• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uh oh, Man of Steel plummets at box office

126 posts in this topic

I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I am concerned. I had a friend that saw it, who is about 32, not a comic fan, but likes most stuff that I like, and he said it was really disappointing. Said the acting was bad, and the fight scenes were just "not good". He liked the Batman films, and Iron Man and Avengers.

Again, he doesn't have a Marvel vs DC bias, just didn't like the movie.

I'll tell you what I told my coworkers watch the movie and be the judge of If is good or not. They all came back me today at work said the movie was awesome and they like it better than IM3.

I haven't seen the new movie yet, but I am concerned. I had a friend that saw it, who is about 32, not a comic fan, but likes most stuff that I like, and he said it was really disappointing. Said the acting was bad, and the fight scenes were just "not good". He liked the Batman films, and Iron Man and Avengers.

I'll tell you what I told my coworkers watch the movie and be the judge of If is good or not. They all came back me today at work said the movie was awesome and they like it better than IM3.

(thumbs u

Doesn't worry me.

MoS has almost made it's money back in the U.S.

Plus,it's doing very well in the International markets.

Lets just say it's doing better than Green Lantern.

[font:Book Antiqua]Let’s forget that even was made ok...?[/font]

:facepalm:

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u I thought MoS was a really good movie!

During that year in time,2003, the INCREDIBLE HULK movie w/ Eric Bana and Jennifer Connally held the all-time record for a drop off at the box office, reported in Variety magazine, and that week-end drop off was 69.7%.

Here's the cut-n-paste figures:

$62,128,420 (USA) (22 June 2003) (3,660 Screens)

The following week box office figures:

$18,847,620 (USA) (29 June 2003) (3,674 Screens

The MOS was a bigger budgeted "tentpole" blockbuster, approximately 100 million MORE than the Ang Lee Directed HULK, but rest assured that both movies made their investors some coin. Methinks the profit participation for MOS will be double of the Ang Lee HULK. Just my 2c

CAL

Did another hot movie come out the following week that might explain the results other than that Hulk movie sucked?

Supes has to deal with WWZ and zombies are hot now.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u I thought MoS was a really good movie!

Saw MoS a couple days ago with Mrs Warlord... we both liked it. Also we both thought there were a couple fight scenes that could have benefited from being a bit shorter, but liked the overall story, the action, and the special effects. :applause:

The younger demographic that wants to see Man of Steel are now going to Monsters University, which probably plays a part. As much as my 11-year old step-son loved Superman, he's had MU on his mind for three days now.

During that year in time,2003, the INCREDIBLE HULK movie w/ Eric Bana and Jennifer Connally held the all-time record for a drop off at the box office, reported in Variety magazine, and that week-end drop off was 69.7%.

The MOS was a bigger budgeted "tentpole" blockbuster, approximately 100 million MORE than the Ang Lee Directed HULK, but rest assured that both movies made their investors some coin. Methinks the profit participation for MOS will be double of the Ang Lee HULK. Just my 2c

CAL

Did another hot movie come out the following week that might explain the results other than that Hulk movie sucked?

The Producers' jargon for what you ask is the; "Crowded Market" in which there are four or more competing tentpole/blockbusters the same opening weekend. I can't recall which other Megas(another slang) were competing against Ang(st) Lee's HULK but I DO recall the Interview in which Lee correctly states THAT THERE IS NO CONTROL whatsoever in what the competition does or plans to do; you do the best YOU can do with what you have to work with.

Lee did the best he could and yes, that HULK movie has been trashed ad nauseum, but there were some redeeming elements provided in that movie. Same for MOS, a very good movie for the Genre.

CAL 2c

Not that I am saying an opinion is right or wrong, but I'd say your friend has a minority opinion. All I hear from friends and my wife's co-workers (I only have one co-worker) is that it is unbelievably awesome. I find most people seem to compare it to Iron Man 1 because you didn't have to be a comic geek to enjoy the performance.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend risking $20 to watch it (in Imax if possible) because it's really a great Superman film. To me, it proved that if you're into comics, or have ever been into comics at any point in your life, regardless of what kind of comics you read - Superman seems to have a special place in everyone's heart.

The younger demographic that wants to see Man of Steel are now going to Monsters University, which probably plays a part. As much as my 11-year old step-son loved Superman, he's had MU on his mind for three days now.

This is the real problem with MOS: it really doesn't connect with the 12-and-under crowd, and that is a lot of lost revenue. My 10-year-old daughter doesn't want to see it. "It's too much for grown ups," she explains. My 8-year-old son saw it, and he was understandably lost much of the time during MOS. But play Superman The Movie for him and he follows it.

I understand DC/Nolan are trying to make the DC character library "more realistic," but they should never forget these characters were marketed 75 years ago for CHILDREN. Marvel gets that, and keeps light-hearted moments in much of what one sees in Avengers, ASM, the IM films, Cap, etc. My kids and their friends love almost all of the Marvel films.

In MOS, how often do you see Superman helping a child? There is a great scene in Superman The Movie where the Reeves version flies down to take a cat down from a tree and give it back to its owner, a kid. It's moments like that whereby kids "connect" to the movie.

One of my son's friends went to see MOS with us and asked, "why don't they call the movie 'Superman'"?

I let my dad pick between fast 6, superman, and monsters u and he picked monsters u. I was willing to see supes again if he wanted to see it (shrug)

I LOVED monsters inc. LOVED IT! My kids have made me watch it easily 200 times and I'd still watch it again by myself if it was on. Only Finding Nemo would rank ahead of it as kids films go. monsters U though?!? My daughter made me see it Friday and that movie was HORRIFIC! Not Chipmunks bad but damn horrific! If it was ANYTHING other than my daughters birthday party, I would have forced her to leave with me and go see WWZ 15 minutes into that steaming pile of garbage :sick:

CAL

28 Days Later and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. So that would be a big no. lol

I enjoyed it very much...

I had little expectation going in as I am not a huge Superman fan and only collect a few Golden Age books here and there of big blue.

I walked out of the theaters stunned at what I saw and how good it actually was.

After seeing it on preview night I went back earlier this week to see it in 3D and it only got better with a second viewing.

BTW - I usually avoid 3D movies... for reference point.

I don't really care for Superman. But, my wife and I just saw Man of Steel today. We both loved it. Best Superman story ever. Henry Cavill was perfect. If DC keeps this method and tone for it's future movies, all will be well and Marvel will finally have a worthy cinema challenger. MoS was easily much, much, much better than Iron Man 3.

http://io9.com/5747305/how-much-money-does-a-movie-need-to-make-to-be-profitable

So as a ballpark figure, studios generally take in around 50-55 percent of U.S. box office money.

According to the book The Hollywood Economist by Edward Jay Epstein, studios take in about 40 percent of the revenue from overseas release — and after expenses, they're lucky if they take in 15 percent of that number.

(thumbs u

One of my son's friends went to see MOS with us and asked, "why don't they call the movie 'Superman'"?

:applause:

The obvious answer, of course, is that the focus groups and marketing gurus boiled it all down to gravy for the money men, and the report they passed on to the financial gatekeepers stated that Superman is dated, trite, played-out, and (most importantly) smacks of silly kiddie four-color-long-john nonsense, whereas Man of Steel resonates better with adult comics fans, and/or adults who don't know a damn thing about comics, and don't care, but who might just be prodded into shucking out 12 bucks a pop to see the thing if and only if it's made clear to them up front that the intent isn't to insult their intelligence with...silly kiddie nonsense.

Except that...flying men, space aliens, etc., ARE silly, no matter how "realistically" (whatever the hell that means in this context) they're portrayed.

Demand that something like a low-brow, populist, comic book fable be more than it was ever intended to be, and watch its artistic worth decline even as the ambitions of its modern-day caretakers soar. Worse yet, as we labor to make fantasy "real", we risk losing most--if not all--of what made the fantasy worthwhile in the first place.

There's more useful truth in Superman rescuing a cat from a tree, putting Luthor in jail for his schemes, and pining for Lois Lane while hiding behind a meek and timid disguise than there is in a thousand morally ambiguous and ultra-violent mass-produced CGI daydreams.

It's sad that Superman's beneficiaries have lost sight of this, and sadder still that nobody really seems to care...

I still want to see this even though the previous movies made me ill. The effects look great and I'm so sick of the wishy washy Supes so the action/fight scenes are long overdue. I think the movie executives were pumping this up pre-release to be on par with IM#3 in terms of gross revenues. :tonofbricks: Long story short, Marvel is still better so suck it DC fanboys. :banana::grin: I kid of course [well sort of]. :devil: