• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Black Terror vs. Killer Robot from Exciting Comics #45

52 posts in this topic

I vote BIGGER! :whee:

Agreed. I think 8" would be the perfect size for an office desk display piece. Under 4" is way too small. To me, an 8" size is a statue of value, under 4" seems like a cheap (yet cool) play toy.

I'd also suggest making it a signed & limited numbered edition (which could be done on the front edge of the base or on the bottom of the base). If you sell out of the first run you can always make a second edition. :idea:

:takeit:

Well, if there is demand for a larger statue, then I'll definitely consider it; I think scaling it up to 6" in height (like the DC Direct Batman Black and White statues) is a possibility. I still want to also release it at the smaller 1/21 scale though, so more casual collectors will be able to afford one.

Agreed. I think 8" would be the perfect size for an office desk display piece. Under 4" is way too small. To me, an 8" size is a statue of value, under 4" seems like a cheap (yet cool) play toy.

I'd also suggest making it a signed & limited numbered edition (which could be done on the front edge of the base or on the bottom of the base). If you sell out of the first run you can always make a second edition. :idea:

:takeit:

Plus you should give serious consideration to building a nice box for these as you know how collectors like to keep their stuff in the original packaging.

[font:Times New Roman]Good points, West. Of course, I'm sure that we'll be purchasing these either way, but there are advantages to both sizes for display dependent upon available space. I'd suggest an oversized signed & numbered limited edition (8") at one price-point and an unnumbered run of standard sized figurines (4") for the broader collector market.

What I'd like to see is an evolving series of GA heroes that reflects the coolest, most iconic cover or splash poses. That would be a true homage to the artists and under-appreciated characters of the GA. No easy task for sure, but we should do whatever we can to help Jared make this project profitable. As Rich pointed out, in addition to being awesome collectibles these have outstanding comic store display potential.

I'm ready to snag the Fletcher Hanks' Stardust figure as soon as it's rolled out. The Black Terror vs Killer Robot is a no-brainer too.

Everyone who loves GA comics should be lending support to Jared's project! It's a great idea that's long overdue. His sculpted treatment of the original art is first rate and an excellent booster for the GA side of the hobby.[/font] :applause:

Silver Surfer, the Black Terror figure will definitely have a high quality custom box, similar to what I've done for the upcoming Stardust figure:

9019558884_6b69d5cff6_c.jpg

To minimize the possibility of damage during shipment, the Black Terror vs. Killer Robot will probably require some minor assembly on the part of the collector - attaching the characters to the base and inserting the antenna using a bit of super glue, for example.

DavidMerryweather, thanks for the support and suggestions! There are many iconic covers and characters I'd like to do; my next subject will probably be Basil Wolverton's Spacehawk vs. a grotesque alien (not sure which one, there are so many to choose from!). However, I'm taking a break from sculpting the next couple of weeks to focus on business matters related to the arrival of the Stardust figures, so I probably won't start the sculpt till early July.

This is fantastic! I'm used to 1/6 or 1/8th inch scale pieces as I'm mainly a Bowen collector who also has a bunch of private pieces but I appreciate the aspect of keeping costs down. Please keep us updated! :D

Hi All,

I recently completed a digital sculpt of The Black Terror vs. Killer Robot, which is inspired by the cover of Exciting Comics #45:

9004068364_c7441e2ef3_o.jpg

9002890759_7ecb653c11_o.jpg

9002890357_0401b151a9_o.jpg

9002890133_f6e78d55b7_o.jpg

9004089358_f8e58dc7c7_b.jpg

As you can see, it is not a direct adaptation of the cover, but definitely retains the spirit and style of Alex Schomburg's dynamic illustration. I think it will eventually make a nice figurine and hope you like it!

Best Regards,

Jared

Looks better than the comic!

Hi All,

4096799_orig.jpg

We've set up a new survey to get a rough idea of the market size for the Black Terror vs. Killer Robot figurine, the prototype of which is in preparation. Participants will be emailed a special 5% off discount code when the figurine is put up for pre-order, hopefully by mid-December 2013. The price will be around $30, though the final price will be determined by the number produced, which will be influenced by the results of this survey. The more we make, the lower we can price it, so please share this survey with your friends. The minimum number we can produce is 150 and we need an indication that at least 120 can be sold before initiating production.

The Black Terror vs. Killer Robot is inspired by the cover to Exciting Comics #45 (March 1946) and will be a limited edition, hand painted polystone resin/white metal sculpture produced at 1/21 (Eaglemoss) scale and standing 3.84" (9.74 cm) tall. Some assembly will be required; more background and CG images of the figurine can be found here. No special color variants will likely be offered. The survey will be up at least till mid-December or until we reach the 120 threshold.

Best Regards,

Jared

Hi All,

The Original Golden Age Black Terror vs. Killer Robot figurine is finally available for pre-order from Goldenagefigurines.com:

14254591360_c583387b1d_z.jpg

This hand painted resin collectible is sculpted at 1/21 (Eaglemoss) scale and stands 3.84" (9.74 cm) tall. It is inspired by the cover to Exciting Comics #45 (March 1946), drawn by the amazing Alex Schomburg. The figurine will have a gold foil label, be individually numbered, and come in a white box with a color wrapper and a protective soft black foam interior. To avoid breakage in transit, the antenna, figurines, and base will be packaged separately, requiring a small amount of superglue to assemble. Only 175 will be produced; limit 3 per customer. We estimate that the figurines will be in stock and start shipping out by the second half of July 2014. The pre-order price is $28.99 till June 30, after which it will rise to $29.99.

14254763687_0f4f3aa771_z.jpg

14254590780_33bff6a36b_z.jpg

9004089358_f8e58dc7c7_c.jpg

We also have a Black Terror + Stardust Special, where you can save $4 when you purchase The Black Terror together with Stardust the Super Wizard (Grey Boots Edition)! Please note that Stardust will not ship until the Black Terror figurines arrive in July. This special also ends June 30, after which the price will rise to $49.98.

14468830753_7c6276e400_z.jpg

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Jared

Ordered mine yesterday! (thumbs u

Nice work, Jared. It captures the Schomburg cover quite well. :applause:

Pffft. I ordered mine three weeks ago!

:acclaim:

:gossip:Now I just need someone to sell me a nice Exciting Comics #45.

Good luck with that! lol