• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

So essentially it's a decent investment as it:

a) Doesn't cost much now

b) SA Marvel's, especially pre-1965 generally go up over time at least somewhat

c) if it DOES catch fire it's a BONUS

and

d) you can't go wrong if you're a fan of Kirby, Ditko, Spidey, etc.

(shrug)

This book is not a key and it sells for so low because of that reason.

Now this opens the usual, basic question on why those considered "Keys" sell for that much, while some that truly are because of the stories' meaning don’t.

I mean, I don’t care at all about the Hulk/Thing battles, but will always buy Fantastic Four #61-67 if the price is right… ;)

i find this thread interested and amusing........

Funniest part is the disagreements about books' value.

Frankly, i suggest we start getting some friendly wagers in the mix - call it a version of GPA Pack Poker

1) Two guys pick a book which they have (own) and believe will do well

2) Contract is locked (based on book's current value)

3) agreed upon time goes by, say 6 months or a year

4) winner is the fella (or lady) whose book has a 90-day GPA average with the most growth

5) lower gives winner $x, y books, or z accolades

People talk a big show - until there is some dough on the line (my experience!) :)

lol.........

Some of the books that will appreciate most in value have infrequent sales entries on GPA, and so cannot be tracked with a 90 day price average.

A lot of the books recommended so far are those that appreciated dramatically in price over the last year or two. It's certainly not clear that they will increase in value appreciably over the second half of 2013, so it would be interesting to re-visit at the end of 2013 sales records and identify comics with or without price spikes for the second half of the year.

That is an awesome book to have, EXTREMELY UNDERVALUED, it's the fourth app of spidey, but it sells for so low

The notion that only keys appreciate markedly in value and represent good investments has been disproven repeatedly over time.

The combination of scarcity in high grade and newly appreciated desirability that drives demand is most often what ramps pricing way up. The phrase on the Boards in the early days that captures this was 'the madness begins at 9.6'.

That is an awesome book to have, EXTREMELY UNDERVALUED, it's the fourth app of spidey, but it sells for so low

The notion that only keys appreciate markedly in value and represent good investments has been disproven repeatedly over time.

The combination of scarcity in high grade and newly appreciated desirability that drives demand is most often what ramps pricing way up. The phrase on the Boards in the early days that captures this was 'the madness begins at 9.6'.

I agree, a book does not have to be "key" to grow in value. However, this largely resides on the definition of the word "key." In general there needs to be something significant about a book for it to be sought after in a large enough market to increase value. First appearance, key story-line, origin, etc.

In this case I do not attribute large market value. There is a relatively small group of people collecting this comic and virtually little significance other than "early appearance" or the fact that you a fan of Kirby/Ditko (they have done hundreds of books).

Furthermore, the provided reasons listed below are not indicators of a good investment, they are mostly reasons for people who like the comic to buy it.

a) Doesn't cost much now

b) SA Marvel's, especially pre-1965 generally go up over time at least somewhat

c) if it DOES catch fire it's a BONUS

d) you can't go wrong if you're a fan of Kirby, Ditko, Spidey, etc.

e) 4th appearance

Every book can't be valuable, or none will be.

Some of the books that will appreciate most in value have infrequent sales entries on GPA, and so cannot be tracked with a 90 day price average.

This is pure speculation. By the nature of the tool and the internet driven world it is also likely false in the long-term.

Without electronic tracking of prices (or guides), there is no practical way to track pricing and substantiate this claim unless you are large dealer that sells thousands of books a year.

A lot of the books recommended so far are those that appreciated dramatically in price over the last year or two. It's certainly not clear that they will increase in value appreciably over the second half of 2013, so it would be interesting to re-visit at the end of 2013 sales records and identify comics with or without price spikes for the second half of the year.

I agree, we need a way to measure the success and settle the argument 12 months from now.

Frankly, i suggest we start getting some friendly wagers in the mix - call it a version of GPA Pack Poker

4) winner is the fella (or lady) whose book has a 90-day GPA average with the most growth

People talk a big show - until there is some dough on the line (my experience!) :)

lol.........

I am in.

Let's bet books, who wants to "put up or shut up?"

:slapfight:

Why not - for giggles and books.

FF #52 CGC 7.0 Blue label.

Who wants to throw another 7.0 of something in the mix.

I assume price rises are measured in % not actual dollars, as an AF #15 will of course win.

If we can agree on a fair competitor - and the rules, winner takes both books.

Who's game?

lol.........

Double lol Joey hypothetically I'll bet you 25k and then hyper inflate said book by buying a s load of said book then reselling them with a s load of shill bidders to manipulate GPA. You sure you still want to take that bet :devil:

This is pure speculation. By the nature of the tool and the internet driven world it is also likely false in the long-term.

Without electronic tracking of prices (or guides), there is no practical way to track pricing and substantiate this claim unless you are large dealer that sells thousands of books a year.

I agree, we need a way to measure the success and settle the argument 12 months from now.

Six months from now. The thread was started at the end of June and refers specifically to comic 'investments' this year.

As for scarce books that have infrequent recorded sales on GPA - their pricing simply needs to be tracked over a longer time period, and with more pricing sources than simply GPA. There's nothing speculative about them, but by demanding that the only price tracking will be through GPA and for sales over a six month time period, you rule out large numbers of comic issues that are scarce and are increasing markedly in value.

You must be a newbie.

Six months from now. The thread was started at the end of June and refers specifically to comic 'investments' this year.

As for scarce books that have infrequent recorded sales on GPA - their pricing simply needs to be tracked over a longer time period, and with more pricing sources than simply GPA. There's nothing speculative about them, but by demanding that the only price tracking will be through GPA and for sales over a six month time period, you rule out large numbers of comic issues that are scarce and are increasing markedly in value.

You must be a newbie.

I never demanded anything.

Unless you can back up pricing data, it is speculative.

What other pricing sources do you recommend? Are you talking guides? Or are you a large dealer with sales history over the past few years with thousands of books, including multiple copies of this particular book, you can reference? What pricing tool do you have that is so valuable, widely available, accurate and easy to use?

And as far as "scarce" goes, we are talking about a silver age book. Most silver books are not scarce, including the one in question. Not to mention that scarcity is not necessary linked with value. Lots of things are old, rare and worthless.

Low number of GPA sales can also indicate a small number of sales in market because no one is buying or selling the book outside of very small circles. Arguing otherwise is like saying a low CGC census means rarity, it is a false conclusion (depending on the circumstances).

To sum it up: you are arguing that a non-rare, non-key, non-GPA book is going to increase quickly in value? I should just take your word (and the words of die hard fans who own the book)?

You must be an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

lol.........

Double lol Joey hypothetically I'll bet you 25k and then hyper inflate said book by buying a s load of said book then reselling them with a s load of shill bidders to manipulate GPA. You sure you still want to take that bet :devil:

I do. Who has that kind of time? (shrug)

And as far as "scarce" goes, we are talking about a silver age book. Most silver books are not scarce

To sum it up: you are arguing that a non-rare, non-key, non-GPA book is going to increase quickly in value? I should just take your word (and the words of die hard fans who own the book)?

Nice, especially for a newbie.

Most silver age books that are not scarce are not increasing markedly in value.

Rare books are often precisely the ones that increase markedly in value, and it's not a question of taking anyone's word for it, but following the sales data, just over a time period longer than someone with a short attention span can handle.

If the last GPA recorded sale of a scarce in high grade comic is for a tiny fraction of what a copy currently on the market would sell for, then that's an issue appreciating dramatically in value.

Your focus on recent past performance as an index of future gains is a market strategy that any savvy investor will tell you is full of fail. Look closely at what's on the market right at this moment and you'll see examples why. Strange Tales 135? Peaked over a year ago. Near mint copies priced like it's 2011 have been sitting in E-Bay stores for a long time without selling. Strange Tales 111? It's been over two years since demand has exceeded supply for high grade copies. Same for FF 5.

On the other hand, if you want a copy of ST Annual #2 in 9.2 or better, the only copies currently being offered on the open market have asking prices 2-3 times the last GPA-recorded sale price. Time will tell whether any copies actually sell for way above their most recent sale price, but all it takes is one motivated buyer and short supply to raise a thinly traded market.

Perhaps all you really care about is 'investing' based on movie hype.

And as far as "scarce" goes, we are talking about a silver age book. Most silver books are not scarce

Nice, especially for a newbie.

Most silver age books that are not scarce are not increasing markedly in value.

Rare books are often precisely the ones that increase markedly in value, and it's not a question of taking anyone's word for it, but following the sales data, just over a time period longer than someone with a short attention span can handle.

If the last GPA recorded sale of a scarce in high grade comic is for a tiny fraction of what a copy currently on the market would sell for, then that's an issue appreciating dramatically in value.

Your focus on recent past performance as an index of future gains is a market strategy that any savvy investor will tell you is full of fail.

:blahblah:

Amazing Fantasy 15

Spiderman 1

Avengers 1

All non-rare silver books that have increased largely in value. There are plenty more. Books mostly increase in value because they contain pivotal moments for very popular characters. Rarity just drives that value even higher.

You just made a ton of assumptions about how I view the market, review pricing or make investments. You have no idea who I am, what I do, where I have been or "how long my attention span is." None of it is true.

Frankly your arrogance is exceptional, congratulations for making judgements about people you don't know.

Your entire argument (other than vainly insulting me) is based on the fact that you have "observed" pricing over a period of time and that asserting it is a valid point. Your personal experience over time (patient or otherwise) isn't a valid argument without anything to back it up.

You are unable to name other sources because there aren't many and you are picking apart the tools because you don't like the sales results they show.

Sorry but no data, no dice. You can attack me all you want, but it doesn't make you point of view accurate.

Yes, you're under attack. meh

As for the comics you listed, I know I couldn't fetch any more today for my copy of Avengers #1 that sold 3 years ago. Your money would have done far better invested in US Securities than that comic.

AF15 and Hulk 1 have been great books from an investment perspective over the past several years. For the rest of 2013? Anybody's guess, but I have yet to see you make a cogent argument why they will be great investments for the rest of this year.