it in the General Forum, but this just arrived today. Nice 7.0 Blue label(of course, it will be out of that slab and in a Mylar by the weekend!).

scan00282ti.jpg

It IS a nice looking copy, DD. And I envy your reaction when it comes out of the plastic and really glows!!!!!!! I have been re-perusing these pre-code horror threads and will be looking for some bargains in San Diego. But if prices are still too high I won't shell out. Here's hoping!

Thanks for the information. I'm amazed at the knowledge of so many comic collectors. Yes, it is a Wally Wood cover. Is he still around?

Sadly he died over two decades ago.

There will never be another like him!!! One of the alll time true Greats!!! hail.gif

How about this for a _mind blowing_ sale?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6543772545&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

4 different bidders bid $200 or more for this VG copy of Black Cat Mystery #50. The final sale was $481 to Al Stoltz.

I bought a copy in about VG- for around $150 earlier this year. This book is highly sought after, but I didn't expect a VG copy to go for so much.

I don't see this book that often. However, if I thought $480 was a good deal for a VG copy, I would strongly consider buying the 9.4 copy that I saw at Motor City earlier this year for something like $1200. Makes that one look like a steal.

However, when I bought my VG- copies of TOT #15 and BCM #50, I went for low grade because Harvey's (and any other books as part of a warehouse find) scare me off. It's a risky investment, I think.

Edited by paull