• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Phantom Stranger #1 (1952)
2 2

185 posts in this topic

Why is this series always found in mid grade or lower? Any theories?

I think this goes for most of the non-superhero DCs from the 50s. Probably because not many people collected them (or took very good care of them) through the decades.

Why is this series always found in mid grade or lower? Any theories?

I think this goes for most of the non-superhero DCs from the 50s. Probably because not many people collected them (or took very good care of them) through the decades.

Yeah, I would say a combination of low print runs, an obscure character from a period before modern fandom got rolling in the 1960s, and not a book that was particularly sought after in early fandom.

The CGC 6.0 copy is at 1100 dollars with 9 days to go on Clink. It's not a bad copy at all.... and is probably high grade for this title. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The CGC 6.0 copy is at 1100 dollars with 9 days to go on Clink. It's not a bad copy at all.... and is probably high grade for this title. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Is the 9.4 the Church copy? hm

I have all the Phantom Strangers except for #4, which I hope to procure sometime soon. :grin:

Also working on a run of the Star Spangled Dr. 13 issues and (of course) Congo Bill. I love the "esoteric" DCs from the '50s! Sensation Mystery is another cool run, which I used to own but sold off about a decade ago. I'll probably try to collect those again once I finish with Phantom Stranger and Star Spangled.

Regarding the Phantom Strangers, I think if you can find them in the VG/F range you're doing just fine. Very hard to find high grade copies of these books.

I have all the Phantom Strangers except for #4, which I hope to procure sometime soon. :grin:

Also working on a run of the Star Spangled Dr. 13 issues and (of course) Congo Bill. I love the "esoteric" DCs from the '50s! Sensation Mystery is another cool run, which I used to own but sold off about a decade ago. I'll probably try to collect those again once I finish with Phantom Stranger and Star Spangled.

Regarding the Phantom Strangers, I think if you can find them in the VG/F range you're doing just fine. Very hard to find high grade copies of these books.

Welcome to the boards CB!

My one and only Congo Bill. I really like Nick Cardy, who, of course, was a stalwart of those esoteric '50's DCs.

lf-46_zpsd806f77d.jpeg

Welcome to the boards CB!

My one and only Congo Bill. I really like Nick Cardy, who, of course, was a stalwart of those esoteric '50's DCs.

lf-46_zpsd806f77d.jpeg

Great book. I have a few myself though I can't remember off hand. That's a nice-looking 4.0 with vibrant greens. Nick Cardy is one of my favorite artists. I'll have to scan some of my Legends of Daniel Boone when I have time. Maybe this weekend.

SLR

Welcome, fellow Congo Bill collector. :hi:

CongoBill5Church.jpg