• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I saw Man of Steel tonight...

187 posts in this topic

i'd like to hear the reviews of a Superman comic fan...

Saw a screener tonight, and I'll just go ahead and get this out of my system: they finally did it. They finally made a good Superman movie.

The action is absolutely incredible. Like, really really good. Like, might be the best i've seen from a capes movie. Right on par with what we saw in the Avengers, if not better.The CGI is at times, beautiful. It doesn't look corny.

The plot itself was a little wonky at times for me, but it tied together really nicely toward the middle. The acting was great-- and I'm pretty sure if Amy Adams wasn't a household name already she will be. It was just a damn good superhero movie that I'm fairly positive, even hardline Christopher Reeves old school guys will love. Not posting any spoilers because, LAME, but if you have specific questions, feel free to PM.

Only negative thing I can say is that there was a lot of product integration. Some was seamless, others, it was definitely like, OK, i get it, Dodge paid for this, or X company paid for that.

Finally, the score was AWESOME. Know it's not that big of a deal, but the music is a huge pull for me and they KILLED it. Really great.

:baiting:

....and this is the review i'll be paying attention to

Most people that review movies have to justified their pointless and useless lives just as a High Schol guidance counselor does with a over the top evaluation of something they know nothing about.

Just from the first preview of this movie it became the best Superman movie of all time.

Its obviously the biggest movie of the summer as well.

I am not even a Superman fan so if I am backing this movie what do you think real fans of the character are going to do? :ohnoez:

This movie brings Superman back and is monumental for the character just as Nolan's Batman movies were to that character.

:applause:

I'm just glad you were positive about this movie, as I don't think you had a good feeling about it early on. Let's hope it brings more excitement about comic book movies. I really do want to see solid Green Lantern, Flash, Wonder Woman and JLA movies versus trash thrown out to the public just to fill space.

I think you have Man of Steel mixed up with Wolverine.

I said since I saw the first previews of both movies this:

Superman: Best superhero action movie of the year, especially summer. Will re-introduce the character to the masses in the best way possible.

Wolverine: Razzie of the year and an embarrassment to the character and fans

Not really a fan of either character, but this Superman movie is just going to be outstanding. Wolverine fans should be rioting.

Thanks for the clarification. My bad. :foryou:

I'm hoping you are off on the Wolverine movie. I've felt the trailers are not that bad. But only time (and movie release results) will tell the difference.

:wishluck:

The Godfather part 1 and 2 are the best movies of all time.

No contest

Goodfellas could take godfather Part II yes???? Cmon its Scorsese!!!!!!!!!!!

No way. Goodfellas is great, but not even close to Godfathers

yes its very close cmon

and GF part II is the same book by the same writer so its not like....

but its great no argument there....

I'm going to go on record and name the original 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars as the greatest movie ever made.

With NCFOM a distant second.

I'll go with the 1975 release of Jaws as one of the greatest movies ever made.

Now my personal nomination of greatest movie is To Kill A Mockingbird, for the personal reason of how that movie validated my inner struggle with changing social values.

*Note: I was too young during the 1962 theatrical release, but when I saw it in 1968 (I think) it affected me like nothing before.

NCFOM is second for me. Even though the nihilistic theme in the movie and novel isn't usually my cup of tea.

To Kill A Mockingbird is about as faithful an adaptation as you'll ever find and brilliant IMHO.

JAWS is about as perfect a movie as you can find in cinema.

I'm wondering if he's actually called Superman during the movie.

IIRC, they never called Catwoman by name in the new Batman movie right? ( haven't seen it ).

IIRC, they never called Catwoman by name in the new Batman movie right? ( haven't seen it ).

Good point, I don't remember them calling her Catwoman. I'll have to pay attention to that next go-around.

Good point, I don't remember them calling her Catwoman. I'll have to pay attention to that next go-around.

they don't

they don't

It's not surprising when you figure that most of the people making these movies think they're so far above the source material.

No contest

Neither movie is anywhere near my top 50. It really is in the eye of the beholder.

I prefer the previously mentioned Goodfellas to either.

Film critics always want the same type of movie over and over again. :screwy:

In the Bedroom

No Country for Old Men

Two films critically acclaimed and two films that put most people to sleep.

In The Bedroom is one of my personal Top 20 films from the previous decade. (shrug)

No Country For Old Men is pretty great too. :grin:

No contest

Neither movie is anywhere near my top 50. It really is in the eye of the beholder.

I prefer the previously mentioned Goodfellas to either.

Well, since we're "voting"... hm

Godfather is my #10 of all time... But Goodfellas is my #8! :headbang:

(Godfather Part II is just outside my top 50.)

As for Man Of Steel, I'm seeing it on Monday when it previews here for the press, but I'm not hoping for much. If it doesn't bore me too much, I'll be satisfied, considering I won't have to pay for a ticket. ;)

they don't

It's not surprising when you figure that most of the people making these movies think they're so far above the source material.

how did you come to that assumption?

they don't

how did you come to that assumption?

All you have to do is watch a lot of these movies. Costume changes, 'Inside" jokes mocking the source material, not calling the characters by name, the darkening up of the characters so as to be taken seriously, etc etc.