• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Movie

187 posts in this topic

The good :applause:

It's a Superman movie.

New twist on an old character can bring life back to it.

The bad (tsk)

It seemed a little drawn out at the end.

Lois was miscast.

No character developement.

Too much CGI at times.

The ugly. :sick:

Too much shaking from the camera man, even in parts of calm. Kinda gave me a headache at times.

Overall grade B-/C+

I liked how Russell Crowe/Jor-el kept popping up, and how his relationship with Gen. Zod was expanded upon. Female villian was nasty enough. Shows us how far special FX have advanced since Superman II with Terence Stamp as "kneel before Zod."

Liked how they introduced Lex Corp. in the trucking background. Don't remember seeing any hints of Bruce Wayne Industries though.

For the next Nolan directed Superman, I expect Lois/Amy Adams to cheerfully open up a can of Coke Zero and product :P place the corp. logo in the center of the screen.

It was the best Supe movie since the Reeves one in the 1970s. Expanded alien concepts, technology, and Zod had a wicked cool female villain (shorter version of the 70s female villain--forgot her name). It does not stack up to the marvel franchise films or the DK trilogy but its very good for a supe movie long overdue. Detailed origin of baby supe and plenty of early scenes on Krypton was nice.

It was the best Supe movie since the Reeves one in the 1970s. Expanded alien concepts, technology, and Zod had a wicked cool female villain (shorter version of the 70s female villain--forgot her name). It does not stack up to the marvel franchise films or the DK trilogy but its very good for a supe movie long overdue. Detailed origin of baby supe and plenty of early scenes on Krypton was nice.

I disagree that it doesn't rival the marvel pictures although I'm not a huge fan of hollywood and their take on my memories. I enjoyed it completely in the comic book sense. Good backstory, action packed, just enough romance and character development for me. The marvel franchise for me is droning and basically has me waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen. I took very little away from The Avengers other than the Hulk thrashing Loki. I hope marvel takes note and tries their hand at a more science fiction/comic book centered film ala The Infinity Gauntlet.

I think my main problems with Marvel is that I have deep seated ideas and memories of what I experienced as a child reading those books, and the movies never seem to capture that same feel. I was never a fan of Superman as a kid because of the insipid stupidness of dc in that era, so Man of Steel just seemed like a killer modern graphic novel adaption of the Superman story. Plus, and this is the most important aspect, my grand-daughter gave it a 9 out of 10!

Just saw it...

Enjoyed the heck out of it. Great cast, cool visuals, noisy, and lots of neat shots of stuff blowing up and folks in tight suits slapping each other around.

It's everything I look for in a movie experience. Seriously. And Zod's girl Friday is kind of hot.

Just saw it...

Enjoyed the heck out of it. Great cast, cool visuals, noisy, and lots of neat shots of stuff blowing up and folks in tight suits slapping each other around.

It's everything I look for in a movie experience. Seriously. And Zod's girl Friday is kind of hot.

A neat appraisal.

I disagree that it doesn't rival the marvel pictures although I'm not a huge fan of hollywood and their take on my memories. I enjoyed it completely in the comic book sense. Good backstory, action packed, just enough romance and character development for me. The marvel franchise for me is droning and basically has me waiting, waiting, waiting for something to happen. I took very little away from The Avengers other than the Hulk thrashing Loki. I hope marvel takes note and tries their hand at a more science fiction/comic book centered film ala The Infinity Gauntlet.

I think my main problems with Marvel is that I have deep seated ideas and memories of what I experienced as a child reading those books, and the movies never seem to capture that same feel. I was never a fan of Superman as a kid because of the insipid stupidness of dc in that era, so Man of Steel just seemed like a killer modern graphic novel adaption of the Superman story. Plus, and this is the most important aspect, my grand-daughter gave it a 9 out of 10!

Curious, when was your era of "insipid stupidness?" I'm guessing the mid 1960's? There were a few good tales in the early sixties then it seemed to be a dry era until the early seventies. I remember mostly enjoying the reprints in that era.

I liked how Russell Crowe/Jor-el kept popping up, and how his relationship with Gen. Zod was expanded upon. Female villian was nasty enough. Shows us how far special FX have advanced since Superman II with Terence Stamp as "kneel before Zod."

Liked how they introduced Lex Corp. in the trucking background. Don't remember seeing any hints of Bruce Wayne Industries though.

For the next Nolan directed Superman, I expect Lois/Amy Adams to cheerfully open up a can of Coke Zero and product :P place the corp. logo in the center of the screen.

Wayne Corp was on the blown-up satellite.

Curious, when was your era of "insipid stupidness?" I'm guessing the mid 1960's? There were a few good tales in the early sixties then it seemed to be a dry era until the early seventies. I remember mostly enjoying the reprints in that era.

Exactly, born in 57, so I hit my prime comic reading in about 65-70. I kind of grew up with the emergence of Marvel as a tour de force in comics. Don't get me wrong, I love the genre completely, and even appreciate the quirkiness of the 60's dc comics in retrospect, but I guess I'm reacting to all the people who are queing up to belittle a movie that millions of people are going to enjoy, and that's going to expose new generations to the most iconic character in the history of comics.

The good :applause:

It's a Superman movie.

New twist on an old character can bring life back to it.

The bad (tsk)

It seemed a little drawn out at the end.

Lois was miscast.

No character developement.

Too much CGI at times.

The ugly. :sick:

Too much shaking from the camera man, even in parts of calm. Kinda gave me a headache at times.

Overall grade B-/C+

Character(s) backstories were nonexistent

Some of the camera work made me a little nauseous at times.

I would have liked to see Jennifer Connelly as Lois.

Nonetheless - great job on breathing new life into a mishandled franchise.

Just saw it...

A neat appraisal.

I took both your reviews more seriously than a lot of the others. I can't believe that I haven't seen the movie yet, but a busy weekend has conspired against me.

b/w the avengers and im 3, marvel has 2 films in the all-time top 5 box office, worldwide. I don't imagine they're noting much w the supe flick.

b/w the avengers and im 3, marvel has 2 films in the all-time top 5 box office, worldwide. I don't imagine they're noting much w the supe flick.

I imagine Perry Como didn't see Elvis Presley as much of a threat to the big band either.

Just saw it...

A neat appraisal.

I took both your reviews more seriously than a lot of the others. I can't believe that I haven't seen the movie yet, but a busy weekend has conspired against me.

Jeff, change your avatar to batman until you see the movie lol:makepoint: