• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I saw Man of Steel tonight...

187 posts in this topic

Saw a screener tonight, and I'll just go ahead and get this out of my system: they finally did it. They finally made a good Superman movie.

The action is absolutely incredible. Like, really really good. Like, might be the best i've seen from a capes movie. Right on par with what we saw in the Avengers, if not better.The CGI is at times, beautiful. It doesn't look corny.

The plot itself was a little wonky at times for me, but it tied together really nicely toward the middle. The acting was great-- and I'm pretty sure if Amy Adams wasn't a household name already she will be. It was just a damn good superhero movie that I'm fairly positive, even hardline Christopher Reeves old school guys will love. Not posting any spoilers because, LAME, but if you have specific questions, feel free to PM.

Only negative thing I can say is that there was a lot of product integration. Some was seamless, others, it was definitely like, OK, i get it, Dodge paid for this, or X company paid for that.

Finally, the score was AWESOME. Know it's not that big of a deal, but the music is a huge pull for me and they KILLED it. Really great.

:whee:

If this movie sucks, you're going right up to the top of my CAL list. :sumo:

I will say that I think given the fact that this will most likely be a trilogy that leads into the inevitable JL movie, I'm perplexed as to who they'll bring in for future villains.

Lex.

Just go ahead and put him on there--you're not going to like it. Or am I just attempting to use reverse psychology on you? hm

Just go ahead and put him on there--you're not going to like it. Or am I just attempting to use reverse psychology on you? hm

the first wave of "professional" reviews are in and they are decidedly mediocre :cry:

the first wave of "professional" reviews are in and they are decidedly mediocre :cry:

Snyder.

Now I'm deciding if it is worth it to see this movie in 3D. I've never been a huge fan of the 3D effects because most I saw were just as good as seeing it in 2D. I don't want to spend the extra $ just to see it on 3D unless it can make a big difference.

I could take or leave 3D--I mostly prefer to leave it. Avatar is the only film I've seen where it was worth it. I do strongly prefer IMAX though, and in my area we've only got one IMAX screen and they usually display movies on it in 3D if the film has that as an option.

In reading most of the negative reviews that have been released so far, I will never for the life of me understand people reviewing comic-book movie summer blockbusters when they hate both comic-book movies and summer blockbusters. That seemed to be the overlying theme of every negative review.

Peace,

Chip

In reading most of the negative reviews that have been released so far, I will never for the life of me understand people reviewing comic-book movie summer blockbusters when they hate both comic-book movies and summer blockbusters. That seemed to be the overlying theme of every negative review.

Because it's their job. What they can review even if they're not fans of the genre are the strengths of the directing, acting, screenplay, cinematography, music, and sets, and as has been the case with all of Snyders film's, he's getting picked apart on the elements of film. It's useful to know those things so that people who aren't fans of the genre won't go in expecting a great film with characters they're likely to care about, so in the case of most of us, this might not be one you'd take your girlfriend to unless she's a fangirl. Sounds like this one's mostly action and fanfare--and that's totally fine by me. :banana:

Now I'm deciding if it is worth it to see this movie in 3D. I've never been a huge fan of the 3D effects because most I saw were just as good as seeing it in 2D. I don't want to spend the extra $ just to see it on 3D unless it can make a big difference.

Ditto that (thumbs u It has to be a movie that is enhanced greatly by the 3D, like Avatar as you mention.

Can't wait to see this one. I remember seeing the 1st one with my fiancé (now my wife) and thoroughly enjoying it back then.

This will be like deja vu all over again. :insane:

Because it's their job.

Half of the 165+ reviews for every movie are from "Someone with a blog."

It's not everyone's job. :D

Rotten Tomatoes, MRQE, and MetaCritic don't simply list reviews from just anyone with a blog. Here are the qualifications that Rotten Tomatoes uses to select reviewers to include within their meta-reviews, and I've included the pertinent qualifications below. I enjoy talking about films and movie reviews are something I could do, but I couldn't meet any of the criteria below without either quitting my day job or devoting huge chunks of my free time to the task.

Movie reviews in the Tomatometer come from publications or individual critics that have been selected by the Rotten Tomatoes staff. The criteria for inclusion for both publications and critics are separated across three divisions; print, broadcast, and online, each with its own criteria for Tomatometer inclusion.

SOURCE APPROVAL

Print publications must achieve and maintain status as one of the following:

- A top 100 daily US newspaper

- A top 100 weekly US newspaper

- A top 100 magazine

- A top 10 entertainment-based publication

Sources used to determine national publication ranks include the Audit Bureau of Circulations, The Magazine Publishers of America, and the Association of Alternative Weeklies. Applications for international publications will be made on a case-by-case basis, with input from local Rotten Tomatoes editors when applicable.

Broadcast outlets must achieve and maintain status as a national TV or radio outlet (either via syndication or network broadcast) for Tomatometer consideration. Alternatively, a TV outlet must be broadcasting in one of the top ten DMAs, as listed by Nielsen Ratings. Radio outlets must be broadcasting in one of the top five DMAs, as listed by Arbitron. In almost all cases, an outlet's individual reviews must be available online, either as a segment transcript or an alternate, written review.

Online publications must achieve and maintain a minimum 500,000 unique monthly visitors according to comScore, Inc or Nielsen Net Ratings and reviews must have an average length of at least 300 words. Publications must also show a consistent standard of professionalism, writing quality, and editorial integrity across all reviews and articles. Lastly, site design and layout should also reflect a reasonable level of quality and must have a domain name specific to the property.

For all outlets, reviews should be readable within a standard browser; reviews that require users to download additional software or browser plugins (ie PDFs) are strongly discouraged. Applications for international outlets will be made on a case-by-case basis, with input from local Rotten Tomatoes editors when applicable.

CRITICS APPROVAL

Print critics must be currently employed as a film critic at a Tomatometer-approved publication for a minimum of two calendar years to be considered for individual approval.

Broadcast critics must be currently employed as a film critic at a Tomatometer-approved outlet for a minimum of two calendar years to be considered for individual approval.

Online critics must have published no less than 100 reviews across two calendar years at a single, Tomatometer-approved publication, and all reviews should have an average length of at least 300 words to be considered for individual approval.

VIDEO CRITICS

For critics who are primarily publishing their reviews on video, inclusion on the Tomatometer is dependent on meeting the following criteria:

Video critics must submit a resume outlining their qualifications to review films (include examples of web or print reviews, film-related jobs, etc).

Video reviews must be embedded on a website or blog separate from a video hosting site like YouTube or Vimeo, and written transcripts of the reviews must be included with each video entry.

Critics must be able to demonstrate a consistent level of professionalism and insight in both their reviews and in the production of their videos.

Video critics must have at least 20,000 subscribers on a video hosting site.

In all cases applicants should have two years' worth of published reviews available online, and all applicants must be able to demonstrate that their reviews have editorial oversight.

In some cases, critics that are publishing reviews on a Tomatometer-approved outlet and have membership in select critics associations may be considered for individual approval. However, membership in a critics association does not guarantee approval.

Most people that review movies have to justified their pointless and useless lives just as a High Schol guidance counselor does with a over the top evaluation of something they know nothing about.

Just from the first preview of this movie it became the best Superman movie of all time.

Its obviously the biggest movie of the summer as well.

I am not even a Superman fan so if I am backing this movie what do you think real fans of the character are going to do? :ohnoez:

This movie brings Superman back and is monumental for the character just as Nolan's Batman movies were to that character.

Most people that review movies have to justified their pointless and useless lives just as a High Schol guidance counselor does with a over the top evaluation of something they know nothing about.

Just from the first preview of this movie it became the best Superman movie of all time.

I am not even a Superman fan so if I am backing this movie what do you think real fans of the character are going to do? :ohnoez:

This movie brings Superman back and is monumental for the character just as Nolan's Batman movies were to that character.

Did you just blanket-emasculate a majority of movie critics due to a minority of them giving "Man of Steel" negative reviews while simultaneously backing a movie you haven't even seen yet all in the same post? :o

All that's missing from the thrust of your post are a skimpy outfit and a pair of pom-poms. :banana:

cardinals-cheerleader-ABOO9122.jpg

That's normally a good sign. :D

Did you just blanket-emasculate a majority of movie critics due to a minority of them giving "Man of Steel" negative reviews while simultaneously backing a movie you haven't even seen yet all in the same post? :o

All that's missing from the thrust of your post are a skimpy outfit and a pair of pom-poms. :banana:

cardinals-cheerleader-ABOO9122.jpg

(thumbs u

Obvious things you can always assume my friend.

Film critics always want the same type of movie over and over again. :screwy:

In the Bedroom

No Country for Old Men

Two films critically acclaimed and two films that put most people to sleep.