• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,239 posts in this topic

Pre-code DC horror.

730453-HouseofMys9.jpg

730453-HouseofMys9.jpg.e96600197aca7377a46fec2fcdafa6d1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

While they often showed a bold use of color - the covers of most pre-code DC "horror" books look less scary than alot of post-code Atlas. But some of the sci-fi covers were amazing- I wouldn't mind seeing some more of those posted.

I agree that the DC pre-code stuff was pretty tame, but they still had pretty art and covers.

Thanks for sticking up for me. They aren't gruesome (no ritual disemboweling or cannibalism), but I do think HOM 9 has a good cover -- the oranges/reds/yellows are quite striking on this copy.

As for precodekeith makepoint.gif

With regards to DC Sci-Fi, this is from a post I put in the Silver Age thread:

this is right on the borderline between GA/SA, but i'll post it here for the heck of it.

if you look in the gerber guide, he mistakenly lists this as issue 30, rather than 50. that mistake caused me much confusion in trying to find the right book!

730682-SA50.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

While they often showed a bold use of color - the covers of most pre-code DC "horror" books look less scary than alot of post-code Atlas. But some of the sci-fi covers were amazing- I wouldn't mind seeing some more of those posted.

The best DC pre-code horror covers IMHO were the late Sensation covers. The fingers trminating into imps, the mummy scene, etc.

I'm with ya, POV! The Sensation covers were probably the best DC pre-code horror IMO. I am kinda partial to the first HoM cover as well. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

HOM 1 893naughty-thumb.gif

And you were complaining about my HOM 9.

HOM is a pretty lame cover -- a pale imitation of the pulp that inspired it. I can scan the pulp if anyone is interested.

Edited by adamstrange

HOM is a pretty lame cover -- a pale imitation of the pulp that inspired it. I can scan the pulp if anyone is interested

Funny thing about HOM #1. It actually reminds me of the DC Bronze Age Sinister House Of Secret Love, Secrets Of Sinister House etc. but I always felt these DC Bronze age titles were better than the HOM #1.

PLEASE - show us a scan of the pulp that inspired this cover!!!!!!!!