• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Phantom Stranger #1 (1952)
2 2

185 posts in this topic

I held a boardies CGC 5.5 copy of #1 in my hand in January and offered to purchase but it is not for sale. I like the book and have casually searched for one but have yet to pull the trigger for the asking price.

I held a boardies CGC 5.5 copy of #1 in my hand in January and offered to purchase but it is not for sale. I like the book and have casually searched for one but have yet to pull the trigger for the asking price.

and you can't have my copies either... :devil:

"copies" as in plural? Hoarder :baiting:

I believe the esteemed Mr. Piper owns a full run (#1-6). (thumbs u

My interest in The Phantom Stranger series before this thread = zzz

My interest in The Phantom Stranger after reading this thread = hm

I have a soft spot for obscure DC books; this is one of the best out there and I have been on the hunt for the right copy for years. No luck; they are hard to find in decent shape even when you can find them.

I have a soft spot for obscure DC books; this is one of the best out there and I have been on the hunt for the right copy for years. No luck; they are hard to find in decent shape even when you can find them.

agreed beer.gif rare, obscure, great covers.

my only PS but def has me wanting the rest

PhatomStranger_4-50-bigapple_small.jpg

agreed beer.gif rare, obscure, great covers.

my only PS but def has me wanting the rest

PhatomStranger_4-50-bigapple_small.jpg

I could use a pedigree copy... hm:tonofbricks:

I believe the esteemed Mr. Piper owns a full run (#1-6). (thumbs u

:headbang: and always looking to upgrade!

Northford

Phantom4.jpg

It's maddening. Even the pedigree copies on these comics show some wear!! I mean no dis-respect to your book which is great it is just amazing that there are so few high grade copies of this run.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Northford

Phantom4.jpg

It's maddening. Even the pedigree copies on these comics show some wear!! I mean no dis-respect to your book which is great it is just amazing that there are so few high grade copies of this run.

.....as an aside, I really feel we must change adamstrange's screen name to "JohnnyOnTheSpot".....to help explain how he has managed to be in the right place at the right time for all these years lol GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I wonder if the 9.4 copy of PS 1 on the census might be the Northford......

Edited by jimjum12

I've long found these Mysterious Narrator comic books intriguing, with their roots in similarly themed radio shows going back at least as far as the original Shadow show, when the character was the host but not participant in the radio dramas.

I've not read much of the actual stories, though I gather that The Phantom Stranger of the 1950s was a participant in his tales, as was at times Harvey's A Man in Black called Fate, wheras Timely's The Witness seems purely a narrator. I'm not sure about The Mysterious Traveler, who migrated from radio to the comics.

From those boardies more familiar with the contents of these books, I'd love to read about the differences and comparisons.