• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

I decided to look at some GPA data in a different way for some of the titles we've discussed in the thread.

Here's a list of all GPA recorded sales of particular titles from 2 years ago as compared to the last 12 months. I think you can see a few trends, and certainly a "hotness" factor starts to emerge.

This list has nothing to do with prices realized, or price trends, it's purely a list of copies sold.

Title..................2011 total copies sold.................(last 12 months total copies sold)

AF 15........................124.....................................161 (always HOT)

ST 110.......................35.......................................60 (almost double, HOT comic!)

ST 111.......................7..........................................9 ( is anyone even looking)

ST 115.......................28........................................35 (trending upward)

TTA 27........................38.......................................52 (trending upward)

TTA 35.........................29.......................................39 (trending up)

FF 52............................47......................................88 (almost double, HOT comic)

FF 53...........................30.......................................43 (trending up)

DD 1............................133.....................................194 (surprisingly HOT)

AV 1.............................158.....................................203 (HOT)

AV 4.............................151.....................................195 (HOT)

TOS 39.........................84........................................94 (up, but kind of flat)

X 1................................158......................................205 (HOT)

JIM 83............................89......................................68 (THOR went down in sales????)

Showcase 22..................63.......................................53 (cooling off)

Strange Tales Annual 2.... 20......................................15 (cooling off & no one's looking)

To me this shows from a "trending" standpoint, the hottest of these comics is ST 110 & FF 52. I thought TTA 27 & 35 would have higher numbers but maybe they're simply too rare and don't come up much.

Biggest surprise on this list was JIM 83. It's trending downward. What does that mean??? There's a Thor movie coming out this fall, this comic should be hot, right?

Also, I think this list shows that nobody gives a hoot right now about ST 111 & ST Annual 2 (might be a good time to buy?)

Interesting research, thanks.

I decided to look at some GPA data in a different way for some of the titles we've discussed in the thread.

Here's a list of all GPA recorded sales of particular titles from 2 years ago as compared to the last 12 months. I think you can see a few trends, and certainly a "hotness" factor starts to emerge.

This list has nothing to do with prices realized, or price trends, it's purely a list of copies sold.

Title..................2011 total copies sold.................(last 12 months total copies sold)

AF 15........................124.....................................161 (always HOT)

ST 110.......................35.......................................60 (almost double, HOT comic!)

ST 111.......................7..........................................9 ( is anyone even looking)

ST 115.......................28........................................35 (trending upward)

TTA 27........................38.......................................52 (trending upward)

TTA 35.........................29.......................................39 (trending up)

FF 52............................47......................................88 (almost double, HOT comic)

FF 53...........................30.......................................43 (trending up)

DD 1............................133.....................................194 (surprisingly HOT)

AV 1.............................158.....................................203 (HOT)

AV 4.............................151.....................................195 (HOT)

TOS 39.........................84........................................94 (up, but kind of flat)

X 1................................158......................................205 (HOT)

JIM 83............................89......................................68 (THOR went down in sales????)

Showcase 22..................63.......................................53 (cooling off)

Strange Tales Annual 2.... 20......................................15 (cooling off & no one's looking)

To me this shows from a "trending" standpoint, the hottest of these comics is ST 110 & FF 52. I thought TTA 27 & 35 would have higher numbers but maybe they're simply too rare and don't come up much.

Biggest surprise on this list was JIM 83. It's trending downward. What does that mean??? There's a Thor movie coming out this fall, this comic should be hot, right?

Also, I think this list shows that nobody gives a hoot right now about ST 111 & ST Annual 2 (might be a good time to buy?)

It's an interesting data driven example but it doesn't necessarily equate to a higher ROI. The "trending" standpoint as you've put it, is simply in the number of sales and there are 2 key pieces of data missing for each - the purchase price and sale price of each of the aforementioned. To me those data points show a lot of buyers chasing rather than investing - and at the same time, they are also books that can be monetized quickest (and that's always the best aspect).

For me, as of lately, the "go" factors are key, characters, condition and lastly pedigree. The most important though is can I monetize this if I need to.

I agree with everything you say. I simply thought it would be interesting to see some stats on actual numbers of slab sales. When you add these numbers into everything you mention, it gives you even more knowledge to make smart investments.

I'm glad you did - the data you've mentioned to is of great importance - it helps frame the decision making process.

It's an interesting data driven example but it doesn't necessarily equate to a higher ROI. The "trending" standpoint as you've put it, is simply in the number of sales and there are 2 key pieces of data missing for each - the purchase price and sale price of each of the aforementioned. To me those data points show a lot of buyers chasing rather than investing - and at the same time, they are also books that can be monetized quickest (and that's always the best aspect).

For me, as of lately, the "go" factors are key, characters, condition and lastly pedigree. The most important though is can I monetize this if I need to.

You forgot to mention rarity. I don't see Hulk 1, BB28, or SC4 on that list. But these books are considered solid gold by most collectors. Action 252 also doesn't make the list but it's increased nearly 100% in value in 2 years.

You forgot to mention rarity. I don't see Hulk 1, BB28, or SC4 on that list. But these books are considered solid gold by most collectors. Action 252 also doesn't make the list but it's increased nearly 100% in value in 2 years.

I'll add all your titles plus Adventure 247 to the list.

Here it is:

Hulk 1..............................50......................................65 (low number overall, but definitely selling more)

B&B 28............................35.......................................45 (Surprisingly low number overall, but trending up in sales)

Showcase 4.......................23.....................................16 (cold, or is it simply super rare)

Action 252.........................18......................................24 (trending upward)

Adventure 247....................18......................................18 (Flat)

Also, I think this list shows that nobody gives a hoot right now about ST 111, ST Annual 2, Showcase 4, & Adventure 247 (might be a good time to buy?)

I dont know much about these numbers but I have to think X-men 4 is trending way, way up now. I recently bought a beater copy (advertised as a 3.0) and thought I overpaid when I got it because it seriously looked no better than a 1.8. Listed at $155 BIN/OBO and it sold for $150 within 10 minutes. I know X-men 4 has always been a popular book but it's gotten so hot lately and will only get hotter going into 2015 when Avengers 2 comes out.

You don't see an awful lot of cgc copies of X-men 4 trading on eBay, but the raw copies, the beaters--these get tons of action.

Also, I think this list shows that nobody gives a hoot right now about ST 111, ST Annual 2, Showcase 4, & Adventure 247 (might be a good time to buy?)

I am not sure you can really compare ST111, ST Annual 2 with Showcase 4 or even Adventure 247.

Strange Tales 111 - nothing significant about the book, period.

Strange Tales Annual 2 - nothing significant about the book, period.

Showcase 4 - MAJOR character appearance: first Silver Age flash and first comic of the silver age.

Adventure 247 - minor character appearance: first Legion of Super Heroes

Showcase 4 is already pretty expensive and Flash hasn't had a ton of exposure in recent years. To make this one grow it really does need a JLA movie or solo title. Not sure if it is a good investment, but it is probably equal to putting your money in a checking account with a 0.002% interest rate. There will always be people that want this book though.

Honestly I struggle even with Adventure 247 as a good investment. Minor characters with little exposure and very little interest outside of comic stores and online comic forums. However, if the Legion gets reintroduced in a meaningful way, this is at least a first appearance and will hold significance then.

Strange Tales 111 and Annual 2 have nothing special about them to anyone other than Strange Tales collectors. It is silly to think that these are good buys unless they are exceedingly rare and Strange Tales collectors are known for being eccentric millionaires. (FYI - both of those qualifiers aren't reality)

I'm not so sure rarity makes a great investment in a book. The books you've mentioned are incredible books but they come at a premium - and IMO, buying at a high is not necessarily wise. For me getting in at the right price and the ability to get out, since we're discussing investment, is paramount.

I'm not so sure rarity makes a great investment in a book. The books you've mentioned are incredible books but they come at a premium - and IMO, buying at a high is not necessarily wise.

Sure, rarity is only a part of the equation. While not exclusively a reason a comic is valuable, it sure does help! (thumbs u

The whole point of investment is determining what "high" is. It doesn't just mean expensive. Sure AF15 and Hulk 1 are expensive, but are they done growing? Nope.

To many other points though, ROI is a factor of both purchase and selling price. You can make a lot of money either flipping books that grow from $50 to $200 or a single book that grows from $2,500 to $4,500.

The books that are already $4,500 typically have longer payout curves and are safer bets is all.

Strange Tales 111 and Annual 2 have nothing special about them to anyone other than Strange Tales collectors. It is silly to think that these are good buys unless they are exceedingly rare and Strange Tales collectors are known for being eccentric millionaires. (FYI - both of those qualifiers aren't reality)

Sorry, but this is nonsense. Annual 2 is the fourth/fifth appearance of Spiderman (it varies depending on publication date and story continuity), is far more scarce in high grade than ASM issues published at the time, yet is valued at a small fraction of those ASMs.

You're looking in the rear view mirror to attempt to ascribe future growth potential to books. AF15, ST110 and FF52, three of your most 'hot' books, have increased dramatically in value over the past two years. That's the reason why so many of them sold in 2012 relative to earlier years - the high prices have brought copies to the market. The big price growth on these has likely come and gone, at least for a while, and the increasing number of copies available for sale is a reflection of that.

In my opinion, it's the books that haven't undergone a major price appreciation, are scarce in high grade, and have underappreciated desirability associated with them that are most likely to rise substantially in value going forward.

Major Marvel keys have historically maintained their value very well, and are likely to continue to do so, but the most recent sales of AF15, FF1, Hulk 1, and TOS39 suggest that their growth is taking at least a short-term rest, and flipping them for a quick profit in the rest of 2013 may not be that successful.

I'm not so sure rarity makes a great investment in a book. The books you've mentioned are incredible books but they come at a premium - and IMO, buying at a high is not necessarily wise.

Sure, rarity is only a part of the equation. While not exclusively a reason a comic is valuable, it sure does help! (thumbs u

The whole point of investment is determining what "high" is. It doesn't just mean expensive. Sure AF15 and Hulk 1 are expensive, but are they done growing? Nope.

To many other points though, ROI is a factor of both purchase and selling price. You can make a lot of money either flipping books that grow from $50 to $200 or a single book that grows from $2,500 to $4,500.

The books that are already $4,500 typically have longer payout curves and are safer bets is all.

True. Well put. I appreciate the clarification on differentiating high from expensive.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. Annual 2 is the fourth appearance of Spiderman, is far more scarce than ASM issues published at the time, yet is valued at a small fraction of those ASMs.

You're looking in the rear view mirror to attempt to ascribe growth potential to books. AF15, ST110 and FF52, three of your most 'hot' books, have increased markedly in value over the past two years. That's the reason why so many of them sold in 2012 relative to earlier years - the high prices have brought copies to the market.

In my opinion, it's the books that haven't undergone a major price appreciation, are scarce in high grade, and have underappreciated desirability associated with them that are most likely to rise substantially in value.

The fourth appearance of anything is NOT special. Also, per previous posts, scarcity is not the only determining fact of value.

FYI - 4th appearance plus "rarer than others" does not equal value in of itself.

By the way, I am not a fan of ST110 and FF52 as many others are... If you read my original post, neither were included.

The fourth appearance of anything is NOT special.

Sorry, but the stratospheric prices for high grade copies of ASM #s 3-5 are clear indicators that the earliest Spiderman appearances of are great value to collectors. Indeed, the only early Spidey appearance that doesn't currently command such prices is ST Annual #2, and the scarcity of the book in high grade relative to the early ASM issues and relatively cheap current valuation bode well for future valuation of the comic.

The fourth appearance of anything is NOT special.

Sorry, but the stratospheric prices for high grade copies of ASM #s 3-5 are clear indicators that the earliest Spiderman appearances of are great value to collectors.

Seriously?

ASM3 = first Doc Octopus

ASM4 = first Sandman

ASM5 = first Dr. Doom in ASM and FF Cross-over

These books are important because they introduce major villains and are low ASMs. The values in these has nothing to do with "second, fifth or sixth" appearance of Spiderman.

It isn't even the same conversation.

Strange Tales Annual #2

- fourth Spidey appearance (according to publication date) and first crossover

- along with FF Annual #1, the first Marvel superhero annual

- Kirby Spiderman art

- scarce in ultra high grade - good luck finding a sweet copy without the glue rippling on the cover (which CGC inexplicably gives a pass to)

- way underpriced for a long time at a small fraction of the ASM issues of the day

Agree with everything you stated above. A wonderful book with so much going for it, yet it has been woefully underappreciated for so many years.

Forgot to add: Kirby pencils AND Ditko inks :)

I don't disagree that this is a great book. But do you think it has enough appeal in the market to be a "good investment?"

In my opinion it should, but it's been overlooked. And that's the point of this thread, to identify the hidden gems, the underappreciated comics that have significant room to increase in value, and deserve more appreciation. A lot of the comics being suggested in this thread have had substantial run-ups in value over the past decade, and consequently have little room for further price appreciation.

9.0 copies according to GPA:

ASM #3 (July, 1963)...$6800

ASM #4 (September, 1963)...$4400

ST Ann #2 (Summer, 1963)...$1700

Which is the scarcest of the 3? ST Annual #2, despite the frequent cover rippling from the dried glue being largely ignored by CGC.

I too agree that ST Annual #2 is a great book, but not for the "4th Spidey appearance."

Spider-man had his first encounter with the Torch in ASM 1, everyone should know this. The short story in that ST Annual #2 is not new, it's the same fight as in ASM 1, just expanded slightly.

So the reality is that that annual is not the 4th appearance of Spider-Man, it's technically a reprint story, which is what the annuals became for a lot of the time.

I think it's a great book for the other very good stories in it, besides the Spidey reprint story.

I would be interested in the ST Annual #2 if the Spider-Man appearance was truly a unique story.

I was not happy in the late 70's when I realized that Marvel was spreading story lines across the other Spider-Man title. Then they came out with Web of etc, and I quit bothering with them.

I too agree that ST Annual #2 is a great book, but not for the "4th Spidey appearance."

Spider-man had his first encounter with the Torch in ASM 1, everyone should know this. The short story in that ST Annual #2 is not new, it's the same fight as in ASM 1, just expanded slightly.

So the reality is that that annual is not the 4th appearance of Spider-Man, it's technically a reprint story, which is what the annuals became for a lot of the time.

I think it's a great book for the other very good stories in it, besides the Spidey reprint story.

I appreciate your insight. However, Overstreet considers ST Annual 2 the first Spidey crossover and fourth overall appearance, and so there is a bit of room for interpretation over the importance of the book in the Spiderman pantheon.

ehhhh its a neat book but has always been hampered by the fact its outside the regular numbering system. That's not magically going to change. It will always be where its always been, IMO