• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Took it right in the spoon from ComicConnect auction...

94 posts in this topic

Bought some raw Harvey Horrors from a ComicConnect auction, paid out the wazoo for the higher grades of course. Had them submitted to CGC and am very blown away by the difference...

Examples -

Chamber of Chills 5 - advertised as 9.0 came back as 6.5

Chamber of Chills 16 - advertised as 9.4 came back as 7.5

Chamber of Chills 11 - advertised as 9.2 came back as 7.0

Chamber of Chills 10 - advertised as 9.0 came back as 7.0

Amazing. I can understand even up to a point but this is insane. Has anyone dealt with this? I know their return policy is 10 days...but obviously I bought them and had them sent off asap.

Bought some raw Harvey Horrors from a ComicConnect auction, paid out the wazoo for the higher grades of course. Had them submitted to CGC and am very blown away by the difference...

Examples -

Chamber of Chills 5 - advertised as 9.0 came back as 6.5

Chamber of Chills 16 - advertised as 9.4 came back as 7.5

Chamber of Chills 11 - advertised as 9.2 came back as 7.0

Chamber of Chills 10 - advertised as 9.0 came back as 7.0

Amazing. I can understand even up to a point but this is insane. Has anyone dealt with this? I know their return policy is 10 days...but obviously I bought them and had them sent off asap.

Were they Harvey file copies by any chance Gabe? They are notorious for interior tanning even though structurally high grade in appearance..

Pages came out as cream/ o/w...they really don't look to be the grades they were assigned. I just spoke with CC and they are going to look at them but 'cannot promise anything'. I sure hope they can help because this was very unsettling.

Could you not tell that they weren't in the advertised grade when you got them though?

This was going to be my next question if he looked the books over before sending to CGC

Could you not tell that they weren't in the advertised grade when you got them though?

This was going to be my next question if he looked the books over before sending to CGC

+1

Did CGC unfairly hammer them or was Metro totally off?

That's the kicker...I've been collecting my whole life. I'm no expert grader...but I would have easily agreed with CC or Metro on the grading of these. In fact, the only one I thought was a little overgraded came back HIGHER than they advertised!!

+1

I haven't submitted any books in quite a while, but I remember them being tough on IC tanning in the past

That's the kicker...I've been collecting my whole life. I'm no expert grader...but I would have easily agreed with CC or Metro on the grading of these. In fact, the only one I thought was a little overgraded came back HIGHER than they advertised!!

If you submit books you should know what CGC hammers and what they're lenient on. Otherwise you'll be in for disappointment from time to time

+1

I haven't submitted any books in quite a while, but I remember them being tough on IC tanning in the past

THIS!

I had a SA Sub mariner 1 recently that i thought was 9.4-9.6 that came back 8.0 for interior tanning :frustrated:

I assume you didnt spend even more money for the graders notes?

Well...I haven't seen them grade too crazy on cream to o/w pages, in fact MOST of my high grade Harvey pre-codes are all cream to o/w...and I've collected super high grade comics long enough to know a 6.5 from a 9.0 or so I thought. Something just seems so off about this batch!

Well...I haven't seen them grade too crazy on cream to o/w pages, in fact MOST of my high grade Harvey pre-codes are all cream to o/w...and I've collected super high grade comics long enough to know a 6.5 from a 9.0 or so I thought. Something just seems so off about this batch!

Gabe, when you say "off" do you think cgc was off with their grading or was CC off? Do you have the scans of the books that CC had up on their site? It would be interesting to see the slabbed scans and the before.