• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Thanks.. these pre-codes are scarce in higher grade, in general paper in the 50's was of a lower quality. Quite a few of the Northford's show tanning on the inside covers and hence I think thats why the grade of 8.5 on the Chilling Tales ...otherwise structurally the book is a 9.4.

very true. My book show the same interior tanning.

NorthfordSTT11cgc6_5_zpsedd60747.jpg

Thats a great looking book for the grade... even with the tanning it looks like that should re-grade better...at least in order to get the notes removed....Colors on the Northfords are striking....

Edited by sartre

I've decided to branch out into collecting certain coverless issues, as long as they are complete (sans cover of course), and in fairly good nick otherwise.

All these arrived yesterday from various sources :)

000_0001_zpsmrbdc66s.jpg

000_0004_zpsa8cz17ev.jpg

I've decided to branch out into collecting certain coverless issues, as long as they are complete (sans cover of course), and in fairly good nick otherwise.

That's a good way to get your feet wet in the PCH arena, Grantley!

BTW, There's a guy on eBay who sells "Photocopy" books in the GA Horror/SciFi category. I've gotten several reproduction covers, complete with inside graphics from him, relatively cheap. Just a thought if you want covers for any of those.

That's a good way to get your feet wet in the PCH arena, Grantley!

BTW, There's a guy on eBay who sells "Photocopy" books in the GA Horror/SciFi category. I've gotten several reproduction covers, complete with inside graphics from him, relatively cheap. Just a thought if you want covers for any of those.

I know about that guy too, but many thanks for the info. :)

000_0001_zpsmrbdc66s.jpg

000_0004_zpsa8cz17ev.jpg

That's a great way to get to read those fabulous stories. What do the various coloured stickers mean?

Thanks.. these pre-codes are scarce in higher grade, in general paper in the 50's was of a lower quality. Quite a few of the Northford's show tanning on the inside covers and hence I think thats why the grade of 8.5 on the Chilling Tales ...otherwise structurally the book is a 9.4.

Thats a great looking book for the grade... even with the tanning it looks like that should re-grade better...at least in order to get the notes removed....Colors on the Northfords are striking....

Thank you... The book actually looks much better in hand, colourwise. That's an old HA scan and it's doesn't show the true red at all.

000_0001_zpsmrbdc66s.jpg

000_0004_zpsa8cz17ev.jpg

That's a great way to get to read those fabulous stories. What do the various coloured stickers mean?

Oh, nothing. I used to put stickers on my Mylars when I collected Silver age to denote various levels of grade. All my Silver Age collection has gone now but I still have the Mylars which will fit in most GA books. The stickers won't come off clean.

I used to put stickers on my Mylars when I collected Silver age to denote various levels of grade. All my Silver Age collection has gone now but I still have the Mylars which will fit in most GA books. The stickers won't come off clean.

Use lighter fluid (Naptha). It won't discolor or attack paper or plastic. Squirt some on, then use a knife or razor blade to slide under the sticker, then wipe. I've even used it to remove old cellophane tape from comic covers. It usually, but not always works on those as well.

I used to put stickers on my Mylars when I collected Silver age to denote various levels of grade. All my Silver Age collection has gone now but I still have the Mylars which will fit in most GA books. The stickers won't come off clean.

Use lighter fluid (Naptha). It won't discolor or attack paper or plastic. Squirt some on, then use a knife or razor blade to slide under the sticker, then wipe. I've even used it to remove old cellophane tape from comic covers. It usually, but not always works on those as well.

Good to know, thanks (thumbs u

Good to know, thanks (thumbs u

For what it's worth, I'd just leave the mylars be (and use them on books that deserve a mylar, etc. but don't have to be spotless mylars) and then buy a fresh batch of unused ones, if a clean-presenting mylar is your goal. :)

Typical for many Northfords. My Voodoo #3 from the pedigree has the same heavy tanning issues, but a stunning cover from the front. :)