• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Phantom Stranger #1 (1952)
2 2

185 posts in this topic

Thanks for the welcome, folks! And I like seeing those Congo Bill covers. A 1950s esoteric DC thread would be cool. What other series might be included?

Phantom Stranger

Congo Bill

Frontier Fighters

Legends of Daniel Boone

Charlie Chan

Star Spangled (Dr. 13 issues)

Sensation Mystery

Others?

Thanks for the welcome, folks! And I like seeing those Congo Bill covers. A 1950s esoteric DC thread would be cool. What other series might be included?

Phantom Stranger

Congo Bill

Frontier Fighters

Legends of Daniel Boone

Charlie Chan

Sensation Mystery

Others?

Danger Trail

It's Game Time

I have all the Phantom Strangers except for #4, which I hope to procure sometime soon. :grin:

Also working on a run of the Star Spangled Dr. 13 issues and (of course) Congo Bill. I love the "esoteric" DCs from the '50s! Sensation Mystery is another cool run, which I used to own but sold off about a decade ago. I'll probably try to collect those again once I finish with Phantom Stranger and Star Spangled.

Regarding the Phantom Strangers, I think if you can find them in the VG/F range you're doing just fine. Very hard to find high grade copies of these books.

Welcome, fellow Congo Bill collector. :hi:

CongoBill5Church.jpg

MH! :headbang:

Phantom Stranger

Congo Bill

Frontier Fighters

Legends of Daniel Boone

Charlie Chan

Sensation Mystery

Others?

Danger Trail

It's Game Time

Gang Busters

Mr. District Attorney

Rex the Wonder Dog

Phantom Stranger

Congo Bill

Frontier Fighters

Legends of Daniel Boone

Charlie Chan

Sensation Mystery

Others?

Danger Trail

It's Game Time

Gang Busters

Mr. District Attorney

Rex the Wonder Dog

Big Town

Phantom Stranger

Congo Bill

Frontier Fighters

Legends of Daniel Boone

Charlie Chan

Sensation Mystery

Others?

Danger Trail

It's Game Time

Gang Busters

Mr. District Attorney

Rex the Wonder Dog

Big Town

Miss Melody Lane of Broadway

Feature Films

Probably a few others depending on what we'd consider esoteric. 1950s DC is indeed pretty cool.

(not my comics, but... some stuff you don't see every day)

Miss_Melody_Lane_of_Broadway_Vol_1_2.jpg

Feature_Films_Magazine_Vol_1_3.jpg

Phantom Stranger

Congo Bill

Frontier Fighters

Legends of Daniel Boone

Charlie Chan

Sensation Mystery

Others?

Danger Trail

It's Game Time

Gang Busters

Mr. District Attorney

Rex the Wonder Dog

Big Town

Feature Films

Probably a few others depending on what we'd consider esoteric. 1950s DC is indeed pretty cool.

I don't think I've ever seen an issue of Feature Films. Earlier this year in Yorba Linda there was a copy of Movie Comics #1 an obscure 40's title.

I don't think I've ever seen an issue of Feature Films. Earlier this year in Yorba Linda there was a copy of Movie Comics #1 an obscure 40's title.

I often wonder how much of this kind of thing has disappeared into movie/memorabilia collections over the course of many decades, never to be seen again. In completing my Boy Commandos run recently, I was a little surprised to note that the two celeb tie-in issues from just before this era (#30, Bob Feller, #32, Dale Evans) are definitely among the lesser-seen issues of that run.

Feature_Films_Magazine_Vol_1_2.jpg

Feature_Films_Magazine_Vol_1_4.jpg

Feature_Films_Magazine_Vol_1_1.jpg

Phantom Stranger

Congo Bill

Frontier Fighters

Legends of Daniel Boone

Charlie Chan

Sensation Mystery

Others?

Danger Trail

It's Game Time

Gang Busters

Mr. District Attorney

Rex the Wonder Dog

Big Town

Feature Films

Does Ian Levine have all of these? I assume he does...

[

Yeah, I'm sure he does. Though the Miss Melody census numbers are silly low (4 copies of #1, NO copies of #2, 1 copy of #3). Looks like a very nice copy of #3 is about to close on ebay for a fair bit more than the Crippen copy went for several years ago.

I'm always surprised when I stumble across a 1950s Marvel or DC series which has some issues with zero copies in the census this far into the CGC era, but I guess I shouldn't be.

I've become skeptical of the care with which the census data are entered. Sometimes trying alternative versions of a title or even alternate spellings turns up copies. Understandable in some cases where there is confusion or disagreement over what the title is -- for instance the tangled St John Diary Secrets books -- but other times it's just carelessness on CGC's part.

[

Yeah, I'm sure he does. Though the Miss Melody census numbers are silly low (4 copies of #1, NO copies of #2, 1 copy of #3). Looks like a very nice copy of #3 is about to close on ebay for a fair bit more than the Crippen copy went for several years ago.

I'm always surprised when I stumble across a 1950s Marvel or DC series which has some issues with zero copies in the census this far into the CGC era, but I guess I shouldn't be.

Books that don't sell for much and for which there is little demand tend not to get slabbed.

[

Closed at $400. I hope the winner realized that the title of the listing was a typo and it was #3 and not #1 (as the title had it) that he won.

In the spirit of obscure 1950's DC's, today I read the copy of Phantom Stranger #2 I picked up in San Diego this year. A great book with some fun stories. The level of writing was quite strong. It also had some ads for early issues of Our Army at War and All American Men of War. Another great DC!

In the spirit of obscure 1950's DC's, today I read the copy of Phantom Stranger #2 I picked up in San Diego this year. A great book with some fun stories. The level of writing was quite strong. It also had some ads for early issues of Our Army at War and All American Men of War. Another great DC!

...... many of what we used to call "esoteric" D.C.'s were actually quite entertaining. D.C. was definitely trying to provide a variety. I've only read PS 1 as it's the only one I have...... it's clever, but doesn't really match the tone of the cover..... and that may have alienated the readership. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u