• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,225 posts in this topic

I know this has been covered before...but besides TMiH # 3, what is another pre-code issue that is inexplicably uncommon ? I know the Voodoo Annual is one.

Besides annuals and one-shot or just really obscure, what is another mainstream Pre-code book that just rarely pops up ??

Yes, finally some one is picking up on it. It is a coverless copy of TMiH # 3 which will go well with my copy, which, of course, suffers from bad spine split -

I find it so interesting that besides never popping up for sale, what a GREAT COVER !!!!!

Yours is the copy that is on the GCD ?

on the Golden Age comics site, the site with tons of scanned books you can read, TMiH is the ONLY comic not scanned into the run.

IT'S FRIGGIN RARE....

Has there been any speculation on why TMIH #3 is so scarce? It is unusual for a regular format mid-run book from a larger publisher to be so rare.

On the flip side what's the most common PCH book - Thing #16? - or do some of the EC or Harvey books rival it?

Has there been any speculation on why TMIH #3 is so scarce? It is unusual for a regular format mid-run book from a larger publisher to be so rare.

My theory is that the case of TMiH # 3 is not singular. Anyone else finds it odd that out of the last 4 books I need for my set, 2 are some other Fawcett books, including one of their "flagship" series? I believe "something" happened not only to TMiH # 3 but also to Master Comics and Bill Boyd Western that month (i.e., they were printed together and there's a fourth issue involved which I can't ID since I must have lucked into a copy without knowing how tough it would otherwise be to get. I am guessing Ken Maynard btw).

Did it happen at the printing plant, in transit or elsewhere ... I don't know but I see a lot more of the surrounding issues of Master and Bill Boyd than I see the ones I need. The market became aware of TMiH b/c it's a PCH book but it's not an isolated incident IMO.

Interesting! It wonder if the books in question were released not just in the same month, but in the same week. It would indicate that something happened to the bulk of the Fawcett print run, possibly covered by insurance so that Fawcett saw no reason to go back to the presses.

My theory, since every copy of THis MaG IS hAUnted has spine splits, it that the majority of them became coverless EARLY ON and probably discarded.

Fawcett for March 1952.

All we need to do is find the guys, at the plant these were printed in , probably Dec 1951 or Jan 1952 and ask them. Easy.

I'm sure if we found one of them they would have retained a clear memory.

Just ask them "Hey, so do you recall the day you guys were printing This Magazine is Haunted, specifically issue number 3 ?"

I know this has been covered before...but besides TMiH # 3, what is another pre-code issue that is inexplicably uncommon ? I know the Voodoo Annual is one.

Besides annuals and one-shot or just really obscure, what is another mainstream Pre-code book that just rarely pops up ??

It can be difficult to separate truly scarce books from books that people keep in their collections and are not seen on the market that often.

For instance... Mister Mystery #12... scarce or simply seldom sold due to classic cover?

Voodoo Annual is definitely scarce in anything above VG. When they show up, they are usually around Good or Good+. The Farrell annuals (Voodoo, Fighting Man, G-I In Battle) often have loose pages due to the glue failing on the squarebound spines.

These two are tough...

Voodoo #5 may be tougher to find than the Voodoo Annual...

98792.jpg.3ef9c1d8e68e2efa686bf101c8f2c3bb.jpg

98793.jpg.46e21dce06c86f8734e1235e6f832cb7.jpg

Voodoo #5 is one of the tougher Voodoos, although my copy is in much better condition than my Voodoo Annual! :) I think you'll find a Fine copy of Voodoo #5 much more readily than you'll find an Annual in Fine.

Edited by *paull*

4636633461_407b8ae9cc.jpg

I saw this cover and thought it was by Don Heck.

Did he work for Toby at one time or did a little freelance?

I didn't buy this yet but found a copy on GA.UK

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Voodoo #5 is one of the tougher Voodoos, although my copy is in much better condition than my Voodoo Annual! :) I think you'll find a Fine copy of Voodoo #5 much more readily than you'll find an Annual in Fine.

As far as availability period...

Right now Metropolis has four copies of Voodoo Annual for sale - the highest graded is VG-. It's not one of the toughest books to find.

If you're talking availability in Fine condition, that's a whole 'nother animal. (thumbs u

My theory is that the case of TMiH # 3 is not singular. Anyone else finds it odd that out of the last 4 books I need for my set, 2 are some other Fawcett books, including one of their "flagship" series? I believe "something" happened not only to TMiH # 3 but also to Master Comics and Bill Boyd Western that month (i.e., they were printed together and there's a fourth issue involved which I can't ID since I must have lucked into a copy without knowing how tough it would otherwise be to get. I am guessing Ken Maynard btw).

Did it happen at the printing plant, in transit or elsewhere ... I don't know but I see a lot more of the surrounding issues of Master and Bill Boyd than I see the ones I need. The market became aware of TMiH b/c it's a PCH book but it's not an isolated incident IMO.

Worlds Of Fear #2 (#1) was cover dated January, 1952. It may have been printed at the same time as This Mag Is Haunted #3, cover dated Feb, 1952. Most copies suffer from the same brittle cover stock with chipping and spine splits as TMiH #3. It also is one of the scarcer pre-code titles - probably the hardest number in the title to track down.

98827.jpg.5800461c89bda406f8cffcaf5e73f087.jpg

I think I posed when I first bought it in winter, but just back from CGC. Flopped it in comics general, but somebody posted some HG bronze X-Mens... so I foresee little love for this there... My highest GA book! :banana:

Crypt32Fcgc.jpg

I love date stamps on covers...nice book!

Nice book Mio. The date stamp is actually pretty cool too. My CSS 22 has a similar date stamp to that one.

Worlds Of Fear #2 (#1) was cover dated January, 1952. It may have been printed at the same time as This Mag Is Haunted #3, cover dated Feb, 1952. Most copies suffer from the same brittle cover stock with chipping and spine splits as TMiH #3. It also is one of the scarcer pre-code titles - probably the hardest number in the title to track down.

That's a good candidate. I've searched eBay's listings for 1952 dated books for 5 years and I don't recall seeing one copy for sale nor have I seen a copy at a con either that I can recall. # 3 is much more common.

That's a good candidate. I've searched eBay's listings for 1952 dated books for 5 years and I don't recall seeing one copy for sale nor have I seen a copy at a con either that I can recall. # 3 is much more common.

WOF2.jpg

Fawcett Movie Comics #15 - Man From Planet X - was also cover dated Febuary 1952. It is another of those impossible to find in high grade Fawcetts from that time period. Even the Crowley copies exhibited extensive spine splitting leading me to believe that Fawcett just used a really bad batch of paper stock for that issue, and possibly all issues printed that month.