• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Movie

187 posts in this topic

I think Man of Steel was THE BEST superhero movie I've ever seen. The material was handled with respect and, unlike the Avengers, the wisecracks were kept at a minimum. Unlike Green Lantern, there were no dead spots in this movie. The first scene of Superman flying reminded me of the Fleischer cartoons which I'm sure was intentional. The uncanny resemblance between Henry Cavill and Christopher Reeves connects the Reeves films in a way with the new one. A big 5 thumbs up!

:hi:

Gosh(and I do mean gosh), I think I disagree with every single point in your review. :hi:

Me too.

So that I don't seem like a biased DC guy, Iron Man is one of my top ten favorite SH movies of all time. LOVED that movie.

IM 3 was pedestrian im comparison to IM 1, and boring compared to MOS.

yeah, me three. Merry, it seems like youre out to go strongly against the grain here. I personally liked the flashbacks technique because I desperately did not want a by the note, here we go again, origin story! After the first 20 minutes of fistfights etc on Krypton, when we see the ship crashing into Kansas I expected 20 more minute of Clark growing up.. and was thrilled that they cut away to the future when they did.

This film was fine. And to WB a huge success opening the door to more film franchises, if they can keep the quality this high. After the last Superman and GL, this to was an unexpected accomplishment.

Given the limits of todays 250 million dollar budget summer superhero blockbuster effects vehicles, Man of Steel delivered big time.

I think Man of Steel was THE BEST superhero movie I've ever seen. The material was handled with respect and, unlike the Avengers, the wisecracks were kept at a minimum. Unlike Green Lantern, there were no dead spots in this movie. The first scene of Superman flying reminded me of the Fleischer cartoons which I'm sure was intentional. The uncanny resemblance between Henry Cavill and Christopher Reeves connects the Reeves films in a way with the new one. A big 5 thumbs up!

[font:Times New Roman]Everyone's entitled to their opinion whether it's factually accurate or not and FWIW, I'm glad you enjoyed it. (thumbs u

Wisecracking characters are not uncommon in Marvel comics. We'll just have to agree to disagree on whether Joss Whedon was respectful of the original source material for the Avengers.

Neither my wife nor I liked MoS and we both were looking forward to seeing it. From what I could tell most of the audience at our showing seemed genuinely bored. Was it a fluke? Perhaps. Bad toppings on our pizzas? Who knows! (shrug)

To be fair, I've never been a big fan of the Christopher Reeves Superman films either, so maybe I'm a bit biased, but I love the Fleischer cartoons and 50's George Reeves TV series (1st season).[/font]

Gosh(and I do mean gosh), I think I disagree with every single point in your review. :hi:

[font:Times New Roman]That's why I'm trying to avoid debating the film's merits. :foryou:

Having seen MoS I'm having difficulty understanding why anyone loves it. (shrug) ..... hm

[/font]

Because it's a damn good movie. :popcorn:

[font:Times New Roman]Prove it![/font] popcorncatavatar.gif

Marvel movies have for the most part been entertaining, but have never once affected me emotionally. MOS did. That's how I measure a film's quality.

[font:Times New Roman]Well, you got me there. I did manage to shed a tear or two for MoS the next time I opened my wallet.[/font] hm

Screenwriting rule #324: If you can make women in the audience cry, you've got a hit. If you can make the men cry, you've got a blockbuster.

[font:Times New Roman]I think we cried for different reasons.[/font] smiley-doh.gif

Me too.

So that I don't seem like a biased DC guy, Iron Man is one of my top ten favorite SH movies of all time. LOVED that movie.

IM 3 was pedestrian im comparison to IM 1, and boring compared to MOS.

[font:Times New Roman]Bill, you're a fair minded guy. I thought IM1 & IM3 were both outstanding, but IM2 was awful, which just goes to show that everyone comes away from a movie with different impressions. I rarely agree with a consensus of movie critics, but on MoS my critical mass was reached. Sorry about the meltdown.[/font] :sorry:

[font:Times New Roman]

Merryweather rating for the Man of Rust: smiley-score002.gif (...and I'm being generous!)

'Nuff said. [/font]

Eight out of ten crawfish gave Man of Steel two big claws up!

Merryweather rating for the Man of Rust: smiley-score002.gif (...and I'm being generous!)

'Nuff said. [/font]

But were they living, dead, or gently simmering at the time they were asked?

[font:Times New Roman]That's why I'm trying to avoid debating the film's merits. :foryou:

Having seen MoS I'm having difficulty understanding why anyone loves it. (shrug) ..... hm

[/font]

Marvel movies have for the most part been entertaining, but have never once affected me emotionally. MOS did. That's how I measure a film's quality.

Where Marvel differs from DC is they have many more interesting characters that can be translated into good fun movies, while DC really so far has only had two great classic characters to pin their hopes on.

Superman and Batman have had the best movies to affect us emotionally with the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy and now Man of Steel.

The next big question for DC is what other hero besides Batman and Superman do they have that will make the transition to the movies and mainstream successfully?

That has been an ongoing question for years.

[/font]

Where Marvel differs from DC is they have many more interesting characters that can be translated into good fun movies, while DC really so far has only had two great classic characters to pin their hopes on.

Superman and Batman have had the best movies to affect us emotionally with the Nolan Dark Knight trilogy and now Man of Steel.

The next big question for DC is what other hero besides Batman and Superman do they have that will make the transition to the movies and mainstream successfully?

That has been an ongoing question for years.

I think The Flash could work as movie with humour in the Marvel "way".

As long as the -script & story is better then Green Lantern.

Wonder Woman would be my pick would appeal to both sex and she is as well known as Superman and Batman if someone could do it right.That's the big question!

Wonder Woman would be my pick would appeal to both sex and she is as well known as Superman and Batman if someone could do it right.That's the big question!

How they did the Thor movie is how I would do Wonder Woman. I think it could work, starting off with her being at the top of her game and spending the start in... where she's from lol then moving it to present day Earth etc.

I enjoyed the movie overall, but I still have the nagging feeling some things could have been better, more smoothed out etc. I give it a B+ overall, and I plan on seeing it a second time while it's still in theaters. I thought the battle with Zod was too drawn out, the action almost became desensitizing. After awhile, you just wanted it done and over. :grin:

Im in no real hurry to sit thru IM3. Except for Downey, its just more explosions and noise

I knew there was a reason I could not quite put my finger on as to why I loved the movie so much--it was because man of steel had so few explosions, and so little noise.

The movie I'd like to see would be based on Alan Moore's take on Miracleman.

I was reminded of the destruction of London by Kid Miracleman in Miracleman #15 by the city-wide battle between Superman and Zod in Man of Steel, and the fact that neither seemed concerned about the fate of the people caught up in their wake.

Im in no real hurry to sit thru IM3. Except for Downey, its just more explosions and noise

I knew there was a reason I could not quite put my finger on as to why I loved the movie so much--it was because man of steel had so few explosions, and so little noise.

[font:Times New Roman] If you ever decide to change your moniker again, my polling data suggests Tony Snark would be a good candidate. No iron man competitions required, you already have a lock on that designation.[/font] :grin:

the city-wide battle between Superman and Zod in Man of Steel, and the fact that neither seemed concerned about the fate of the people caught up in their wake.

There's been a lot of talk about that. From my perspective, if aliens showed up and threatened mass destruction if a mysterious "alien among us" didn't surrender to them, I just might take the next day off of work. In my mind, those tumbling buildings were empty.

'Nuff said. [/font]

But were they living, dead, or gently simmering at the time they were asked?

[font:Times New Roman]Alas, they were brain-dead, but everyone admired their good taste.[/font] (thumbs u

the city-wide battle between Superman and Zod in Man of Steel, and the fact that neither seemed concerned about the fate of the people caught up in their wake.

There's been a lot of talk about that. From my perspective, if aliens showed up and threatened mass destruction if a mysterious "alien among us" didn't surrender to them, I just might take the next day off of work. In my mind, those tumbling buildings were empty.

but when you took the day off, you would likely stay at home. The streets were pretty full of people when I saw the movie. and I don't think that widespread carnage occurring while the super-beings fought is any problem-in fact, I liked it.

Mine too Jeff, though it seems there is no way to be sure. Then there are scenes where Perry and co are running through the streets, with buildings seemingly collapsing on other pedestrians just out of shot. So one's general sense is of human beings' individual fates being insignificant on the scale of these vast god like powers. We know also that Kal is concerned about people because he says "Get indoors, it isn't safe", during the first battle in Smallville. But he also causes a service station's destruction when he engages with other combatants. Of course, how can he avoid it?

So I think there are ambiguities, not carefully wrought messages. Whereas in Miracleman, the character of Kid Miracleman is so corrupted by his power that he has no inhibitions on its usage, and for the first time in comics we clearly see the destructive potential actualised, and it is clear that ir is Moore's intention to show us -

- that true evil is the absence of conscience.