• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Movie

187 posts in this topic

oh please already.

:hi: [font:Times New Roman]I think the word you were looking for was appease. [/font] ;)

they are different movies. we get it, you hated it. cool! But comparing scenes from one pic to another isnt going to change any minds, or prove anything other than the writers all finally chose to not write a super heroic scene like they did for a powerless Cap. How about when Steve Rogers saves a busload of kids? or an oil rig? oh year wrong film. and its an unfair comparison because Supes has superpowers and wouldnt have been in any danger like Rogers was.. but whatever.

[font:Times New Roman]Already said that I probably won't change any minds, but I can't remain mum or blindly pay homage to a movie that I consider severely flawed. Sorry, but the comparisons I'm making are entirely valid.

Why is it that Clark as a child found it morally OK to save a busload of kids in spite of being admonished by his step-father not expose his powers, but as he grew older and more protective of his secret identity he became relatively indifferent towards his fellow man?

Alas, your point about Steve Rogers makes my point. Steve was willing to sacrifice all. Clark had nothing to lose and was afraid of risking anything. (shrug) [/font]

Clark Kent, also on the cusp of manhood, in order to protect his secret identity resisted the impulse to save his own step-father, not to mention taking his good time arriving at that decision. Logically, one must assume that when the tornado hit the overpass (a scene undoubtably left on the cutting room floor) the folks he'd blindly led to unsafe refuge conveniently died a horrible death in order to maintain the illusion of his secret identity. After all, they're only collateral damage, just like the multitude of unseen folks in collapsing Metropolis office buildings (again, all the gruesome stuff happening off screen).

Truth, Justice and the American way? Not so much.

SUPERMAN, the Man Of Steel! ...Really? [/size][/font]

[font:Times New Roman]So, who's the real hero here? You be the judge.[/font]

Of course it's fair to criticize the film, but it's ridiculously unfair to compare a scene that actually occured in the Cap film to one absent from MOS. There is no indication that anyone under the overpass was injured, much less killed. How can you imagine that to be a fair comparison?

The wife saw MOS today. Oh yea, I went with her.

She loved the film. Thought it should have score in the high eighties on rotten Tomatoes. In addition she thought it would be the #1 all time grossing film with a RT rating under 60.

She said that the movie shouldn't be compared to the Marvel films. Marvel strove for light, amusing, action movies. After an unsuccessful Superman reboot in 2006 DC wasn't looking for a Superman movie that bordered on cartoonish or even a corny film. They weren't even going to replicate the humor from the Batman trilogy. Instead they played it safe adding a bit of sci fi / star Wars while trying to give an insight into who/why Superman is who he is. He has dilemma's and is not the all powerful being we all thought he is.

We remembered how the Avengers fought their foes right there on 40street on the overpass near GCS.

I forgot.... with all the action did any buildings get destroyed? We discussed how the destruction from the Superman movie hit home after remembering the destruction from 9/11. It looked real. Perhaps movies shouldn't emulate real life? It was harsh but upon reflection despite the fact it was disturbing, it played well.

My wife noticed the religious parallels throughout MOS. I wondered if the critics were subliminally turned off by any similarities. On the other hand, I suspect that TWX knew exactly what they were doing and hoping to bring in an audience around the country who might see the film if their pastor makes references to the movie?

Overall, my wife loved the film and said she could nitpik about parts and thus wouldn't score the film in the 90's.

With that said, she thought the film should be measured against itself as it was not trying to copy other comic movies.

I was a bit surprised to see the theater quite full on a Sunday Afternoon on the third weekend.

After seeing the RT ratings and with all the new offerings I thought the film would be appearing on DVD's by now. I'm glad she dragged me to this film. In my opinion this was by far the best Superman movie ever made and IMO ranks very highly with other Comic book movies. I'm glad she dragged me to see this offering.

I have never watched a movie 3 times at the theaters but MOS was that good for me. In fact I have not seen a movie twice since Saving Private Ryan.

You watched it 3 times and I didn't get a single invite! :cry:

:foryou:

oh please already.

:hi: [font:Times New Roman]Thank you, and you're welcome.[/font] ;)

they are different movies. we get it, you hated it. cool! But comparing scenes from one pic to another isnt going to change any minds, or prove anything other than the writers all finally chose to not write a super heroic scene like they did for a powerless Cap. How about when Steve Rogers saves a busload of kids? or an oil rig? oh year wrong film. and its an unfair comparison because Supes has superpowers and wouldnt have been in any danger like Rogers was.. but whatever.

[font:Times New Roman]Already said that I probably won't change any minds, but I can't remain mum or blindly pay homage to a movie that I consider severely flawed. Sorry, but the comparisons I'm making are entirely valid.

Why is it that Clark as a child found it morally OK to save a busload of kids in spite of being admonished by his step-father not expose his powers, but as he grew older and more protective of his secret identity he became relatively indifferent towards his fellow man?

Alas, your point about Steve Rogers makes my point. Steve was willing to sacrifice all. Clark had nothing to lose and was afraid of risking anything. (shrug) [/font]

The more important point is that the whole diving-on-a-grenade-to-save-your-buddies routine is beyond played out. Holy uncreative movie making! It doesn't tell me anything about Steve Rogers beyond the fact that he's a cookie cutter character, written by people who had 3/4 of an eye on The Avengers and were just killing time.

As an interesting aside while we are comparing films; last week I started to watch Avengers again on Netflix. I never finished this second viewing and don't know if I will. I really enjoyed that movie in the theater but on second viewing I wasn't so thrilled. It will be curious how a second viewing of MOS will hold up. I suspect much better.

I also recently watched the last Batman movie with Bane. While I wasn't so e armored of this film at the theater I actually found the second viewing better. Not sure why.

As an interesting aside while we are comparing films; last week I started to watch Avengers again on Netflix. I never finished this second viewing and don't know if I will. I really enjoyed that movie in the theater but on second viewing I wasn't so thrilled. It will be curious how a second viewing of MOS will hold up. I suspect much better.

I also recently watched the last Batman movie with Bane. While I wasn't so e armored of this film at the theater I actually found the second viewing better. Not sure why.

I'm with you on The Avengers. I also tried watching it again recently on Netflix. I fell asleep and stopped it midway. It was pretty boring. And I was rather psyched for it in the theater.

The above sentence crystallizes why your take on the movie has met such resistance. If Clark were "indifferent to his fellow man", he'd join Zod and destroy humanity while creating New Krypton. He spends the entire movie fighting for his fellow man. You don't see that because you wanted scenes of Supes saving cats from trees for little girls.

[font:Times New Roman]I've watched the Avengers several times in theaters (including the UK, before it opened in the US) and numerous times on BD at home. Besides being a fun film to entertain friends and family it's a great home theater demo disc.

Just speaking for myself, I think Joss's work holds up quite well on repeated viewings, but everyone's mileage varies.

Anything rented on Netflix usually looks unwatchable to me, but I prefer viewing films projected on a 120" screen. Personally, I think films like the Avengers are more enjoyable as an immersion experience. The smaller the screen the greater the diminishing return.

Alas, MoS did me in the first time I watched it in the theater. I wanted it to be so much better than my expectations, which were intentionally kept low. BTW, most of the filmgoing folks I know outside the CGC community have been luke warm to the reboot, but that isn't intended as a persuasive argument for or against.

FTR, I liked the first two Dark Knight movies, but didn't care much for the last one if that means anything.[/font] (shrug)

I'm with you on The Avengers. I also tried watching it again recently on Netflix. I fell asleep and stopped it midway. It was pretty boring. And I was rather psyched for it in the theater.

[font:Times New Roman]I think Netflix has a Sominex algorithm embedded in their service. It works especially well on big-budget FX films displayed over anything under a 65" screen.[/font] lol

The above sentence crystallizes why your take on the movie has met such resistance. If Clark were "indifferent to his fellow man", he'd join Zod and destroy humanity while creating New Krypton. He spends the entire movie fighting for his fellow man. You don't see that because you wanted scenes of Supes saving cats from trees for little girls.

[font:Times New Roman]That's just it, I'm not concerned about resistance to my POV because I'm not trying to persuade anyone. Folks can believe whatever they like, enjoy or dismiss the film for whatever reasons and I'm totally happy for them.

I'll leave the bully pulpit to MoS, I'm not interested in converting folks. (thumbs u

As for Supe's humanity, I already knew that this superman was incapable of saving cats from trees for little girls as he couldn't even be bothered to save the family dog or his step-dad.

As for fighting for his fellow man, the mental image of collateral damage from collapsing skyscrapers only added to the ick-factor for me. [/font] (shrug)

for sure, that avengers flick is a tough one to watch.

Smart azz. Wonderful fim. One of the top 10 Superhero movies for sure. And I know you feel the same way

Smart azz. Wonderful fim. One of the top 10 Superhero movies for sure. And I know you feel the same way

[font:Times New Roman]Straw-Man may be playing devil's advocate, ...it's that lawyer thing of being able to wear two hats at the same time. (shrug)

I've heard Billy is the guy who famously defended a chimpanzee for using Scope mouthwash, which is apparently against the law in most Southern states. :gossip:

I have no idea how that one came out, but as much monkeying around as we do here, he's the first guy I'd call in a jam! (thumbs u [/font]

Just putting in my two cents:

I loved this movie. I'm generally not a Superman fan, but I enjoyed it a great deal. Watching Clark deal with his powers as he grew up, and his relationship with friends and his dad really hit me. I spent the first half of the movie crying. lol

i do, except i go with top 3, with dk and spidey 2 also on that top tier.

Thirty years ago we would be arguing about who had better comics; now it's about who has the better films! Something to be happy about; not that comic fans can be happy about much for long.

(thumbs u