• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Phantom Stranger #1 (1952)
2 2

185 posts in this topic

In the spirit of obscure 1950's DC's, today I read the copy of Phantom Stranger #2 I picked up in San Diego this year. A great book with some fun stories. The level of writing was quite strong. It also had some ads for early issues of Our Army at War and All American Men of War. Another great DC!

...... many of what we used to call "esoteric" D.C.'s were actually quite entertaining. D.C. was definitely trying to provide a variety. I've only read PS 1 as it's the only one I have...... it's clever, but doesn't really match the tone of the cover..... and that may have alienated the readership. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Other good reads of books that I own are Real Fact Comics and Gangbusters. I have some Rex the Wonder Dogs I picked up as a kid for all of 25 cents each that I should pull out and re-read.

The level of story telling really went up in the ten years between 1940 and 1950. I have an early All Flash and Star Spangles (pre- S&K) that are all but unreadable, On the other hand the early Wonder Woman and Superman books I have read have some great stories. The art is also more consistent and has a higher level of draughtmanship. By the fifties DC had a pretty snappy house style that would endure through the latter part of the sixties then begin to morph as it rolled into the seventies.

phantomstranger5.jpg

:bump: ..... for Jimbo707 ....GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I would love to upgrade my copy as well.

This is way too low grade for Mr. Evans. Perhaps, he 'd be interested in selling his copy and I could sell my undercopy to Jimbo707. :wishluck::tonofbricks:

I know this is a year old but I was trying to find a copy of this and the thread came up. This really is a hard comic to find. I do seriously want a copy of this. Anyone know of one available at the moment?

I know this is a year old but I was trying to find a copy of this and the thread came up. This really is a hard comic to find. I do seriously want a copy of this. Anyone know of one available at the moment?

That whole run has become very, very tough. Earlier this year, the Spokane copy of PS 1 (a 9.4) went for $23,900 in a Heritage auction. If one comes up for auction, expect to pay well above guide for it.

I have noticed that the price has gone up quite steeply, always seems to happen with the comics I want!! It is a fantastic comic one of my 3 faves on my wish list with Hulk 1 and a decent raw copy of four color comics 596.

:bump:

I was checking out prices in yesterday's Heritage Auction. They had a 2, 4, and 5 for sale. Prices were very strong. Before buyers premium, I think closing prices were quadruple what I paid for similar graded copies a few years ago.

$1900+ with buyers premium for a No. 2 in CGC 6.0.... (shrug)

With the current exchange rate, I couldn't pull the trigger on an extra No. 5. Love that crazy green cover!

Edited by piper

:bump:

I was checking out prices in yesterday's Heritage Auction. They had a 2, 4, and 5 for sale. Prices were very strong. Before buyers premium, I think closing prices were quadruple what I paid for similar graded copies a few years ago.

$1900+ with buyers premium for a No. 2 in CGC 6.0.... (shrug)

With the current exchange rate, I couldn't pull the trigger on an extra No. 5. Love that crazy green cover!

At some point a gong sounded and collectors suddenly realized how cool and scarce these books are.

Both #2 and #4 closed at the same price so I'm guessing the same person won both from Heritage.

I've also noticed copies going at auctions are often going to dealers who are trying a quick turnover profit. I've seen a few end up on Ebay,etc. shortly after with $500.00-$1000.00 premiums.

I was kind of surprised that these books were in a Sunday auction. I wonder if they arrived a little too late for the last featured auction?

It is interesting that the 2 and 4 sold for the same price. I hadn't noticed that.

I purchased a copy of 4 CGC 4.5 on the boards just about a year ago for $300. Seemed like a reasonable price then, but seems like a steal now.

Of course, you never know when prices on a niche book like this may weaken.

There is certainly more interest in these books by collectors (hey, I'm one of them! :grin: ) but it's become obvious to me that some of the price increases are being driven by dealers now looking for a quick buck.

Nothing new to the hobby but it certainly seems Phantom Stranger is one of the current favorites.

One of the reasons I've been pushing to finish my Venus run too. It's not as scarce as Phantom Stranger but seems to be picking up notice more on the Everett run.

I see what you mean. The PS 3 6.5 currently on eBay is listed for $1,891.56 -- marked down from $2,866 :o . It sold in May for $1,135.

Given what the 2 and 4 sold for, though, that price doesn't seem too out of line! lol

I have a feeling, though, that the prices from Sunday's auction probably weren't driven by dealers adding to their stocks. I would think that at these prices, a dealer would only buy if he or she had a specific client in mind. Who knows, though?

Yes, it could just have been a desperate collector wanting to finish his run and slapped down a 2K figure or something on both books that pretty much guaranteed a win for each.

Not out of the question.

I'm just glad the two issues I do own are a #1 and #6 because they seem to have that most attention in the run right now. I think #6 is supposed to be the scarcest in the run of books.

It's kind of weird too to see a copy of #3 in 6.5 be listed at a $100.00 less (more if you include tax,shipping) than a copy of #4 in 5.5 when the copy of #3 is already selling for $700.00 more than it was at auction just a few months ago?

Until we start seeing copies maintain a regular 2K price tag in those grades and sell on a regular basis I'm going to take a wait and see on this auction result as any kind of new standard in pricing.

I mean is my 6.0 copy of #6 now a 3K book?

Edited by Nerv