• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

I sold a 7.5. US Securities are up over 60% in that time frame. How has Avengers #1 in 7.5 fared?

I can cherrypick a single comic in a single grade, too, but it won't show anything other than desperation.

Fine, ignore the data and stick to your guns. There are plenty other examples and you know it.

Congrats on the bond, glad it paid out more than Avengers 1. Not sure the relevance, but (thumbs u

On the contrary, I provided data showing that high grade Avengers #1 have not appreciated over the past 3 years.

Since the subject of the thread is comic books as investments, the relative performance of US stocks and comics over comparable time frames is quite relevant, as it's worthwhile to consider any investment option relative to others that may be more profitable. As for your comment on bonds, I don't know what you're talking about.

I love to look at those high grade big mega keys,but the nose bleed prices are not appreciating at a high rate.The real appreciation are in the mid grade big keys,the majority of people can't afford those high priced big keys.So they are jumping on the mid grade train,and it's showing with huge gains.

Low grade books in the 2.0 - 4.0 range are jumping up nicely now as well due to the affordability issue. The affordability trend is shown in the e-mails dealers are sending around now asking for keys in 2.0 - 6.0. (thumbs u

I sold a 7.5. US Securities are up over 60% in that time frame. How has Avengers #1 in 7.5 fared?

I can cherrypick a single comic in a single grade, too, but it won't show anything other than desperation.

Fine, ignore the data and stick to your guns. There are plenty other examples and you know it.

Congrats on the bond, glad it paid out more than Avengers 1. Not sure the relevance, but (thumbs u

On the contrary, I provided data showing that high grade Avengers #1 have not appreciated over the past 3 years.

Since the subject of the thread is comic books as investments, the relative performance of US stocks and comics over comparable time frames is quite relevant, as it's worthwhile to consider any investment option relative to others that may be more profitable. As for your comment on bonds, I don't know what you're talking about.

I love to look at those high grade big mega keys,but the nose bleed prices are not appreciating at a high rate.The real appreciation are in the mid grade big keys,the majority of people can't afford those high priced big keys.So they are jumping on the mid grade train,and it's showing with huge gains.

Low grade books in the 2.0 - 4.0 range are jumping up nicely now as well due to the affordability issue. The affordability trend is shown in the e-mails dealers are sending around now asking for keys in 2.0 - 6.0. (thumbs u

:o

Nooooooooooooooo!

All my keys are 1.5's!

:tonofbricks:

Agreed with your good point.

I would just buy as many Marvel Silver Age keys as one can afford in any condition because with Disney running the ship I see all Marvel Silver Age keys going up in value this next decade.

The Marvel silver age keys are similar to Batman, Superman and Captain America keys in the golden age.

AKA the Marvel Silver Age keys are the entire comic book collecting communities' bread and butter.

If you took out the Marvel Silver Age, then we wouldn`t really be talking about comics as investments for the most part.

2c

Why not - for giggles and books.

FF #52 CGC 7.0 Blue label.

Who wants to throw another 7.0 of something in the mix.

I assume price rises are measured in % not actual dollars, as an AF #15 will of course win.

If we can agree on a fair competitor - and the rules, winner takes both books.

Who's game?

Its been 3 days - nobody game?

So one must really diversify when picking keys, as not all will go up in value long-term.

I would look for similar comics that were under the radar like Iron Man #55 that have now exploded in value to maximize profits. 2c

Then you must be hoarding Avengers 55s, right? :applause:

;)

AGE OF ULTRON TO BE NEXT AVENGERS MOVIE!

Let the frenzy begin!

:whistle:

I assume price rises are measured in % not actual dollars, as an AF #15 will of course win.

Who's game?

Can I take my Avengers 55 7.0 against it at today's current GPA? :baiting:

:jokealert:

Who's game?

That actually seems fair.

So one must really diversify when picking keys, as not all will go up in value long-term.

I would look for similar comics that were under the radar like Iron Man #55 that have now exploded in value to maximize profits. 2c

Then you must be hoarding Avengers 55s, right? :applause:

;)

AGE OF ULTRON TO BE NEXT AVENGERS MOVIE!

Let the frenzy begin!

:whistle:

I'm now quite glad I bought my 9.4 when I did...though I regret that I stopped looking for better even more now lol

Who's game?

That actually seems fair.

If you are happy to be judge and jury and set some rules BoBo - why not?

Lets set prices as 12 month average as of of August 1st 2013 and do a % profit comparison - winner takes both books.

August 1st 2014 to be pay-day.

Set to it Bo-Bo.

Hello all. I just returned to collecting about a year ago after a very long lay off (25 years or so). It's certainly been a learning experience and a lot has changed. It's been particularly interesting to see the impact that the movies have had on collecting. So now with the anouncement of the Avengers 2 title money goes rushing in to Avengers 55. What is the impact on Iron Man 55? Does the money go rushing out? I hope I posted this in the right spot...I've had my share of flubs thus far.

Alright I'll play. This is only my opinion and I am not necessarily buying or even own these books. I actually think some of the 'keys' are overvalued due to increased constant movie exposure. Just an opinion.

I like:

Strange Tales 135

Iron Man 1 (I don't know any 'newbie' collectors that don't want this book and I meet a lot at antique conventions and the like)

Tales of Suspense 52 and 53 (both undervalued in my opinion)

FF 48 and 52 (yes, there are a million copies of 48, but it is in demand)

Avengers 57

Just a few I like...controversial list, but everyone always names the mega keys.

Bumping this thread.

Alright I'll play. This is only my opinion and I am not necessarily buying or even own these books. I actually think some of the 'keys' are overvalued due to increased constant movie exposure. Just an opinion.

I like:

Strange Tales 135

Iron Man 1 (I don't know any 'newbie' collectors that don't want this book and I meet a lot at antique conventions and the like)

Avengers 57

Just a few I like...controversial list, but everyone always names the mega keys.

Bumping this thread.

I think FF 48 is undervalued. Silver Surfer is under the radar now, while I think Avengers 57 is a good solid pick.

I am not really sold on Strange Tales 135,as the Agents of SHIELD show doesn`t seem that big.

With FF 52 and Iron Man 1 you can`t go wrong.

I like:

Strange Tales 135

Avengers 57

Bumping this thread.

I think FF 48 is undervalued. Silver Surfer is under the radar now, while I think Avengers 57 is a good solid pick.

I am not really sold on Strange Tales 135,as the Agents of SHIELD show doesn`t seem that big.

FF 48 is definitely undervalued, imo. There isn't a huge disparity in price between it and SS #1 for some reason - in the lower grades, anyway.

Having said that, it's probably only undervalued relative to the movie-bump phenomenon we're seeing at the moment. Good time to buy. Someone's going to do a Surfer/Galactus movie at some stage and there's the potential for it to be amazing if the producers understand the source material.

I like:

Strange Tales 135

Avengers 57

Bumping this thread.

FF 48 is definitely undervalued, imo. There isn't a huge disparity in price between it and SS #1 for some reason - in the lower grades, anyway.

Having said that, it's probably only undervalued relative to the movie-bump phenomenon we're seeing at the moment. Good time to buy. Someone's going to do a Surfer/Galactus movie at some stage and there's the potential for it to be amazing if the producers understand the source material.

With the cosmic success of GOTG, I can see that happening sooner rather than later... :wishluck:

I like:

Strange Tales 135

Avengers 57

Bumping this thread.

With the cosmic success of GOTG, I can see that happening sooner rather than later... :wishluck:

fingerscrossed.gif