• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Movie

187 posts in this topic

As an interesting aside while we are comparing films; last week I started to watch Avengers again on Netflix. I never finished this second viewing and don't know if I will. I really enjoyed that movie in the theater but on second viewing I wasn't so thrilled. It will be curious how a second viewing of MOS will hold up. I suspect much better.

I also recently watched the last Batman movie with Bane. While I wasn't so e armored of this film at the theater I actually found the second viewing better. Not sure why.

for sure, that avengers flick is a tough one to watch.

Smart azz. Wonderful fim. One of the top 10 Superhero movies for sure. And I know you feel the same way

i do, except i go with top 3, with dk and spidey 2 also on that top tier.

That's more like it.

I'd be hard pressed to nail down my top 3, let alone top 10, as I would surely make a mistake and forget something

But in rough order of magnitude..

Dark Knight

Batman Begins

Spidey 2

Iron Man

Avengers

X-Men First Class

X-Men 2

X-men

Thor

Superman 1

As an interesting aside while we are comparing films; last week I started to watch Avengers again on Netflix. I never finished this second viewing and don't know if I will. I really enjoyed that movie in the theater but on second viewing I wasn't so thrilled. It will be curious how a second viewing of MOS will hold up. I suspect much better.

I also recently watched the last Batman movie with Bane. While I wasn't so e armored of this film at the theater I actually found the second viewing better. Not sure why.

[font:Times New Roman]I've watched the Avengers several times in theaters (including the UK, before it opened in the US) and numerous times on BD at home. Besides being a fun film to entertain friends and family it's a great home theater demo disc.

Just speaking for myself, I think Joss's work holds up quite well on repeated viewings, but everyone's mileage varies.

Anything rented on Netflix usually looks unwatchable to me, but I prefer viewing films projected on a 120" screen. Personally, I think films like the Avengers are more enjoyable as an immersion experience. The smaller the screen the greater the diminishing return.

Alas, MoS did me in the first time I watched it in the theater. I wanted it to be so much better than my expectations, which were intentionally kept low. BTW, most of the filmgoing folks I know outside the CGC community have been luke warm to the reboot, but that isn't intended as a persuasive argument for or against.

FTR, I liked the first two Dark Knight movies, but didn't care much for the last one if that means anything.[/font] (shrug)

I'm with you on The Avengers. I also tried watching it again recently on Netflix. I fell asleep and stopped it midway. It was pretty boring. And I was rather psyched for it in the theater.

[font:Times New Roman]I think Netflix has a Sominex algorithm embedded in their service. It works especially well on big-budget FX films displayed over anything under a 65" screen.[/font] lol

Why is it that Clark as a child found it morally OK to save a busload of kids in spite of being admonished by his step-father not expose his powers, but as he grew older and more protective of his secret identity he became relatively indifferent towards his fellow man?

The above sentence crystallizes why your take on the movie has met such resistance. If Clark were "indifferent to his fellow man", he'd join Zod and destroy humanity while creating New Krypton. He spends the entire movie fighting for his fellow man. You don't see that because you wanted scenes of Supes saving cats from trees for little girls.

[font:Times New Roman]That's just it, I'm not concerned about resistance to my POV because I'm not trying to persuade anyone. Folks can believe whatever they like, enjoy or dismiss the film for whatever reasons and I'm totally happy for them.

I'll leave the bully pulpit to MoS, I'm not interested in converting folks. (thumbs u

As for Supe's humanity, I already knew that this superman was incapable of saving cats from trees for little girls as he couldn't even be bothered to save the family dog or his step-dad.

As for fighting for his fellow man, the mental image of collateral damage from collapsing skyscrapers only added to the ick-factor for me. [/font] (shrug)

Why aren't you concerned about the innocent bystander death toll in The Avengers, which would have been significant, and is suffered by a real American city?

Numerous films have depicted events that would have resulted in massive casualties in major American cities, everything from giant robots to alien invasions to tidal waves. This is the first one I can think of that's been criticized for deaths not even depicted on screen.

Smart azz. Wonderful fim. One of the top 10 Superhero movies for sure. And I know you feel the same way

That's more like it.

I'd be hard pressed to nail down my top 3, let alone top 10, as I would surely make a mistake and forget something

Dark Knight

Batman Begins

Spidey 2

Iron Man

Avengers

X-Men First Class

X-Men 2

X-men

Thor

Superman 1

While I love Superman 1, I cringe every time Otis and Miss Tessmacher appear on screen. Luthor in the comics would never have surrounded himself with bumbling insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

[font:Times New Roman]I've watched the Avengers several times in theaters (including the UK, before it opened in the US) and numerous times on BD at home. Besides being a fun film to entertain friends and family it's a great home theater demo disc.

Just speaking for myself, I think Joss's work holds up quite well on repeated viewings, but everyone's mileage varies.

Anything rented on Netflix usually looks unwatchable to me, but I prefer viewing films projected on a 120" screen. Personally, I think films like the Avengers are more enjoyable as an immersion experience. The smaller the screen the greater the diminishing return.

Alas, MoS did me in the first time I watched it in the theater. I wanted it to be so much better than my expectations, which were intentionally kept low. BTW, most of the filmgoing folks I know outside the CGC community have been luke warm to the reboot, but that isn't intended as a persuasive argument for or against.

FTR, I liked the first two Dark Knight movies, but didn't care much for the last one if that means anything.[/font] (shrug)

I'm with you on The Avengers. I also tried watching it again recently on Netflix. I fell asleep and stopped it midway. It was pretty boring. And I was rather psyched for it in the theater.

[font:Times New Roman]I think Netflix has a Sominex algorithm embedded in their service. It works especially well on big-budget FX films displayed over anything under a 65" screen.[/font] lol

Why is it that Clark as a child found it morally OK to save a busload of kids in spite of being admonished by his step-father not expose his powers, but as he grew older and more protective of his secret identity he became relatively indifferent towards his fellow man?

The above sentence crystallizes why your take on the movie has met such resistance. If Clark were "indifferent to his fellow man", he'd join Zod and destroy humanity while creating New Krypton. He spends the entire movie fighting for his fellow man. You don't see that because you wanted scenes of Supes saving cats from trees for little girls.

[font:Times New Roman]That's just it, I'm not concerned about resistance to my POV because I'm not trying to persuade anyone. Folks can believe whatever they like, enjoy or dismiss the film for whatever reasons and I'm totally happy for them.

I'll leave the bully pulpit to MoS, I'm not interested in converting folks. (thumbs u

As for Supe's humanity, I already knew that this superman was incapable of saving cats from trees for little girls as he couldn't even be bothered to save the family dog or his step-dad.

As for fighting for his fellow man, the mental image of collateral damage from collapsing skyscrapers only added to the ick-factor for me. [/font] (shrug)

Why aren't you concerned about the innocent bystander death toll in The Avengers, which would have been significant, and is suffered by a real American city?

Numerous films have depicted events that would have resulted in massive casualties in major American cities, everything from giant robots to alien invasions to tidal waves. This is the first one I can think of that's been criticized for deaths not even depicted on screen.

The big difference (to me at least) was you saw the Avengers taking lumps in their attempts to save those innocent civilians.

[font:Times New Roman]I was concerned, as were the characters as portrayed on the screen, and the use of frequent street level close-ups of the mayhem more effectively conveyed the human impact of the devastation.

The Avengers were doing everything they could to stop the mayhem and there was actual compassionate interaction between the characters and the endangered public.

Conversely, in MoS, the humans were treated as collateral damage to the fight between the principals (mostly kept out of sight & out of mind). The visual depiction of realistically collapsing buildings via mid-range shots desensitizes the audience to the personal suffering at ground level and inside the buildings.

Sorry, I really tried to like this reboot, but found MoS to be a humorless, humanity-starved exercise in cynical filmmaking/marketing with little to recommend it. Nevertheless, I'm glad you enjoyed it.[/font] :foryou:

Just putting in my two cents:

I loved this movie. I'm generally not a Superman fan, but I enjoyed it a great deal. Watching Clark deal with his powers as he grew up, and his relationship with friends and his dad really hit me. I spent the first half of the movie crying. lol

[font:Times New Roman]Appreciate your 2c

Of all the posturing by manly men here I'm actually more interested in impressions of MoS from those of the female persuasion. My wife, who likes most superhero films, disliked MoS even more strongly than your's truly (hard to imagine, huh?). One of the things she pointed out that I'd initially overlooked in my criticism was the sophomoric depiction of a female army officer's "He's Hot!" comment near the end of the film.

Women in the military are under a lot of pressure and public scrutiny. Given recent reports of abuse and charges of unprofessional behavior this scripted depiction of vapidness in a female officer seems outrageously insensitive.

It certainly didn't come across as clever or funny. I was left wondering, what were they thinking?[/font] :facepalm:

Got a big laugh both times I saw it, from men and women.

[font:Times New Roman]I barely noticed that line at the time, but my wife certainly did, and no one laughed out loud in our audience except during Pa Kent's overblown death scene. (shrug)

Here is another, even harsher POV (than mine) on the role of women in Man of Steel...

http://beamesonfilm.blogspot.com/2013/06/men-of-steel-sexism-and-new-superman.html [/font]

That's more like it.

Dark Knight

Batman Begins

Spidey 2

Iron Man

Avengers

X-Men First Class

X-Men 2

X-men

Thor

Superman 1

While I love Superman 1, I cringe every time Otis and Miss Tessmacher appear on screen. Luthor in the comics would never have surrounded himself with bumbling insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

I hear you and struggled about putting it on the list, but I tried to make the list from the perspective of how I felt when I first saw the film. Using that as a basis, i loved it when I first saw it and actually liked Miss Tssmacher and Ned Beatty. I got some belly laughs from those scenes. I used to torment one of my admins years ago by calling her from my office in Gene Hackman's voice "Miss Tessmaaaaacher!"

lol

lol

[font:Times New Roman]You must've missed my response to this. Here, allow me to relieve your uncontrollable titillation...[/font]

Indeed - it was a joke, a throw-away line.

[font:Times New Roman]That line couldn't be thrown far enough for me. It left a BAD impression and neither my wife nor I found it amusing. Business women are treated badly enough in films like this without service-women being made to appear unprofessional. Lois asking where she could tinkle made her appear less professional. The female officer's remark was inappropriate and unfunny.

This cringeworthy aspect of the film has already been addressed in General, I think you know that. [/font] hm

i was just happy that in our doma-dominated times, it wasn't a male soldier delivering the line.

i was just happy that in our doma-dominated times, it wasn't a male soldier delivering the line.

[font:Times New Roman]Wow! Given the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell that line would've been both clever and funny with her male superior officer delivering it! lol

I think you may have missed your calling as a ScriptDoctor! [/font] :baiting:

you laugh now at the thought! (and it would be a great joke) but it would be #1 on your huge list of things you hated about the movie if they went that way (no pun intended)

she could have said it, and he could then smile and say "riiighht?"

you laugh now at the thought! (and it would be a great joke) but it would be #1 on your huge list of things you hated about the movie if they went that way (no pun intended)

she could have said it, and he could then smile and say "riiighht?"

[font:Times New Roman]You have that backasswards. If he'd said it, her agreement would've been OK since it comes across as less unprofessional not originating from a female subordinate.

N'cest-ce pas?[/font] (thumbs u