• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Phantom Stranger #1 (1952)
2 2

185 posts in this topic

Yes, if it's a few collectors driving these results, then prices can certainly be lower the next time around since the high bidder in these auctions now has a copy. So if the third highest bidder was way down there, bidder number 2 may pick up a copy much more cheaply.

Or maybe more people have begun to discover these books. If so, prices may remain elevated because they are pretty scarce.

I just looked up how many copies of each are listed on the census:

1 -- 33 copies

2 -- 20 copies

3 -- 15 copies

4 -- 17 copies

5 -- 14 copies

6 -- 15 copies

Given the high prices being realized lately, I would guess these census numbers will begin to expand.

Yes, if it's a few collectors driving these results, then prices can certainly be lower the next time around since the high bidder in these auctions now has a copy. So if the third highest bidder was way down there, bidder number 2 may pick up a copy much more cheaply.

Or maybe more people have begun to discover these books. If so, prices may remain elevated because they are pretty scarce.

1 -- 33 copies

2 -- 20 copies

3 -- 15 copies

4 -- 17 copies

5 -- 14 copies

6 -- 15 copies

Given the high prices being realized lately, I would guess these census numbers will begin to expand.

This was the only one (#3) that I ever saw on the newsstand.

<a  href=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7355/9352333932_33d6f5a345_z.jpg' alt='9352333932_33d6f5a345_z.jpg'>IMG PHANTOM STRANGER #3

mm

I think #6 is supposed to be the scarcest in the run of books.

#5 is the toughest. 6 is hard, but 5 is definitely the toughest.

?

Heritage has sold two copies of #5 in the last few months, a copy sold recently here on the boards in the sellers section and I saw two copies of #5 in San Diego this year. Superworld has a low grade for sale and I've seen at least one #5 on eBay this year.

I was targeting #6 because it's the only decent copy I found in the last two years and now you tell me #5 is going to be a problem????? :pullhair:

?

Heritage has sold two copies of #5 in the last few months, a copy sold recently here on the boards in the sellers section and I saw two copies of #5 in San Diego this year. Superworld has a low grade for sale and I've seen at least one #5 on eBay this year.

I was targeting #6 because it's the only decent copy I found in the last two years and now you tell me #5 is going to be a problem????? :pullhair:

Sorry for the bad news, but in my experience #5 has always been the toughest of the run (I've completed it twice). Other than #1 and maybe #3, none of the issues are particularly easy. But #5 is especially difficult...and impossible in high grade. The nice ones are not going to be available anytime soon.

1 -- 33 copies

2 -- 20 copies

3 -- 15 copies

4 -- 17 copies

5 -- 14 copies

6 -- 15 copies

<a  href=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7355/9352333932_33d6f5a345_z.jpg' alt='9352333932_33d6f5a345_z.jpg'>IMG PHANTOM STRANGER #3

mm

Interesting that DC wouldn't have had good distribution on these.

1 -- 33 copies

2 -- 20 copies

3 -- 15 copies

4 -- 17 copies

5 -- 14 copies

6 -- 15 copies

mm

I have graded copies of 2,4 & 6.

Were all issues represented in the Vancouver collection? Two 7.5s are the highest on the census for issue 5 and one 8.0 is the highest on the census for issue 4.

Did you mean Spokane? I don't think there are any Vancouvers.

Spokane collection contained 1 - 5.

1 -- 33 copies

2 -- 20 copies

3 -- 15 copies

4 -- 17 copies

5 -- 14 copies

6 -- 15 copies

Given the high prices being realized lately, I would guess these census numbers will begin to

expand.

p><p> Interesting that DC wouldn

My great uncle I believe was living in the Los Angeles area when he bought issues #1 thru 5 off the newstand. I know he was unable to get a #6 until a couple months later after its release. I went by that fact along with its likely lower print run due to being the last issue and Gerber's census number along with the fact it's a popular cover too.

It's his flawless original owner books that got my interest started

I think there are still many more raw copies out there that haven't been to visit CGC yet.

I can see why #5 would have also been likely low on its print run too being second to last and it also has that crazy green cover to give it a boost with collectors.

?

Sorry for the bad news, but in my experience #5 has always been the toughest of the run (I've completed it twice). Other than #1 and maybe #3, none of the issues are particularly easy. But #5 is especially difficult...and impossible in high grade. The nice ones are not going to be available anytime soon.

5 is the toughest in high-ish grade in my experience as well. 6 is especially tough to get in high-ish grade and with an attractive cover and pages.

Were all issues represented in the Vancouver collection? Two 7.5s are the highest on the census for issue 5 and one 8.0 is the highest on the census for issue 4.

Right, Spokane. doh!

Do you know if they have all been graded? Obviously the Spokane copy of issue 1 is the 9.4 that went for $24K in the HA auction.

Right, Spokane. doh!

Do you know if they have all been graded? Obviously the Spokane copy of issue 1 is the 9.4 that went for $24K in the HA auction.

1 - 3 were slabbed. I think the 4 was slabbed. The 5 has not been slabbed.

Right, Spokane. doh!

Who in the world could have the Spokane Phantom Stranger #5? hm

Right, Spokane. doh!

Not me :cry:

Right, Spokane. doh!

Not me :cry:

I figured it couldn't be since adamstrange is not in this world ... at least not all the time. :D

I've bought and sold two previous copies of #1 thinking I could buy another copy down the road, but in the last two years it seems they're dried up completely. Thankfully I'm back in the club once more with this copy, and I won't be parting with it this time.

22987283036_4ed56e5e83_b.jpg

I think #6 is supposed to be the scarcest in the run of books.

#5 is the toughest. 6 is hard, but 5 is definitely the toughest.

I've found 4 & 5 to be the toughest, with number 6 following. I'll have to scan my run and post them.