• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I saw Man of Steel tonight...

187 posts in this topic

I'm wondering if he's actually called Superman during the movie.

IIRC, they never called Catwoman by name in the new Batman movie right? ( haven't seen it ).

Good point, I don't remember them calling her Catwoman. I'll have to pay attention to that next go-around.

they don't

It's not surprising when you figure that most of the people making these movies think they're so far above the source material.

how did you come to that assumption?

All you have to do is watch a lot of these movies. Costume changes, 'Inside" jokes mocking the source material, not calling the characters by name, the darkening up of the characters so as to be taken seriously, etc etc.

isn't this due to trial and error of film over the years, seeing what works and what doesn't, especially costume wise and darkening up the films? I also see the "inside jokes" as homages rather than mocking

IIRC, they never called Catwoman by name in the new Batman movie right? ( haven't seen it ).

Good point, I don't remember them calling her Catwoman. I'll have to pay attention to that next go-around.

they don't

It's not surprising when you figure that most of the people making these movies think they're so far above the source material.

All you have to do is watch a lot of these movies. Costume changes, 'Inside" jokes mocking the source material, not calling the characters by name, the darkening up of the characters so as to be taken seriously, etc etc.

isn't this due to trial and error of film over the years, seeing what works and what doesn't, especially costume wise and darkening up the films? I also see the "inside jokes" as homages rather than mocking

Homages? Really? Was the "yellow spandex" comment in X-MEN a homage or a snide remark?

It's not trial and error, otherwise how do you account for Superman: The Movie and then the first Tim Burton Batman?

How do you go from the X-MEN leather biker outfits to the fairly faithful Spider-Man costume?

Read some interviews with some of the directors / producers and you'll get more insight in to their thought process.

NY Daily News review is in.

He gave it 3/5 stars.

Director Zack Snyder's updated Superman saves the day — despite spacey detour

This looks like a job for... Henry Cavill fits the suit and nails the ‘otherness’ of an alien who can’t fit in on Earth.

The serious-minded result has many super-cool moments. But when it gets clunky, it’s super-meh.

The Godfather part 1 and 2 are the best movies of all time.

No contest

Neither movie is anywhere near my top 50. It really is in the eye of the beholder.

I prefer the previously mentioned Goodfellas to either.

I agree with you it is in the eye of the beholder. These movies arent made for every person in the world so we all get to choose the ones we like.

GF and Goodfellas are winners no doubt...

they don't

Homages? Really? Was the "yellow spandex" comment in X-MEN a homage or a snide remark?

It's not trial and error, otherwise how do you account for Superman: The Movie and then the first Tim Burton Batman?

How do you go from the X-MEN leather biker outfits to the fairly faithful Spider-Man costume?

Read some interviews with some of the directors / producers and you'll get more insight in to their thought process.

i think Singer definitely thinks he's above the source material, same with Burton but some directors like Whedon and Donner i think are actual fans

No Country for old mean was one of the lamest movies of all time.

Yes the villain was okay I guess, but the movie was a total razzie.

:screwy::screwy:

Of course you liked it your an old man. :whistle:

they don't

i think Singer definitely thinks he's above the source material, same with Burton but some directors like Whedon and Donner i think are actual fans

Donner for sure. I like Whedon's work, but he has this certain style. There were a lot of Buffyism's in the Avengers movie and things like that just really take me out of the experience.

they don't

Donner for sure. I like Whedon's work, but he has this certain style. There were a lot of Buffyism's in the Avengers movie and things like that just really take me out of the experience.

i enjoyed it but i didn't have the love for it that everyone else had, good but not great (for me)

Guest Grails

No contest

Neither movie is anywhere near my top 50. It really is in the eye of the beholder.

Love the Godfathers but I'd put Once upon a time in America and Goodfellas above them.

No contest

Love the Godfathers but I'd put Once upon a time in America and Goodfellas above them.

You can't have Once Upon a Time in America without Once Upon a Time in The West. ;)

Guest Grails

No contest

You can't have Once Upon a Time in America without Once Upon a Time in The West. ;)

(thumbs u Another epic film by Leone.

Now that is an interesting summary for a movie review.

It's a thumping, gauntlet-clad fist of a movie, making its impact with brute force, then letting shockwaves reverberate through you.

Man of Steel is a thumping, gauntlet-clad fist of a movie, but needs a little lightening up, says Tim Robey

Mostly positive, though the reviewer does try to point out why some may have some concerns with the final results.

I wonder if some of the critics were expecting a Superman movie to contain some comedy because it is from a comic book.

(shrug)

Now that is an interesting summary for a movie review.

It's a thumping, gauntlet-clad fist of a movie, making its impact with brute force, then letting shockwaves reverberate through you.

Man of Steel is a thumping, gauntlet-clad fist of a movie, but needs a little lightening up, says Tim Robey

Mostly positive, though the reviewer does try to point out why some may have some concerns with the final results.

I wonder if some of the critics were expecting a Superman movie to contain some comedy because it is from a comic book.

(shrug)

Comic book movies are not supposed to be serious - didn't you know that?

I'm going to go on record and name the original 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars as the greatest movie ever made.

With NCFOM a distant second.

I'm honestly not sure if this is sarcastic or serious.

You can't really think Star Wars is the best movie of all time?

Can you?

hm

I'm going to go on record and name the original 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars as the greatest movie ever made.

Can you?

hm

It's pretty damn close. The original unaltered one from 77

Can you?

hm

Yes, I remember it well :cloud9:

Can you?

hm

i never thought Star Wars held up very well at all