• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales to Astonish 13/ PLANET X

239 posts in this topic

Holy schamoly, TTA 13 is going off the charts. I'm never gonna get into this club.

Personally speaking - I haven't seen this book much over the 6+ years I've been looking for pre-hero monster books, has someone else confirmed this book is hard to find? Combined with movie hype, I think I can see what it's going nuts.

Yeah, the hype has probably permanently spiked this book into the stratosphere. I think even after GotG calms down a year or two from now (or longer, depending on the break-out performance of Groot) it's still going to be in that Strange Tales 89 realm. Thankfully, I've got that one.

Holy schamoly, TTA 13 is going off the charts. I'm never gonna get into this club.

Personally speaking - I haven't seen this book much over the 6+ years I've been looking for pre-hero monster books, has someone else confirmed this book is hard to find? Combined with movie hype, I think I can see what it's going nuts.

A lot of the 1959/1960 pre hero comics are pretty hard to find copies. For years I have also watched these comics. TTA 13 did not come up for sale alot...even before the movie hype. It's kinda cool to see one of the old pre hero monsters get some attention. If Groot does get more attention from the movie (if its a hit) it will be interesting what this comic will command due to its lack of copies in the market.

Yeah, the hype has probably permanently spiked this book into the stratosphere. I think even after GotG calms down a year or two from now (or longer, depending on the break-out performance of Groot) it's still going to be in that Strange Tales 89 realm. Thankfully, I've got that one.

yeah. I'm at the point where I'd be fine with ST 89 pricing in the short term but its actually a lot more than that right now with the hype doh!

I have always thought this book was difficult to find, I have all the issues around it, but have never came across a copy in the wild, in the UK.

I probably will have to hope the heat dies down a bit after the movie to complete my TTA collection :(

Here are some hard facts. TTA 13 census at 7.0 or above:

9.4 - 1

9.2 - 1

8.5 - 2

7.5 - 8

7.0 - 6

Total: 18

Let's compare to the other 11/60 issues.

Strange Tales 78 - (at 8.5 or above, literally identical and overall, fewer grades copies at 7.0+):

9.4 - 1

9.2 - 1

8.5 - 2

8.0 - 4

7.5 - 2

7.0 - 2

Total: 12

JIM 62 - very very similar as well at the top end, and the total # is identical.

9.4 - 1

9.2 - 1

9.0 - 1

8.5 - 2

8.0 - 4

7.5 - 4

7.0 - 5

TOS 12... I think of this as a relatively common issue yet even this issue actually has the exact same # of copies at 7.0+. 18.

9.2 - 1

9.0 - 4

8.5 - 2

8.0 - 6

7.5 - 5

^ Please note, I just chose 7.0 as a reasonable cutoff so that I would have some decent numbers but wouldn't have to do too much math lol

Its pretty remarkable that 3 of the 4 issues with the 11/60 date had the exact same # graded.

I guess I should include Amazing Adventures #6 Sserpo as well. Also 11/60.

9.4 - 1

8.5 - 1

8.0 - 1

7.5 - 3

7.0 - 6

Total: 12

---- I hope all of this will dispel any idea that TTA 13 is any rarer than any other 11/60 release. It just isn't, at least per the census in 7.0+. No reason to think raw copies would be much different.

Okay, so we've established that #13 isn't rarer than the other 11/60 release per the census blah blah.

So how does it compare to other TTAs from that period? Let's find out, stay tuned.

Here are the three issues before, and the three issues after. Mixed results. Conclusion: TTA 13 is right in the wheelhouse with most issues. Not surprisingly, the issues before #13 are mostly rarer, and the issues after #13 are mostly more common. (per the census :blahblah: )

TTA 10.

9.0 -3

8.5 - 2

8.0 - 1

7.5 - 2

7.0 - 3

Total: 11

TTA 11. I had guessed this one was rarer... swami says!!

9.0 - 1

8.5 - 1

8.0 - 1

7.5 - 1

7.0 - 3

Total: just 7

TTA 12. As I had suggested this one seems a little more common.

9.4 - 1

9.2 - 1

9.0 - 1

8.5 - 2

8.0 - 7

7.5 - 7

7.0 - 3

Total: 22

TTA 14.

9.2 - 4

9.0 - 1

8.5 - 2

8.0 - 6

7.5 - 4

7.0 -1

Total: 19

TTA 15.

9.4 - 2 (one is mine :acclaim: )

9.2 - 3

9.0 - 3

8.5 - 2

8.0 - 4

7.5 - 6

7.0 - 4

Total: 24

TTA 16.

9.6 - 1 (holy smokes!)

9.2 - 3

9.0 - 2

8.0 - 5

7.5 - 2

7.0 - 3

Total: 16

Okay, so we've established that #13 isn't rarer than the other 11/60 release per the census blah blah.

So how does it compare to other TTAs from that period? Let's find out, stay tuned.

You are talking about the census, I am talking about raw also, I have at least one copy of all the other issues you mention and have seen multiple copies of them over the years. I have never seen a copy of TTA 13

You're also living in the UK where distribution is going to be more spotty. 2c The census is just graded copies, sure, but its hard fact and verifiable which is more than can be said for any one fan's personal experience, mine included.

You're also living in the UK where distribution is going to be more spotty. 2c The census is just graded copies, sure, but its hard fact and verifiable which is more than can be said for any one fan's personal experience, mine included.

I have bought and looked through 100s of collections, this book was always missing.

I also used to be in a comic club with over 40 members, no one had this issue, agree the distribution was ify at best back in the day, its definitely a hard book to find in the UK