• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Offical LONE RANGER Movie & Comic Cover Thread - Love, Like or Hate poll

The new LONE RANGER movie... My opinion was that I...  

165 members have voted

1. 1. The new LONE RANGER movie... My opinion was that I...

106 posts in this topic

Off the ones I have seen released in the last seven years that were extremely successful at the box office were remakes of extremely popular films 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit. When they can make a successful western without relying on the original films success I will be impressed.

Django Unchained was just last year. Flop? (shrug) (haven't seen it)

And the current AMC 'Hell On Wheels' tv drama is high quality and well acted/written.

Anyway, westerns aren't dead. Bad westerns are just like any kind of bad, DOA. Don't blame the genre.

Best western of all time, and required viewing for anyone with eyeballs (imho): The Wild Bunch (1969) :cloud9: Frak a bunch of Young Guns. :sumo::)

the-wild-bunch-1969.jpg

Django falls under remake category. Do your studies you will find out it is an Italian film from the 60's. Don't you know where the name Jango in Jango Fett comes from it is a tribute to Django.So yes westerns are dead when an original cant do well and no Hollywood studio wants to take a chance.

Django is not a remake. All it's taken is the name of the main character of a series of B Spaghetti Westerns. The actor who played the original role has a cameo in Tarantino's version, but there's not much more to it.

It is a remake of a popular character by your own admission right there. Nothing original.

doh! It's just the name. If in your eyes using a single name that's been used before makes a movie a remake, then we'll just have to agree to agree that I'm right.

Hate to break it to you Star Wars A New Hope is a remake of Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress a Samurai film. Sure Lucas added a few more things in, but you can look at the scenes and see them almost scene for scene transferred to Star Wars A New Hope. Die Hard is actually the second film to be made on John McClain the first one features Frank Sinatra in a movie called the Detective. Die Hard was originally written as a sequel for Sinatra to star in, but when he declined they retooled and renamed the character from Joe Leland in the books to John McClain, Serenity falls under steampunk and it bombed at the box office plus fox canceled it after one season I hardly call that successful, and sure everything takes from something else, but put Batman in a western setting the film would flop we got that with Jonah Hex.

I thought Die Hard was supposed to be the sequel to Commando :ohnoez:

I was going to take the kids until I heard about the, um, spoiler to come...

...heart-eating scene.

Seriously, WTF?

Off camera... but it did happen. :sick:

What?! In a Lone Ranger movie?

...heart-eating scene.

Seriously, WTF?

Well they pulled someone's heart OUT in a Indiana Jones movie... AND showed it :o

Not much difference.... ;)

This guy worded it well...

The $220 million film was sold as a glorified sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean, with Johnny Depp as Tonto and Gore Verbinski in the director’s chair once again. But the reviews were (unnecessarily) harsh and only the very last trailer actually made the film look worth checking out. I say tragedy because it’s actually a better film than you’ve heard. It’s too long and its tonally inconsistent, but it’s also an incredibly subversive and challenging fable that uses the prototypical wild west hero and his Native American sidekick to tell a story that is knee deep in the moral rot of that era, standing as a parable for any one of America’s cultural sins that we don’t have the strength/courage to acknowledge. It’s not an entirely good movie, but it’s far meatier and thoughtful than the soulless cash-in that the film was presumed to be and/or advertised as.

Yeah, that's how to make a blockbuster. Insult your core audience with PC retconning, rub their faces in some 'cultural sin'. That ought to make bank.

Why not just invite folks down to the theater for an asswhipping? Save the 200 mill.

This was going to be my family's summer movie. Because of this, we will be passing and hoping Pacific Rim is pre-teen friendly.

...heart-eating scene.

Seriously, WTF?

As I recall, we see it as a reflection in The Lone Ranger's eyeball(actually, before he becomes The Lone Ranger).

I saw the previews and could tell it was going to be a box office flop. The western died in the 60's sure a few films here and there are big, but it is not enough to revitalize the entire concept. Let the western stay dead.

I wouldn't go that far. I'm a big fan of Unforgiven and Silverado.

Lets see about one western every 4 to 5 years in the theaters that does well does not equal success most flop. So yes the western died in the late 60's.

You have a rather unpleasant posting style.

Cause I state the truth and you can't handle it. You should stay on topic instead of directly attacking posters

Some of the best westerns where in the 70's dude. Silverado and Tombstone are to most excellent movies, but you are forgetting The Outlaw Jose Wales, They call me Trinity, and Trinity is still my name. There are a lot of great westerns out, so for you to call them dead? Way off the mark!!!

The Outlaw Jose Wales

Love this movie! The Ten Bears meeting was one of the best scenes, and it didn't even require a final fight to make it tense and worth watching.

The Outlaw Jose Wales

Love this movie! The Ten Bears meeting was one of the best scenes, and it didn't even require a final fight to make it tense and worth watching.

Remake, REMAKE!! Clint Eastwood had already been in an oater. Disqualified!! :sumo:

The $220 million film was sold as a glorified sequel to Pirates of the Caribbean, with Johnny Depp as Tonto and Gore Verbinski in the director’s chair once again. But the reviews were (unnecessarily) harsh and only the very last trailer actually made the film look worth checking out. I say tragedy because it’s actually a better film than you’ve heard. It’s too long and its tonally inconsistent, but it’s also an incredibly subversive and challenging fable that uses the prototypical wild west hero and his Native American sidekick to tell a story that is knee deep in the moral rot of that era, standing as a parable for any one of America’s cultural sins that we don’t have the strength/courage to acknowledge. It’s not an entirely good movie, but it’s far meatier and thoughtful than the soulless cash-in that the film was presumed to be and/or advertised as.

Yeah, that's how to make a blockbuster. Insult your core audience with PC retconning, rub their faces in some 'cultural sin'. That ought to make bank.

Why not just invite folks down to the theater for an asswhipping? Save the 200 mill.

This was going to be my family's summer movie. Because of this, we will be passing and hoping Pacific Rim is pre-teen friendly.

I don't remember any cultural sin. If portraying natives as something other than mindless savages is too offensive for some viewers then I guess it takes all kinds.

...heart-eating scene.

Seriously, WTF?

Well they pulled someone's heart OUT in a Indiana Jones movie... AND showed it :o

And it was awesome. Kids today are wussies.

And some Tonto to keep the Depp comparisons going ... ;)

img209_zpsa46dc025.jpg

pizapcom108329794229939581373239044106_zpsdb64645f.jpg

He soldout his people for cheap Sears catalog watch. Was probably one of the funniest lines in the movie.

P.S. did anybody else get excited when they showed the Marvel movie trailers?

...heart-eating scene.

Seriously, WTF?

And it was awesome. Kids today are wussies.

Totally. I was 12 when Temple Of Doom came out, and it had absolutely zero detrimental effect on me. Didn't freak me out a bit.

I don't remember any cultural sin. If portraying natives as something other than mindless savages is too offensive for some viewers then I guess it takes all kinds.

Why quote/slur me in this string? I haven't even seen the film. If you want to take the moral high ground and create false equivalencies, at least do it with those who can disagree with you soundly.

I saw the previews and could tell it was going to be a box office flop. The western died in the 60's sure a few films here and there are big, but it is not enough to revitalize the entire concept. Let the western stay dead.

I wouldn't go that far. I'm a big fan of Unforgiven and Silverado.

Lets see about one western every 4 to 5 years in the theaters that does well does not equal success most flop. So yes the western died in the late 60's.

You have a rather unpleasant posting style.

Cause I state the truth and you can't handle it. You should stay on topic instead of directly attacking posters

lol

how-to-win-friends-and-influnce-people.jpg

lol