• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,221 posts in this topic

hope that you're not trying hard to put together a collection of 8.0 Star Coles... you're not only going to go broke, but crazy also!

I am going to try. As I said before, I highlighted 50 issues that I would like to get. There is no question this will take many years as a few of the books on my list don't even have a copy graded at CGC 8.0 or above. And what will make it harder, is I would like the books to have at least Off-White pages (but I will buy Cream to Off-White if I see a reasonably priced copy).

Nice Startling Terror Tales. Metro has a CGC 8.0 for $300. I've been thinking about it, but as of yet, have not pulled the trigger.

Sfilosa, good luck with that Cole run. With time and patience, I think it could be done at a semi-affordable price (and there's probably one or two people who've done it already). 8.0's are a great deal right now, as everybody's turning up their noses and pouring their dollars into the 9.2's and up. Five to seven years from now, when some of these books are still only slabbed at no higher than an 8.5, the tune's gonna change.

Your comment about looking for books with off-white pages or better intruiges me. Do you other pre-coders out there find cream pages disdainful as well? What about--gasp--light tanning? At what point does the page quality make a book undesirable for you guys?

I guess I'm asking as I recently purchased my first book with tan pages, and have mixed emotions about it. It's a great book with a classic cover (Airfighters #6...not horror, but maybe should be!), CGC'd at 6.0 with light tan to off-white pages. While I'm glad to finally own a presentable copy of the book at a reasonable price, I wonder what kind of resistance I'll have if and when I try to resell (due to the tanning). Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? confused-smiley-013.gif

Sfilosa, good luck with the Star collection....

Regarding page quality, I don't mind off-white or cream pages. My only problem with worsened page quality is that it usually accompanies a brittle spine which seems to be my biggest problem with pre-code books in low grade.

I wouldn't really say that there are bargains in 8.0 pre-code books. But it certainly applies to Silver Age Marvels. Pre-code horror is hard as hell to collect in 8.0 or higher. I can't imagine what those Haunted Thrills books would have cost me if they were above 8.0. I don't think I would have gone for them since the HT #5 probably would have been $900-$1000.

I'm perfectly satisfied with 4.0 books, but try to find slightly nicer copies (maybe 5.0 to 7.0) of my favorites.

Some books would command ridiculous prices in high grade. I can't imagine what a Mistery Mystery #12 or Horrific #3 in 9.0 would go for...

Regarding page quality.

For me, and I know many others, feel that Off-White is the lowest page quality acceptable for Silver-Age and higher. If you see a nice book sell for a lot less than the usual premium, it's most like because of Cream to Off-White page quality or a date stamp / writing on the front cover.

Now GA and pre-code is different. I have bought a few books that have Cream to Off-White pages and had date stamps / arrival codes on the front because in many cases, it's the highest graded copy.

Would I buy a book at this time with Tan pages? No. But if I was closer to completing my goal, and the only copy available had Tan to Off-White pages, I probably would buy it (but would expect to pay less then if the book had Off-White pages).

Page Quality does factor into the final price.

Interesting discussion, gents!

Yep, GA is definitely a different ballgame than SA in terms of page quality. I remember once proudly showing off a Vault of Horror CGC'd at 8.5 to an SA guy, and the first response was "eww, cream to off-white pages!". I was initally stunned. After slogging through the conventions and the bins and the untold numbers of G- copies, I luck onto a beauty, and this dude's person_without_enough_empathying about the pages!??! 893whatthe.gif

Ahem, I digress. Yeah, like I said, I have reservations about the light tanning on books, and I'm still not sure how I feel about my recent purchase (though it's not for sale, hehe). I am, these days, strictly a GA collector. I made the jump from BA to GA about two years back. Truth be told, I never developed any sincere taste for silver. I think that's mainly cause I'm not a super-hero guy. Never much went in for spidey or any of that sort of stuff.

Like Paull says, finding books over 8.0 is TOUGH. Finding them at a price you can afford is damned near impossible. But to me, that's become the fun of the GA game. As far as I can see, the only thing that prevents a person from putting together a great run of Spidey, Avengers, etc, ad infinitum, is $$$$. The books are available, if you got the dough. Let's see, today's Sunday....if I spread around a few hundred grand, I could have a terrific run of Spidey in 9.4 delivered to my door by Friday. (Not that I have hundreds of thousands of bucks, but you get my point). Where's the challenge in that? No thrill of the hunt there. With GA, you've got to be vigilant, and you've got to be able to make good decisions quickly before someone else beats you to the punch and the book you wanted is tucked away forever. While that's proven intensely frustrating on several occasions, I get a real sense of satisfaction when I flip through my books and see what I've managed to put together.

Here's how the page quality breaks down for me, for GA:

White pages--You want my name written in blood? Where do I sign? devil.gif

Off-white to white--Sure thing! I think I've got a couple of grand under the mattress...

Cream to off-white--I'll take it, if it's slabbed in 7.5 or better or if I've been looking for a long time.

Cream pages--slabbed in 8.0 or better, if I can afford it. takeit.gif

Light tan---a little turned off, but I'll take it if it's a classic cover, a key issue, or "scarce"

Tan--it better be a mega-key of serious import

Brittle--I don't care if it's Action #1, HELL NO!! 893frustrated.gif

Regarding page quality, I avoid tan pages, but am OK with cream-off white if the book is desirable.

I almost completely stopped collecting Silver Age Marvels, the books that jump-started my interest in vintage books. As shrunkenhead mentioned, it's only a matter of money to put together a collection of any Silver Age Marvel title. Want a run of 9.0 Fantastic Four #1-100? Give me a couple days...

Want a 8.0 run of Weird Mysteries? Umm..... have a few years?

Anyone here collect Suspense Comics? My copy of #8 has a bit of a brittle spine and it looks like that it's a common affliction with this title. The cover paper looks to be of low quality. I want to get #9-12, but fear that it's going to be pretty difficult to get these books near 4.0 or 5.0 without giving up a limb.

I go for the best page quality I can. If I can get a Fine cover with off white pages I will take it over a VF cover with cream pages. But the last year os so I am finding OW page quality to be scarcer and scarcer in rpecode horror. Cream to OW is about where I draw the line, unless the acetic acid ("vinegar") smell is absent and the pages are still supple. But usually as a last resort for a really desired book.

Shrunkenhead,

the image of the bullet-hole-in-head guy on Horrific #3 is taken from War Fury #1. Unless someone beats me to it, I will post both later tonight. I've always loved the cover to Horrific #3, and personally always felt Mr. Mystery #12 was a tad overrated - cool cover for sure, but not in my personal top-ten. Now if that poker was going into the eye- that would be something.

Like Paull says, finding books over 8.0 is TOUGH. Finding them at a price you can afford is damned near impossible. But to me, that's become the fun of the GA game. As far as I can see, the only thing that prevents a person from putting together a great run of Spidey, Avengers, etc, ad infinitum, is $$$$. The books are available, if you got the dough. Let's see, today's Sunday....if I spread around a few hundred grand, I could have a terrific run of Spidey in 9.4 delivered to my door by Friday. (Not that I have hundreds of thousands of bucks, but you get my point). Where's the challenge in that? No thrill of the hunt there.

I do collect Marvel Silver-Age books and I agree to a certain point that you could put a nice run together fairly fast (for the right money). Of course if the thrill of the hunt was the ONLY REASON to collect, then NO ONE would be collecting ALMOST any Bronze-Age or newer book.

When it comes to Silver-Age, I pretty much only buy 9.0 or higher (almost exclusively 9.4 after 1966).

That said, I actually prefer to find my 50's books in CGC 8.0 to 9.0 condition. I really don't want to pay 5 or 6 times the price to get a 9.4 book. Basically, most of the books are so hard to find, an 8.0 might be the best copy (or at least in the top five).

I consider Mister Mystery #12 and Horrific #3 to be similar, two slightly overrated covers that go for big bucks. Personally, I much prefer the Mister Mystery cover even though it's not Baily's best... he did better work on other issues in that run. As Heck did in Horrific.

Here's another purchase that I made this summer... Horrors of Mystery #13 (The Horrors #13) by Star Publications with another great L.B. Cole cover. I had a beater copy but fell in love with this 6.5 copy that I saw at a show. This is a really underrated cover, even in the realm of Cole covers. In the guide, the other issues in The Horrors series have higher values even though the covers aren't near as good. (all interiors are crime stories, reprints I believe)

595041-IMGP1748.JPG

595041-IMGP1748.JPG.b7cf06449188b867948bcd52b99911c8.JPG

Edited by paull

Great score on the Horrors of Mystery 13. What sort of stories are inside?

Here is a post of my Horrific #3 - this was one of the first pre-code horror books I picked up about 10 years ago, when I branched out from collecting pre-code crime.

595082-horrific3.jpg

595082-horrific3.jpg.c62dbc3941675ca8856987d0c1f3e13f.jpg

The Horrors #13 is filled with crime stories similar to the types that Startling Terror Tales had in some of the issues. Maybe these are Fox reprints? Not scintillating stuff, but the cover is the best part, and underrated as far as I'm concerned. One of my favorites by L.B. Cole...

Nice copy of Horrific #3! That's a tough book to find in high grade.

Thanks for posting the War Fury #1... I had no idea that Heck had copied one of his previous covers.

Regarding arrival dates and distro markings, they don't bother me at all as long as they are small. I consider them a part of the history of the comic art form. The books I collect are usually nowhere near 9.0, so arrival dates don't matter at all to me.

I hadn't thought of the Horrific #3 as particularly high grade until you mentioned it, but it is a very glossy flat copy. When I bought it from Harley Yee 10 years back ( for a whopping $38), I think he called it a FN- , probably due to the spine wear (no splitting though) and the edge tanning at the top and bottom of the covers (more noticable on the inside). After looking at alot of CGC scans of GA books (and even buying a few) I'd feel safe calling it at least a FN 6.0

Here is another excellent Don Heck cover - when I was a Marvel zombie in the early 70s, I didn't appreciate his talents, but when I discovered there was more to pre-code horror than EC, I realized how great he was. And you've got to love the logos on the Comic Media horror books - did he design them?

595101-weirdterror7.jpg

595101-weirdterror7.jpg.6d73ddbaf1aa39cbdb070d7411a85426.jpg

And here is a copy of War Fury #1, the book the image was taken from - the first pre-code war book I ever picked up, and a classic in it's own right - as it is also a flamethrower cover and has extremely violent war stories inside.

595084-warfury.jpg

That's a great cover - I've never seen it before. I imagine it's next to impossible to find?

It's probably no harder to find than Horrific #3, but expect to pay twice guide at least - it's not as unknown as it once was. Still, guide is low enough that it will seem cheap compared to most pre-code horror.