• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

Yes, you're under attack. meh

:signofftopic:

You can use flowery language but I can't?

Give me a break.

Concede your point and take your Metamucil before Charlie tucks you into a king-size bed you share his other three grand-parents.

Yes, you're under attack. meh

As for the comics you listed, I know I couldn't fetch any more today for my copy of Avengers #1 that sold nearly 3 years ago.

AF15 and Hulk 1 have been great books from an investment perspective over the past several years. For the rest of 2013? Anybody's guess.

Check your facts...

Avengers 1 - 5.0 GPA Sales

2010 - lo $1,186 and hi $1,750

2011 - lo $1,554 and hi $1,850

2012 - lo $1,685 and hi $3,884

2013 - lo $1,775 and hi $3,023

trends.png

I sold a 7.5. US Securities are up over 60% in that time frame. How has Avengers #1 in 7.5 fared? It hasn't increased in value appreciably since 2009.

I can cherrypick a single comic in a single grade, too, but it won't show anything other than desperation.

I sold a 7.5. US Securities are up over 60% in that time frame. How has Avengers #1 in 7.5 fared?

I can cherrypick a single comic in a single grade, too, but it won't show anything other than desperation.

Fine, ignore the data and stick to your guns. There are plenty other examples and you know it.

Congrats on the bond, glad it paid out more than Avengers 1. Not sure the relevance, but (thumbs u

Now, now... :slapfight:lol

You guys need to talk more about x-men 4. A 9.0 wp just went for a record $2337. And a 4.0 Stan Lee SS went for $675. That book isn't just warming, it's boiling.

Is it? I see the last 9.0 white pager sold two years ago for $1900. A good gain, but one that dramatically underperformed the stock market over the same time period.

It's really more fun to discuss comics as cool collectibles than as investments, don't you think?

X-Men #4.

I bought a 4.0 and just sat on it.

I was going to upgrade and didn't...what a dummy.

1st Quicksilver,Scarlet Witch,Toad, brotherhood of Evil mutants and 2nd Magneto.

Yeah, like that's worth upgrading..... doh!

I sold a 7.5. US Securities are up over 60% in that time frame. How has Avengers #1 in 7.5 fared?

Fine, ignore the data and stick to your guns. There are plenty other examples and you know it.

Congrats on the bond, glad it paid out more than Avengers 1. Not sure the relevance, but (thumbs u

On the contrary, I provided data showing that high grade Avengers #1 have not appreciated over the past 3 years.

Since the subject of the thread is comic books as investments, the relative performance of US stocks and comics over comparable time frames is quite relevant, as it's worthwhile to consider any investment option relative to others that may be more profitable. As for your comment on bonds, I don't know what you're talking about.

On the contrary, I provided data showing that high grade Avengers #1 have not appreciated over the past 3 years.

Since the subject of the thread is comic books as investments, the relative performance of US stocks and comics over comparable time frames is quite relevant, as it's worthwhile to consider any investment option relative to others that may be more profitable. As for your comment on bonds, I don't know what you're talking about.

You made a statement, you did not provide data.

US Securities are typically bonds.

Sure comparison to a better investment is valid if that was the point of the discussion. However arbitrarily bringing them up out of context is not.

I love to look at those high grade big mega keys,but the nose bleed prices are not appreciating at a high rate.The real appreciation are in the mid grade big keys,the majority of people can't afford those high priced big keys.So they are jumping on the mid grade train,and it's showing with huge gains.

I love to look at those high grade big mega keys,but the nose bleed prices are not appreciating at a high rate.The real appreciation are in the mid grade big keys,the majority of people can't afford those high priced big keys.So they are jumping on the mid grade train,and it's showing with huge gains.

Makes sense. 6.0 is the new 9.0!

I would take the statement a step further and argue that the last remaining affordable grades in some of the Mega keys are low-grade books (3.5 and below) and those will see solid increases in value at a rate faster than all grades over the next 5 years.

Anyone feel otherwise?

Makes sense. 6.0 is the new 9.0!

I would take the statement a step further and argue that the last remaining affordable grades in some of the Mega keys are low-grade books (3.5 and below) and those will see solid increases in value at a rate faster than all grades over the next 5 years.

Anyone feel otherwise?

I agree. (thumbs u

And as far as "scarce" goes, we are talking about a silver age book. Most silver books are not scarce

To sum it up: you are arguing that a non-rare, non-key, non-GPA book is going to increase quickly in value? I should just take your word (and the words of die hard fans who own the book)?

You must be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Nice, especially for a newbie.

Most silver age books that are not scarce are not increasing markedly in value.

Rare books are often precisely the ones that increase markedly in value, and it's not a question of taking anyone's word for it, but following the sales data, just over a time period longer than someone with a short attention span can handle.

If the last GPA recorded sale of a scarce in high grade comic is for a tiny fraction of what a copy currently on the market would sell for, then that's an issue appreciating dramatically in value.

Your focus on recent past performance as an index of future gains is a market strategy that any savvy investor will tell you is full of fail. Look closely at what's on the market right at this moment and you'll see examples why. Strange Tales 135? Peaked over a year ago. Near mint copies priced like it's 2011 have been sitting in E-Bay stores for a long time without selling. Strange Tales 111? It's been over two years since demand has exceeded supply for high grade copies. Same for FF 5.

On the other hand, if you want a copy of ST Annual #2 in 9.2 or better, the only copies currently being offered on the open market have asking prices 2-3 times the last GPA-recorded sale price. Time will tell whether any copies actually sell for way above their most recent sale price, but all it takes is one motivated buyer and short supply to raise a thinly traded market.

Perhaps all you really care about is 'investing' based on movie hype.

No offense to rfoiii at all, but I couldn't have said this better if I wanted to. Speculation at its finest.

This is exactly what worries me about my generation. Don't worry though as those closets full of comic books, toys, video games, and pop culture related collectibles are 'investments.' We have our retirement and future all figured out...and yes, I am being sarcastic. Except for the fact that most of these items were made in the high hundreds of thousands if not millions (mostly runs of millions at a time).

Ironically, I heard an excellent sales strategy for selling a common as day 90's comic book at a recent flea market I was at. The seller was selling a standard first issue of Spider-man from the 90's. The book was ungraded and in close to near mint condition; bagged and boarded. The price was $75! When a would be buyer asked the seller why the price was so high, the seller stated it was 'rare.' Confused the potential buyer asked how do you figure as this a common 90's book with a high print run. I have to give the seller credit though as he simply answered, 'What do you mean? It was only produced for less than a single month!' Dumbfounded the potential buyer walked away. I couldn't stop laughing for ten minutes. Welcome to new way of doing business in the collectibles market. The seller must have gained his knowledge from reality television, but I have to give him credit for coming up with a new way of marketing 90's drek. :facepalm:

Summary

Someone says - movie books are a good investment :headbang:

Someone says - Strange Tales Annual 2 is undervalued :gossip:

Someone else says- I think are other books too hm

OP responds with- over reactions, condescension, hyper sensitivity, vitreole, :sumo:

dialogue shut down :flamed:

Repeat

Oh and the books that have brought me the greatest rate of return in this hobby don't have GPA sales in the 90 day average and many don't have 12 month average sales. Even without GPA, I can tell these are good investments because the stack of dollars when I sold them is taller than the stack of dollars when I bought them. :insane:

Summary

Someone says - movie books are a good investment :headbang:

Someone says - Strange Tales Annual 2 is undervalued :gossip:

Someone else says- I think are other books too hm

OP responds with- over reactions, condescension, hyper sensitivity, vitreole, :sumo:

dialogue shut down :flamed:

Repeat

Oh and the books that have brought me the greatest rate of return in this hobby don't have GPA sales in the 90 day average and many don't have 12 month average sales. Even without GPA, I can tell these are good investments because the stack of dollars when I sold them is taller than the stack of dollars when I bought them. :insane:

That is a dramatization. I am asking for people to back up their opinions with details and data. It isn't my fault that people are making arguments and justifying them with personal opinions and then passing that off as concrete evidence or data. I can't help that people are frustrated that I don't just fall over backwards on their word.

On a side note, I am sure you have made profits from other books that are not tracked in GPA. I am sure your "stacks of money" are very impressive and the sound of your colorful language soothes you to sleep in your money bin at night. I never said that you couldn't make money a million ways to Sunday without GPA - never once. All I have stated is that claiming you have made money or claiming that something does or does not have value isn't reliable just because you say so.

I do not and others should not take people at their word that something is going to increase unless they have something other than their opinion to back it up. I don't know you and for all I know you are just trying to push your opinions in attempt to sell books on the forum. Or, you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Or you are a genius and have no ulterior motives.

Everything else is discussion based on opinion in which I am entitled to mine as well.

For the record I am not a jerk, I just am a vigorous debater and have a healthy helping of skepticism. There are far meaner, far more aggressive, far more insulting and far more detached from reality posting on this forum. I get it if you don't like my approach or my opinions, but I would rather you engage in the discussion instead of posting a judgement on my style. Join the discussion and have some fun!