• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I saw Man of Steel tonight...

187 posts in this topic

I'm going to go on record and name the original 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars as the greatest movie ever made.

With NCFOM a distant second.

I'm honestly not sure if this is sarcastic or serious.

You can't really think Star Wars is the best movie of all time?

Can you?

hm

It's pretty damn close. The original unaltered one from 77

i never thought Star Wars held up very well at all

It's the impact it had when it first screened that I mean, not how it's held up over time.

I'm going to go on record and name the original 1977 theatrical release of Star Wars as the greatest movie ever made.

Can you?

hm

It's the impact it had when it first screened that I mean, not how it's held up over time.

i wasn't born

Can you?

hm

I love the movie, but it's near impossible to say any one movie is "the best ever". As I've grown older I cannot even name my favorite movie, which I could easily do when I was 10 :)

Can you?

hm

i wasn't born

I find this exchange really funny lol

I love the movie, but it's near impossible to say any one movie is "the best ever". As I've grown older I cannot even name my favorite movie, which I could easily do when I was 10 :)

b-but you went on record

b-but you went on record

I was being sarcastic. Not because I don't love Star Wars, but I was semi mocking another boardie who seems to always speak in absolutes and has to qualify and quantify everything.

Can you?

hm

i wasn't born

I figured as much. You really had to be there :preach:

Can you?

hm

i wasn't born

I figured as much. You really had to be there :preach:

I was there...and it's by far the best one of the series IMHO.

I realize that the old fogies like me will remember the past :preach:

But SW was ground-breaking on a level never seen before.

My jaw dropped when that Imperial Cruiser came into the screen in the opening scene, and never stopped coming and coming :o

Sure, technology today blows it away. But for the time it was pretty amazing.

I think Avatar is the closest comparison in current times.

Can you?

hm

Good thing we all have different opinions.

;)

-slym

Can you?

hm

That holds water, IMHO. I have seen "Citizen Kane" and cannot understand how it is considered the best movie ever - but when it was first released? Sure, possibly.

-slym

Can you?

hm

That holds water, IMHO. I have seen "Citizen Kane" and cannot understand how it is considered the best movie ever - but when it was first released? Sure, possibly.

-slym

Planet of the Apes is another one I can honestly say, completely changed the game when it came out.

And in this case, the original is FAR better in EVERY way to the remakes.

But I'm just an old fart, just let me carry on. :blahblah:

My jaw dropped when that Imperial Cruiser came into the screen in the opening scene, and never stopped coming and coming :o

Yep. SW blew every other sci-fi movie out of the water and redefined and reignited the genre.

Afterwards came the Star Trek movie, Battlestar Galatica, Aliens, and a bunch of other stuff.

What holds up in Star Wars is the incredible cinematography and pacing which at that time was completely innovative. Steven Spielberg told Lucas at the time that he was moving the action along too fast for people to keep up, but later he admitted he was partially wrong about that in a major way. Certainly the pacing that Lucas helped establish for that film changed the nature of blockbuster filmmaking forever. Even today the montage in that film is just incredibly exciting to watch. :popcorn:

Planet of the Apes is another one I can honestly say, completely changed the game when it came out.

And in this case, the original is FAR better in EVERY way to the remakes.

But I'm just an old fart, just let me carry on. :blahblah:

When you watch the Planet of the Apes "making of" DVD that comes with the five DVD set, they talk about the history of the franchise. It was stated a few times as the movies got more successful, the budgets got smaller. I guess the studio so all the money that could be made if they spent less - so they reduced the investment in costumes and special effects. They even show some of the cheap Halloween masks that were used by the later films.

But the first movie will always be high on my list of great movies. :cloud9:

In the Bedroom

No Country for Old Men

Two films critically acclaimed and two films that put most people to sleep.

I LOVED No Country for Old Men :sumo:

87 MRQE metric.

84% audience RT

8.2 user rating IMBD

doesn't sound like it put most people to sleep (shrug)

It was decent, but Javier Bardem was spectacular in it. I rank his performance as Anton Chigurh as the third-best villain performance of all time behind Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter and Heath Ledger as the Joker. :applause:

check out robert mitchum in the original cape fear. no makeup, no cannabilistic tendencies, just smilingly sinister as spoon. wonderful baddie.

check out robert mitchum in the original cape fear. no makeup, no cannabilistic tendencies, just smilingly sinister as spoon. wonderful baddie.

Great baddie.

Love and hate tattooed on his fingers. Scary.

It was decent, but Javier Bardem was spectacular in it. I rank his performance as Anton Chigurh as the third-best villain performance of all time behind Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter and Heath Ledger as the Joker. :applause:

Thanks, I'll try to do that. My villain list is mostly limited to films I've seen during my lifetime, and I'm 42, so I know I'm missing a bunch. The American Film Institute created a top 100 list of heroes and villains in 2003 and put Hopkins's Lecter at the top of their list. Mitchum's Max Cady from the original "Cape Fear" is #28 on their list. Their top two heroes are great picks -- Gregory Peck's Atticus Finch and Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones. :applause:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI's_100_Years...100_Heroes_%26_Villains

Can you?

hm

-slym

Citizen Kane was not considered one of the best movies ever made when it came out in 1941. It didn't gain that status until the late 1960s, when it became the darling of film studies students.

Can you?

hm

No.

It really isn't close at all.