• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

My favorite Weird Fantasy cover. A classic. Thanks goes out Vinny Z. @ Metropolis Comics. I will buy from you guys again in the future!!! :luhv:

Great book - it's one of my favorite EC covers too! :headbang:

I broke down and overpaid for this copy at Heroes. I've owned other copies in the past, but never one that I felt was a "keeper". This one has nice sharp corners, edges, and gloss - and the paper is fantastic.

Beautiful colors on your copy......gorgeous. You don't see a copy this nice everyday. Want to trade it for a 5.5-6.0 copy that is signed by Bill Gaines? hm:insane:

Bill who?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Gaines

Gaines's comics may have appealed to adults, but comic books were (and to a degree, still are) considered by the general public to be aimed at children. With the publication of Dr. Fredric Wertham's Seduction of the Innocent, comic books in the Gaines style drew the attention of the U.S. Congress and the moralizing classes in general. Gaines' testimony before the Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency in 1954 achieved notoriety for his unapologetic, matter-of-fact tone, and Gaines became a boogeyman for those wishing to censor the product. One exchange became particularly infamous:

Chief Counsel Herbert Beaser: Let me get the limits as far as what you put into your magazine. Is the sole test of what you would put into your magazine whether it sells? Is there any limit you can think of that you would not put in a magazine because you thought a child should not see or read about it?

Bill Gaines: No, I wouldn't say that there is any limit for the reason you outlined. My only limits are the bounds of good taste, what I consider good taste.

Beaser: Then you think a child cannot in any way, in any way, shape, or manner, be hurt by anything that a child reads or sees?

Gaines: I don't believe so.

Beaser: There would be no limit actually to what you put in the magazines?

Gaines: Only within the bounds of good taste.

Beaser: Your own good taste and saleability?

Gaines: Yes.

Senator Estes Kefauver: Here is your May 22 issue. [Kefauver is mistakenly referring to Crime Suspenstories #22, cover date May] This seems to be a man with a bloody axe holding a woman's head up which has been severed from her body. Do you think that is in good taste?

Gaines: Yes sir, I do, for the cover of a horror comic. A cover in bad taste, for example, might be defined as holding the head a little higher so that the neck could be seen dripping blood from it, and moving the body over a little further so that the neck of the body could be seen to be bloody.

Kefauver: You have blood coming out of her mouth.

Gaines: A little.

Kefauver: Here is blood on the axe. I think most adults are shocked by that.

I know, I know. It was a joke.

Have you read the 12 cent plague yet? He documents how Gaines was living on amphetamines in the days leading up to that testimony and was all strung out. By the time he was called, he was exhausted and flopped miserably. I'm not sure that would have made a difference in the outcome, but interesting nonetheless.

A few more came yesterday. The first three came from Sharon (skypinkblu) and the final two came from Vince (tkg2627). Thanks again guys. They are all great. :)

Spellbound #23

spellbound23nv8.jpg

Web of Mystery #5

webofmystery5kx2.jpg

Thrilling Comics #61

thrillingcomics61yn5.jpg

Mystic #26

mystic26mh0.jpg

Adventures into Terror #17

adventuresintoterror17py5.jpg

A few more came yesterday. The first three came from Sharon (skypinkblu) and the final two came from Vince (tkg2627). Thanks again guys. They are all great. :)

Great covers all!