• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Movie

187 posts in this topic

It was the best Supe movie since the Reeves one in the 1970s. Expanded alien concepts, technology, and Zod had a wicked cool female villain (shorter version of the 70s female villain--forgot her name). It does not stack up to the marvel franchise films or the DK trilogy but its very good for a supe movie long overdue. Detailed origin of baby supe and plenty of early scenes on Krypton was nice.

I disagree that it doesn't rival the marvel pictures although I'm not a huge fan of hollywood and their take on my memories. I enjoyed it completely in the comic book sense. Good backstory, action packed, just enough romance and character development for me. The marvel franchise for me is droning and basically has me waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen. I took very little away from The Avengers other than the Hulk thrashing Loki. I hope marvel takes note and tries their hand at a more science fiction/comic book centered film ala The Infinity Gauntlet.

I think my main problems with Marvel is that I have deep seated ideas and memories of what I experienced as a child reading those books, and the movies never seem to capture that same feel. I was never a fan of Superman as a kid because of the insipid stupidness of dc in that era, so Man of Steel just seemed like a killer modern graphic novel adaption of the Superman story. Plus, and this is the most important aspect, my grand-daughter gave it a 9 out of 10!

b/w the avengers and im 3, marvel has 2 films in the all-time top 5 box office, worldwide. I don't imagine they're noting much w the supe flick.

I imagine Perry Como didn't see Elvis Presley as much of a threat to the big band either.

Are you saying Marvel is the stodgy old entertainer for the grown-ups and DC is the exciting new way for the kids to rock? That just doesn't compute at all.

Just saw it...

Enjoyed the heck out of it. Great cast, cool visuals, noisy, and lots of neat shots of stuff blowing up and folks in tight suits slapping each other around.

It's everything I look for in a movie experience. Seriously. And Zod's girl Friday is kind of hot.

Great review.

I also really liked the non-linear structure. It kept the focus on what makes Kal human.

And then having Clark meet Lois at the Daily Planet at the very end was a stroke of genius.

The perfect ending.

It was the best Supe movie since the Reeves one in the 1970s. Expanded alien concepts, technology, and Zod had a wicked cool female villain (shorter version of the 70s female villain--forgot her name). It does not stack up to the marvel franchise films or the DK trilogy but its very good for a supe movie long overdue. Detailed origin of baby supe and plenty of early scenes on Krypton was nice.

I disagree that it doesn't rival the marvel pictures although I'm not a huge fan of hollywood and their take on my memories. I enjoyed it completely in the comic book sense. Good backstory, action packed, just enough romance and character development for me. The marvel franchise for me is droning and basically has me waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen. I took very little away from The Avengers other than the Hulk thrashing Loki. I hope marvel takes note and tries their hand at a more science fiction/comic book centered film ala The Infinity Gauntlet.

I think my main problems with Marvel is that I have deep seated ideas and memories of what I experienced as a child reading those books, and the movies never seem to capture that same feel. I was never a fan of Superman as a kid because of the insipid stupidness of dc in that era, so Man of Steel just seemed like a killer modern graphic novel adaption of the Superman story. Plus, and this is the most important aspect, my grand-daughter gave it a 9 out of 10!

b/w the avengers and im 3, marvel has 2 films in the all-time top 5 box office, worldwide. I don't imagine they're noting much w the supe flick.

I imagine Perry Como didn't see Elvis Presley as much of a threat to the big band either.

elvis who?

Are you saying Marvel is the stodgy old entertainer for the grown-ups and DC is the exciting new way for the kids to rock? That just doesn't compute at all.

Naw, just trying to fight my way out of a box. :flamed:

Naw, just trying to fight my way out of a box. :flamed:

T'aint gonna happen unless Billy and Ricky letcha. Believe me I know! Don't worry about it - stick to your guns! With respect I actually think you've got it a bit backwards - Thor and Loki are much less Po-faced in the movies than in the comics for example - there is always that subtext of self mockery which is a saving grace. Whereas the Superman franchise has always been a little too portentous for my taste, even with the new one, though far less so this time around thank goodness. Far more about what it is to be human, than what it is to be a god. But could still have done with a mite more humor.

I didn't track Marvel as far as reading the Infinity Gauntlet, but it was Thanos, right? So what word on Avengers #2? Anybody?

I think everybody will agree, much better than the last reboot by a mile. I thought the casting was exceptional in this version. Well worth the money to buy a ticket.

Much better than I had hoped for. I would give it a 8.5 out of 10, maybe a soft 9.

But what I like the most, is that is has created a framework for JLA and other DC characters, Yea the marvel stuff is really good, I liked IM3 just as much as Man of Steel but its good for GA collectors to have as much out there as possible.

It is great to go to the movies and get happily surprised.

I just saw it. It has its flaws (memo to Zack Snyder: tripods are very effective to keep cameras still) but a very enjoyable, well-cast film that sets up sequels and JLA nicely. It might have a "Prometheus" effect on me in which, while seeing it for the first time, I notice flaws or things that could have been done better, but then I eventually watch it 5 to 10 times in the months that follow, getting hooked on each scene and the overall experience.

Since this thread is in the GA forum, a few GA-related observations from the film:

1. I loved the sequence where he is learning to "fly" by leaping. Straight from the late 30s-take on Superman.

2. The "S" on his chest seems inspired from the early-40s version. Take a look at Action 29, 40 and 50.

3. The sequence with Zod in his all-black tights (and no cape) fighting the red-and-blue, cape-donning Superman exhibited a nice contrast in contemporary comic villain threads versus 75-year-old super hero threads. While watching it, I thought how Superman -- even with the cape -- is iconic and visually stands the test of time.

4. A lot of time spent regarding Krypton, its doom, putting the baby in the spaceship, etc. A story that has survived three generations of time and continues today to have strong appeal.

I actually cant wait to hear from Jon, who started this thread after all. When was the last time you went into court and said, "Ugh!" and the judge let you stop there Jon?

Okay, I was actually bored by some of the scenes that went on forever. I thought the movie was overwelhmed by special effects. Three people in the show I went to left.

I thought the best exchanges were between Clark and Jonathan.

I also have this thing about a guy getting bashed through 30 buildings and have it blow up but his hair is in perfect order and he has no soot on his face. Trivial I know. I thought Lois in the old alien ship with Clark was contrived. I guess I should be less of an old fogey and engage in a little more "willing suspension of disbelief".

Sorry, it just did not do it for me. Glad others were real happy with it. The non-comic folks were hopefully entertained based on its opening week-end totals. I find it great when the non-believers get a glimpse of our world........jon

Jon. If I were you I would be so disgusted with WB that I would sell me all your Centaurs to make you feel better :idea:

lol Gator. If I were you I would just be disgusted.

[font:Impact]Awesome movie! [/font]

[font:Century Gothic]Even better second time around.

Not quite understanding the mixed love/hate reviews. [/font]

[font:Book Antiqua]First super hero flick in a long time

that wasn't simply hiding behind sarcastic one liners.[/font]

-Michael

superman.jpg