• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Well, it's just one of those deals where it might draw a buyer who may not even be a horror comic fan but has the money to spend on a superior grade GA book as an investment. I've said it time and time again from my own experience, and I've noted that others in the field have made the same observation: "the majority of horror comic fans are readers and go for lower to mid-grade material." Horror, for some reason, seems to draw more of a completionist mentality as opposed to HG NM buyers who are purchasing a nice looking cover that might lose investment $ if opened in the wrong manner.

And as far as westerns go, I don't think they'll ever see the same sort of spike that horror has. There's a number of reasons for this...primarily, though I think it's a genre that hasn't aged well. The covers are generally not grabbers, so many of the stories stink, and it doesn't have the "gore/gross" factor going for it (let's not forget that comics are a Male market--guys like covers with gore, guns, and boobs...sad, but true!). There are a few western keys that I wouldn't mind having, but I'm not likely to buy them as there's so much other material I'd rather have.

I agree with this 100%!. The reason I think horror is a timeless genre is that it is dealing with "being scared," which is a primal human emotion since the dawn of time. Horror isn't going anywhere, although it may wax and wane in mainstream pop culture popularity. Westerns however only appeal to a much more narrow spectrum of potential buyer. I promise you that more people on this planet can relate to having their well being threatened by that proverbial "boogeyman" as opposed to fighting off savages 'round the wagon train.

Very true Keith, the one semi-consistent exception being those few with big bucks who are chasing after Gaines file copies and the like. Those books, I think, have an appeal both to the horror fan and the investor. But for the most part, mid-grade does it for the horror buff. Hmm, could that be because the stories are actually worth reading, as opposed to most superhero drek? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think what I love most about pre-code horror is that it fits squarely into a uniquely American tradition, namely, that of the "weird tale." Poe, Lovecraft, Chambers, a host of other gothic writers and scribblers in the early pulps made the genre an American staple, borrowing from nineteenth century British gothic like M.G. Lewis' The Monk (a must-read novel for any pre-code fan!) and the French decadence of Rimbaud and J.K. Huysmans (Huysmans' La Bas also holds tremendous appeal for contemporary horror fans, I feel). It's hardly an accident that Ray Bradbury took to adapting his stories in the ole ECs. It was really a perfect marriage of media forms. There's a genuine literary tradition pulsing steadily beneath the surface of the pre-code comics. Granted the authors at Gilmore were hardly Poe, but the tradition remains intact. That to me is far more important than any webslinger.

Hey, I've got a question for everybody: What are your interests outside of pre-code horror? My guess is that we'd likely discover a lot of parallels. Fans of B-movies? Horror fiction? Fascinated by the history of occultism? Well, those are my interests, anyway!

In a way, I've actually made "horror" my profession, as I teach a course on the history of occult literature (no I'm not a believer, it's purely academic stuff). Anyone else done something similar, I mean, streamlined this fascination in horror into some facet of your life, work, etc?

Ok, I'm done rambling! 893blahblah.gif

And as far as westerns go, I don't think they'll ever see the same sort of spike that horror has. There's a number of reasons for this...primarily, though I think it's a genre that hasn't aged well. The covers are generally not grabbers, so many of the stories stink, and it doesn't have the "gore/gross" factor going for it (let's not forget that comics are a Male market--guys like covers with gore, guns, and boobs...sad, but true!). There are a few western keys that I wouldn't mind having, but I'm not likely to buy them as there's so much other material I'd rather have.

I agree with this 100%!. The reason I think horror is a timeless genre is that it is dealing with "being scared," which is a primal human emotion since the dawn of time. Horror isn't going anywhere, although it may wax and wane in mainstream pop culture popularity. Westerns however only appeal to a much more narrow spectrum of potential buyer. I promise you that more people on this planet can relate to having their well being threatened by that proverbial "boogeyman" as opposed to fighting off savages 'round the wagon train.

Yes, and it is reflected in movies as well. Westerns had their heyday but horror was always there. There have been many "horror westerns" - BILLY THE KID VS DRACULA, JESSE JAMES MEETS FRANKENSTEN'S DAUGHTER and the quite good CURSE OF THE UNDEAD are probably the three most recognized. But even in film, horror still reins supreme. The most expensive movie posters? Horror: FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA, THE MUMMY etc. Most of these are from the early 30's and easily precede Action #1.

Horror has been with humans since the dawn of time. It is an aspect of religion with devils, demons and good vs evil. It is an aspect of politics with the horrors of radiation and the Atom Age. It is an aspect of scoiety and society's taboos. It is all thos ewarnings we got as a kid: don't talk to strangers, don't go to that deserted house down the street, don't go near that dog, don;t put your finger in a "light socket". Don't, don't, don't.

And people love to get scared! How many times have fun-houses factored into horror comics? Or how many times have we been advised to NOT read this story at night or in a dark room?

And horror requires no costume. No western cowboy hat, no wartime helmet, no Arthurian armour. All horror requires is a bit of imagination and a bit of circumstance. Horror is simply visceral.

(my apologies for the soapbox - it is about to break so I will step down now) smile.gif

I'm a fan of westerns, but don't collect westerns currently. There are so many titles that I just don't know where to begin and which I would find interesting. I don't know what the future holds for GA western titles. It will be interesting to see if they hold or lose value over time.

One reason that I think Westerns could hold value is that these characters (Wyatt Earp, Jesse James, Billy The Kid, etc.) were real-life myths and legends, heroes and villains. I don't know if interest in them will ever die.

As for my other interests, I collect records, Steranko-related items, watch a lot of film (and some B-movies, but I don't really care much for low quality B 50's horror stuff), and various types of photography.

I think the sale of those western books might largely depend on your geography. A store in Texas is likely going to move those books a lot faster than somebody in sunny southern California. But, even on ebay, where geography is more or less irrelevant, those books just don't move much these days, particularly the high-grade westerns. Lone ranger sells sometimes, but aside from that, zippo.

Here's a book that I bought sometime late last year. It's a Mask 2 CGC 3.0, but the front cover looks beautiful. It makes a nice companion for my 3.0-3.5 Mask 1. Has a white mark at the upper right corner, probably from another book that was stacked on top of it. It doesn't look like a tape pull. A couple small creases on the cover, but this book has incredible gloss and color depth for a 3.0. It has a couple of heavy creases on the back cover, but who cares! The master, L.B. Cole, did his magic on the front.....

597550-IMGP1788.JPG

597550-IMGP1788.JPG.358ebaa1714f855bed54f86af2cde26a.JPG

Edited by paull

Thanks for the compliments...

I haven't cracked this book out of the holder yet (mainly because when I bought it, I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to keep it!), but I simply can't believe how bright and glossy the cover is. If this is a 3.0, hook me up with more, please.

I have to get myself a scanner... these photos are crapola!

Regarding reprints, I really don't buy any reprints of any books. The only thing that I'm interested is the TTTTT from New England Comics that POV recommended... because of the articles on pre-code horror. There's nothing like reading the original books...

Edited by paull

but I simply can't believe how bright and glossy the cover is.

Imagine how much brighter it will look out of the slab! The first book I cracked out of the slab was a NM- 9.2 Thing #16. I was shocked at how much more brilliant the book was out in the open like that!

I'm sure you're right smile.gif I only have three slabbed books, and haven't taken them out yet. They are just so cool to see in the holder. But I do want to read them, especially my copy of Weird Mysteries #2 with a Wolverton story.

Here's a new purchase... Haunted Thrills #18 (1954), the last issue in the run. This copy is in about VG condition. The interiors aren't as interesting as the earlier issues in the run. Different artists at the Iger studio worked on this one than the early ones that I have. I like the cover though... Iger had a way with using skulls and skeletons on his covers...

598385-IMGP1792.JPG

598385-IMGP1792.JPG.bf6599b190f5cd524b1c5f2681b2306d.JPG

Edited by paull

Thought this thread needed a wee shot in the arm...anybody noticed that there are two slabbed Strange mysteries #1 on ebay right now? One in 4.0, one in 5.0. Kind odd coinkydink, no? Always been a favorite cover of mine.....TTTTT ran it on one of their issues, I believe.

Ive got top bid on the 5.0 grin.gif

I noticed that too... I believe that there is a thread in the Marketplace about those two books...

Here's a purchase I made today at the New York con... not a huge selection of pre-code horror, but I saw some things that I craved... some of them beyond what I wanted to pay for them, however. This is a book that I've wanted for a while... Mister Mystery #14 with one of my favorite covers by Bernard Baily. This copy has a couple of corner creased, a small piece out on the lower right corner and a slight shadow at the top. Still a solid copy, especially for this title.

601141-IMGP1817.JPG

601141-IMGP1817.JPG.af3c7e475fe4df9b70d7e23b85c08997.JPG

Edited by paull